Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is this a good reason not to draw from taxable account first?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is this a good reason not to draw from taxable account first?

I understand why the conventional wisdom is to draw down taxable accounts before tax deferred. However, what if one had a taxable account equal to 10% of their tax deferred account (and no other significant assets) parked in a fund of highest quality short term bonds at the start of the next major bear market? I'd use the taxable account to pay taxes on ROTH conversions or buy tax-efficient assets.

I prefer responses in the form of rules of thumb or that show the obvious drawbacks of this idea. Trying to calculate the idea's advantage or disadvantage relative to drawing down the taxable account first has too many unknowns to be useful, IMHO.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At 10% I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's handy in an emergency, either as taxable or if you end up Roth converting, available as a lump sum without a big tax hit. The Roth would be a better place for bonds. You could use the tax deferred to fill up a tax bracket and top off your income from the taxable, but only in small amounts.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 but I think it would be better to have some equities in your taxable account if you're in the 15% bracket (or lower) and qualified dividends and LTCG are at 0%. have you used Taxcaster to see what the tax on your planned Roth conversions would be?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It makes sense to me to use taxable funds to pay taxes on Roth conversions whether or not I knew it was the start of a major bear market.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I understand why the conventional wisdom is to draw down taxable accounts before tax deferred. However, what if one had a taxable account equal to 10% of their tax deferred account (and no other significant assets) parked in a fund of highest quality short term bonds at the start of the next major bear market? I'd use the taxable account to pay taxes on ROTH conversions or buy tax-efficient assets.

I prefer responses in the form of rules of thumb or that show the obvious drawbacks of this idea. Trying to calculate the idea's advantage or disadvantage relative to drawing down the taxable account first has too many unknowns to be useful, IMHO.
If taxable is only 10% compared to tax-deferred, I don't think you need to worry about drawing from it first. It's probably best to leave it or let it get larger.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 but I think it would be better to have some equities in your taxable account if you're in the 15% bracket (or lower) and qualified dividends and LTCG are at 0%. have you used Taxcaster to see what the tax on your planned Roth conversions would be?
Since FIRE I've had equities in my taxable account when there was 2+ years of living expenses (no SS yet) and I was optimistic about the the market. Now I'm pessimistic. I want my reserve in something that isn't going to tank as a bear market in equities.

Yes to Taxcaster. It was key in deciding how much reserve to keep in the taxable. I didn't want to convert too much in one year because the taxes would be OUCH!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If taxable is only 10% compared to tax-deferred, I don't think you need to worry about drawing from it first. It's probably best to leave it or let it get larger.
My conclusion too. If the assumptions of the projection tools turned out to be true, the advantage was small. A reserve for buying or conversion opportunities has more intangible worth to me.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #8

We pull Divs, and CGs (when needed) from taxable accounts (40% of investments) to live on currently along with SS - due to ACA subsidy. Will be looking at Roth conversions in a couple of years when Medicare comes into play (Roths are 15% of current investments). We're planning to keep most of our taxable funds for emergencies, large purchases, etc. Want options for access to funds that would minimize the overall taxable cost of any such purchase, and possibly trigger hitting a higher income tax bracket as well, (or selling Roth accounts that provide tax free income through Divs and CGs - also when needed).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote