Join Early Retirement Today

Is this AA a mistake right now?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is this AA a mistake right now?

I currently have approx an $800k traditional IRA at Vanguard split 50/50 between Wellsley and Wellington. I chose these two funds based on their somewhat consistent performance and their dividend payouts. Dividends are currently being reinvested. I won't need to touch this account for 4-5 years.

I noticed this IRA hasn't benefited very much from the recent market run-up so I was wondering if I should be more aggressive in my fund choices given the current financial climate.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I noticed this IRA hasn't benefited very much from the recent market run-up so I was wondering if I should be more aggressive in my fund choices given the current financial climate.
No, don't chase market returns. My experience is you'll end up zigging when you should have zagged...
Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #3

I don't follow Vanguard that closely, and would love to see the internal AA breakdown of those two funds. Therein lies the answer.

I'd also like to see the Expense Ratios of the big two.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund costs 0.16%/year and is allocated 62% bonds, 37% stocks (1% cash).
Vanguard Wellington Fund costs 0.18%/year and flips that allocation around to 65% stocks and 32% bonds (2% cash).

If you plan to sell it all in 4 years, the 62% bond allocation makes more sense. If you're accumulating for retirement, the 65% stocks allocation makes more sense. I'd favor allocating in index funds myself (Vanguard Total Stock / Total Bond) where you could also diversify to international.
OverThinkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #5

Ouch....that's pretty heavy on the Bond side for Wellesley in this environment. Wouldn't an Expense Ratio of 0.18% on $800K be on the high end at $1500 ??
Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are more aggressive, you will get hurt more should the market drop significantly.
Are you OK with that possibility?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
If you are more aggressive, you will get hurt more should the market drop significantly.
Are you OK with that possibility?
If I changed funds, it would probably be 70% total stock mkt and 30% bonds. So yes, I'd be okay with some risk.

I guess I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed that I haven't seen more growth in the Wellington fund since it's 65% stocks.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post

I guess I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed that I haven't seen more growth in the Wellington fund since it's 65% stocks.
The bond portion of both Wellesley and Wellington took a big hit over the past couple of weeks. That really hurt returns compared to equity only funds.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WADR, IMO it is foolish to make a move based on anything less than a year's performance... and preferable 3-5 years, but I'm a long-term investor.

Besides comparing it to "the recent market run-up" is inappropriate... you should compare it to other 50/50 portfolios.

You say you bought these because of their somewhat consistent performance and their dividend payouts... none of that has changed... so stay the course.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

Thank you all for your replies. As suggested, I believe I will stay the course.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The bond portion of both Wellesley and Wellington took a big hit over the past couple of weeks. That really hurt returns compared to equity only funds.
I've seen and experienced the same thing in my 401K. Why is it not time to lighten up on bonds? Rates have been low for a very long time. It seems like that's about to change, which has been suspected for quite some time as well.

I'm thinking about cutting my bond exposure by about half. No?
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No, don't chase market returns. My experience is you'll end up zigging when you should have zagged...
+1 - Don't ever try and chase the puck.....

Stay the course, it was a good decision when you made it for a reason.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I've seen and experienced the same thing in my 401K. Why is it not time to lighten up on bonds? Rates have been low for a very long time. It seems like that's about to change, which has been suspected for quite some time as well.

I'm thinking about cutting my bond exposure by about half. No?
You may be correct - or like the many gurus who have been predicting higher interest rates and increased inflaton "any minute now" for the past several years, you may be wrong.

Many of us choose to select an asset allocation for a reason, and stick with it - rebalancing as needed. Others choose to attempt to time the market and some may do well using that strategy. I'm not one of those, you may be.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1

I have a tiny Roth IRA that is about $12,000 right now. I allow myself to invest within this IRA according to my hunches instead of sticking to my planned asset allocation as I do for the rest of my portfolio. It helps me by getting these market timing ideas out of my system.

So far, after many years of this, my Roth IRA has done much more poorly than my main accounts which are governed by my dull, boring, financial plan. Proof that I zigged when I should have zagged.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I've been doing that this year. Secular trends are your friend, and over the decades I've done well making investment decisions based on them. YMMV.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Bonds have been predicted to do poorly for several years now--and now they are. Personally we have stayed the course in what was about 50/50 bonds to equities (probably not that after the past week!). That might be a mistake but we'll live with it.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Bonds have been predicted to do poorly for several years now--and now they are. Personally we have stayed the course in what was about 50/50 bonds to equities (probably not that after the past week!). That might be a mistake but we'll live with it.
Wouldn't that be a "rebalancing event" rather than a "mistake"?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wouldn't that be a "rebalancing event" rather than a "mistake"?
Many many people consider me unbalanced.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Many many people consider me unbalanced.
Honestly?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus