Join Early Retirement Today

Re: is there such a thing as OVER FRUGAL
Old 09-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

If anyone is interested. The book

A Pattern Language Towns Buildings Construction
by Alexander Ishikawa and Silverstien

is a very good (classic) book that talks about the relation between towns, buildings, space, and living. Also it is broken down into 2 or 3 page topics so easy to read.*
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Moghopper- thanks for the link!

And Wildcat, thanks for the info on the Cubs.

OldAgePensioner: There are 3 of us adults. We will be arriving for a week on Sept. 15th as long as the airlines don't run out of fuel before then!

Anonimitycity: Thanks for the info on Wright and the museums.

I was excited before but after reading everyones helpful posts, I can't wait!

Momtwo

Momtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:52 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Momtwo,
Here are a few money saving suggestions.

Both airports are connected to the city by $1.75 trains (very clean/very safe) O'Hare is Blue Line and Midway is Orange Line. Both will save you the $30 taxi fare. Both will get you smack in the middle of "downtown". If you arrive in daylight hours, the ride in give a great skyline view.

On Michigan Ave, there are free trolley boarding/stops. A little open air bus that takes you on a tour of downtown.

You can visit Navy Pier and sit out on the end and watch the boats and air and sun and people. Go there on Wed or Fri at 9 PM for the fireworks.

On Saturdays (especially) and Sundays, there are a lot of street performers. My favorites are 3 teenage Af-Am boys drumming on plastic buckets, a young pixie-like girl with flourescent velvety green paint on her and she does statue/mime, and some silver painted statue guy.

Get up at 5:45 and watch the sun come up over the lake. Like I'm doing now.

I really hope you enjoy this most enjoyable city.

OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:07 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
On Saturdays (especially) and Sundays, there are a lot of street performers. My favorites are 3 teenage Af-Am boys drumming on plastic buckets, a young pixie-like girl with flourescent velvety green paint on her and she does statue/mime, and some silver painted statue guy.
Let's be honest. Your favorites require binoculars to view.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #65

moghopper,
I only listed tourist viewing. Mine shall remain mine. Apt 14e, Unit 2302, 43J, etc. If you want some pix, let me know.

But, that elfen-like, young lady is a real doll. Seriously, if she makes it thru acting or dance or theater or music training, I will be happy. She really has a mesmerizing act. Best of luck to her.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:06 AM   #66
Administrator

When are you too frugal? When it affects others. My wife's older sister and her husband are legends in the family with their frugal spending, and no one would mind if they didn't impose it on others.

They are very well off. He is a senior civil servant in the UK, with an official briefcase carrying the letters OHMS. (Although he tells us that it stands for "Only Holds My Sandwiches" ).

I could write pages of stories about them but will restrict myself to describing what visits to their house is like. Although their last name is Campbell and they live in Edinburgh, they are English, but behave very much in the stereotypical Scot's manner of frugality. (It is said in Scotland that when a census is taken, they just go to each street in a town, roll a coin down the middle and count the people as they come out of their houses )

Even in the height of summer the outside temperature rarely climbs into the 70's (and never when we are there ). They keep the thermostat on the heating at 62 on those occaisions when they do actually turn it on. The hot water is only turned on when it is needed and is at a temperature just hot enough for a shower. Being early risers the morning routine is for one of us to get out of bed and run downstairs to turn on the hot water then scurry back up and under the bedclothes (wouldn't dare turn on the central heating that early in the morning which is on a timer). After 30 minutes we'll go to the bathroom. I'll shave while still wearing PJ's, socks and sometimes a sweater if it's really cold. The shower is warm enough, but getting dried and clothed before hyperthermia sets in is always a challenge :P.

If it is dry outside then walking is a good way to warm up because it is very hilly and picturesque. When we were there in April this year for a wedding it was foggy and snowing, and also staying with us was his mother, a wonderful lady who we love dearly. Although she gives them a hard time they only make some concessions such as putting the heating on for the WHOLE day (but the thermostat stays at 62). She even brings her own teabags and offers them around instead of the floorsweepings they use.

Each to his own I suppose.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #67

Is it one of those cool red briefcases like the minister in "Yes, Minister" has?

I never turned on my radiators for 10 years there. The neighbors heated my flat.

If ever you need to get out of jail in England, give me a call. I have dozens of friends in the MOD police section.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #68

Wow Alan, your wife's sister even puts me to shame.

I have always thought, if I won a huge lottery paying $1000k after tax a year for life, I would probably only spend $700k - $800k of that, just to be safe.

