Join Early Retirement Today
Re: is this a good plan?
Old 03-09-2004, 03:10 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a 1860 colt original and a original 1858 rem, new model army. I was going to sell them but decided to keep them as the money was not that important and I would never get them in my collection again. I sold off 14 guns. including a m1 garand, m1 carbine, 2 k98s, ak hunter, krag 98, and the only one of the bunch I miss the smith corona 03a3, but I need to slim down to move south, and I am keeping all the ww2 hand guns walther p38 cyq, walther pp, 1918 colt 1911, and I can always have fun going to gun shows and looking and if I run across a good deal on a o3 or o3a3 I can always pick it up. the gun ban is going off this august and if all goes well I can pick up a chicom ak with under fold stock for 289 like in the old days. I still have my chicom ak solid stock and 2 chicom sks and one russian sks. along with 70 other guns. argh. its tough to be adicted to collecting. oh well better than drugs. at least I can sell them later, and many times make a profit. the ak hunter is the only one I sold that I lost money on. as I bought in the high times of frenzy buying when the clinton gun ban took off in 94, on another note Well we bought it. the keystone travel trailer,the one we wanted came in the color we liked. but came with a white radio "looks kind of chinchy, and no stove. I have heard that the major stove factory has been 3months behind, but the dealer will trade the stove and radio from the other keystone and put it in to ours. some don’t feel the need to have a stove. but I do baking. We found a 97 jako with solid oak cabs. and a few extra features that we liked. but for only 2k less the draw of new with a warrantee was to much, and my home and 73 acres are for sale. so sell or not I am going south this winter. we have been looking at places very close and I have found that florida land is getting expensive, so deland and leesburg is going down on the list. believe it or not the price is appx 17k an acre, wow. to high. but in arkansas you can pick up a new 3k square foot home with 2 car gradge and 30 acres for 189k taxes are not free but you get 300 for home stead and there is a tax on personal property vehicals and trailers but it is on the honor system for trailers and orvs. so you can guess I am not going to give the gov. any help in spending my money. I would rather invest it for them in a mut fund. louisiana is even better you get a 75k home stead exempt. then on the balance they take 10% of the balance and tax you on that so if your home is valued at 100k you are taxed on 10% of 25k, not to bad. and the property prices are good as arkansas.

ed_teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2004, 04:16 AM   #22

Hello ed-teach! Arkansas is not far enough south for us,
but we too are (finally) headed south next winter as
we bought a condo in Texas. Wife said "I will not stay here another winter!" I opined that I recalled she said the same thing last year. She said "This time I mean it!" We looked at the Deland, Fla. area pretty carefully.
Liked it there, but I used to live in Texas so
my comfort level was higher for that area. Plus, I did
not like the idea of starting from scratch looking at an area where I had not spent considerable time. This
is a huge advantage before retirement relocation.

Re. "guns", I used to own a pile but sold them off over the years. Just kept a few, but like you I love gun shows. My son followed the same path. At one time his home resembled an arsenal. He is down to just a few
now also. It's a good place to keep your "hobby money"

John Galt

Old 03-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

well the trailer will be a nice place to stay while I look around in the three main places I like. louisiana fla. and arkansas. fla is looking farther and farther away as the property prices are so darn high. seventeen k for a lot. to much, arkansas has 4000 foot homes new on thirtyfive acres for 165k, and snow fall is appx 3 to 4 inches a year. winter lasts from jan to feb. and spring starts blooming in march.

ed_teach is offline   Reply With Quote