MJ
Old 09-04-2005, 10:04 AM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Wow Alan, your wife's sister even puts me to shame. MJ
As I say, she and her husband (also called Alan) are "legends" in both their households.* Their 2 sons are in their mid-20's and certainly don't seem to have picked up the excessive habits, and regularly joke about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAP
Is it one of those cool red briefcases like the minister in "Yes, Minister" has?
No, it was not red, and I don't believe they issue them these days.* Alan's got destroyed when he was run over by a car one day.* He gets the bus into work in Edinburgh from Balerno and is prone to leaving early with a few pals on a Friday to go for a pint or three.* He came out of the pub one afternoon, stepped out from behind a bus and was hit hard enough by a car to knock him up over the bonnet and roof and knock him out for a minute or more.* He came too behind the car with a crowd of concerned people around him.* The driver took him to the ER where he was told nothing was broken, just bruises.* Obviously the alcohol had loosened up all the muscles
Old 09-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #70

Alan, I've had many a pinta in Edinburgh (love the place) and then wobble over to Waverly Station for the train back south. Over on the Royal Mile, there is a "ouisge" museum and the samples can really be potent. 15-18 year old Laphroiag, or Talisker can loosen up the muscles alot.

On topic, I like being frugal and I have a minimalist lifestyle but when it comes to friends and family, I'm a sucker. I like having a good time so the money flows like wine. But those times are not to be missed.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pay myself first (401k, MF, MM, mort), so what I have left is "play" money. After all, you might meet the aforementioned bus sometime...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
I pay myself first (401k, MF, MM, mort), so what I have left is "play" money. After all, you might meet the aforementioned bus sometime...
I agree with this absolutely and follow the same practice 8)

I loved the single malt before we moved to Scotalnd in '85 and had heard that the Scots never their whisky without water.* Not quite true.* In reality they never drink their water without whisky.* * And at Hogmany (New Year) they allow 2 public holidays to recover from the celebrations.* I've been there and can appreciate why*

Incidentally, I like to keep in a selection of malts and my favorite is Laphroiag, so I am right there with you OAP* 8)
Old 09-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #73

Laphroiag has some kick, must be the peat.* * Ahhh, Hogmany. Never kissed so many people in skirts.* And a few were women.

The streets of Edinburgh on a frosty New Year's eve is a place not to be missed. Those raven haired Scottish lasses can really warm the cockles.*
Old 09-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
15-18 year old Laphroiag, or Talisker can loosen up the muscles alot.
Laphroiag
Talisker

The Islay malts usually have the peaty tastes.

Love Lagavulin and Bowmores (some of them) as well
Old 09-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #75
Administrator

After reading a lot of Dalziel & Pascoe detective books by Reginald Hill (very amusing if you like witty Yorkshire humor) I decided to try Highland Park which is a very flavorful Orkney malt of similar calibre to the Islay malts. I recommend it to anyone that likes Laphroaig.

(in the books, Inspector Dalziel is a connoisseur of malts and Highland Park is one of his favorites)
Old 09-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I decided to try Highland Park which is a very flavorful Orkney malt of similar calibre to the Islay malts. I recommend it to anyone that likes Laphroaig.
Yes, agree it is very tasty.

I've been enjoying Caol Ila 12 year old lately. Also quite peaty.

Hmmm....started out as over frugal, and the discussion has been hijacked to distinctly non-frugal single-malts.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #77

Yes our frugality only need apply to what the wife or girlfriend wants. Single malt is a true necessity.

Caol Ila, ahh yes.

Alan and bosco, here is where I shopped. http://www.wineandwhisky.co.uk/ This shop had 3 ladies in their late 20's who knew their single malts. Unchillfiltered is the way.

Alan, you may have visited here and tasted the best fish&chips in England at Bizzie Lizzies. Fish&chips, 2 times or fish&chips times two, depending on the locals and some gravy or brown sauce on the chips and some crunchie bits. Ahh, I miss England.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Alan, you may have visited here and tasted the best fish&chips in England at Bizzie Lizzies. Fish&chips, 2 times or fish&chips times two, depending on the locals and some gravy or brown sauce on the chips and some crunchie bits. Ahh, I miss England.
OAP, I read your longing for the culinary delights of the UK and "methinks you've blown a leak in your bubble & squeak".

REW
Old 09-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #79

REW, but my Toad-in-the-Hole, Bangers&Mash and Spotted Dick are just fine.

I actually liked bubble and squeak.

After talking about single malt scotch and English food, I'm wondering if the scotch was for thinning out the blood.

REWahoo, here was my local fish&chips, yummmy.

http://tinyurl.com/dqy6c

EDIT to reduce URL

Old 09-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
Alan and bosco, here is where I shopped.* http://www.wineandwhisky.co.uk/* This shop had 3 ladies in their late 20's who knew their single malts.* Unchillfiltered is the way.
Very interesting. I've been to Skipton many times but have never been to that store. It looks great. I'll try and remember to go visit next time we are over.

For fish and chips my home town is hard to beat ( http://www.seaham.com/ ). However, Seaham is hardly on the usual tourist trail. A very popular town however is Whitby, and Whitby Cod and chips is simply superb. http://www.whitby.co.uk/

The witching hour is almost here, time for a wee dram methinks.