Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
There's a whole movement of people these days interested in less consumerism, working less, leaving a smaller environmental foot print and having more time for leisure and community involvement, so I doubt he would have a hard time finding friends with similar interests if he doesn't have some already.
well good for them. Hopefully they can find a way to be productive members of society once they find themselves.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
well good for them. Hopefully they can find a way to be productive members of society once they find themselves.
It never really occurred to me to think that people who worked at grocery stores were not productive members of society. In fact, these days they probably are a lot more productive members of society than I am.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It never really occurred to me to think that people who worked at grocery stores were not productive members of society. In fact, these days they probably are a lot more productive members of society than I am.
He's subsisting. He has a lot more to offer society than stocking shelves.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He's subsisting. He has a lot more to offer society than stocking shelves.
So if he volunteers at a soup kitchen or animal shelter on his days off, writes poetry, volunteers for a political campaign, leads hikes for an environmental group, plants a garden, joins a community theater group or spends time with his parents that doesn't count as productive? Only things he does for money count as productive?

We have links to articles here frequently on how many people in the U.S. work full-time, have good incomes, live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings with retirement looming. This guy has a low enough overhead living on SS might not be too challenging, plus he will have been semi-retired for many years.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 07-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my friends are extremely interesting as they all have graduate degrees in various fields: pilots, attorneys, doctors and small business owners. Oh, lots of FAs.

We play golf for free and enjoy hanging out at the club, the ski hill and at each others houses. Maybe that sounds boring but I dig it.

Grocery store guy can have his water, meditation and extreme frugality. I'm not into subsisting.
A pilot, an attorney, and a doctor walk into a bar.

Just kidding, they're too busy working!
Old 07-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #186
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
my friends are extremely interesting as they all have graduate degrees in various fields: pilots, attorneys, doctors and small business owners. Oh, lots of FAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
A pilot, an attorney, and a doctor walk into a bar.
I think the joke goes like this: A guy who lives on a golf course, lots of FA's and a part-time grocery clerk all walk into a bar...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's fine in your 40's or 50's (BTDT), but some of us find it to be less than ideal in our 60's and 70's. Often those of us older retirees find that our joints start to hurt a lot more than they did in our 50's, and it becomes harder to sleep on a floor, or to get up from the floor, the older we get. So, you might want to keep that in mind for your longer term plans.
my joints already hurt and im only 50 so no floors or sleeping in car for me
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #188
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I could convince my wife to sell this albatross of a house I would be perfectly content in a one bedroom oceanfront condo on the outer banks. Maybe one day. Nothing wrong with minimalist living.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We play golf for free and enjoy hanging out at the club, the ski hill and at each others houses. Maybe that sounds boring but I dig it.
I'm glad to hear you have a lifestyle you enjoy, but overall both golf as a hobby and country club memberships have been in decline in the U.S. for some time. It is not a lifestyle everyone is interested in.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you have a lifestyle you enjoy, but overall both golf as a hobby and country club memberships have been in decline in the U.S. for some time. It is not a lifestyle everyone is interested in.
Really? Maybe in some select areas where golf courses were overbuilt, but...Getting a good tee time around here requires calling a week in advance. And that at private courses where you are a member. The public ones are jammed all the time also.

Our club just upped its membership fee to $50K as there is too much demand from the influx of new people with new jobs in the area. And one very exclusive course in our township went private (members bought out the developer/owner) to limit the number of members.

I've been playing golf seriously for decades and have belonged to private courses in three states (CA, MI, TX) and all I see is crowded courses and more and more people playing the game.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Really? Maybe in some select areas where golf courses were overbuilt, but...
No, statistically in the U.S. as a whole:

Why Americans Fell Out of Love with Golf
"The number of young people, aged 18 to 30, playing the game has sagged nearly 35 percent over the last decade. "Every macro-indicator that we've been looking at for the past 20 years -- rounds played, number of minorities playing, women coming into the game -- all of these things that we tracked says that there's less people playing."

Why Golf is in Decline in America - article from the Economist
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

I live in a more rural area with smallish 5k-10k towns nearby in a non retirement area. But quite a few golf courses within 50 miles any direction. Green fees havent changed much in 10-15 years. I do not see many younger people playing. I think golf the rap of being "expensive" and "takes too long to play" hurt it. Our frequent twice weekly "senior scrambles" which may entail a 45 min. drive, can pretty much piss away almost an equivalent to an 8 hour work shift leaving to coming home. So I can see the time factor as a negative. And most people around here do not have a lot of discretionary income. The local course a mile from my house isnt a high quality course, but for $350 a year, I can play whenever I want with a cart and no traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

"The number of young people, aged 18 to 30, playing the game has sagged nearly 35 percent over the last decade. "Every macro-indicator that we've been looking at for the past 20 years -- rounds played, number of minorities playing, women coming into the game -- all of these things that we tracked says that there's less people playing."

People aged 18 to 30....(good group, although not all golfers).

All those folks are at work! Do you really expect them to be playing golf? And on weekends, they are doing stuff with their toddlers.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I live in a more rural area with smallish 5k-10k towns nearby in a non retirement area. But quite a few golf courses within 50 miles any direction. Green fees havent changed much in 10-15 years. I do not see many younger people playing. I think golf the rap of being "expensive" and "takes too long to play" hurt it. Our frequent twice weekly "senior scrambles" which may entail a 45 min. drive, can pretty much piss away almost an equivalent to an 8 hour work shift leaving to coming home. So I can see the time factor as a negative. And most people around here do not have a lot of discretionary income. The local course a mile from my house isnt a high quality course, but for $350 a year, I can play whenever I want with a cart and no traffic.

Hey Mulligan, I know where you live (You told me) and it's mostly farmland and woods. $350 is better spent on a chain saw! (just kidding, some of those rural courses are a lot of fun)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
People aged 18 to 30....(good group, although not all golfers).

All those folks are at work! Do you really expect them to be playing golf? And on weekends, they are doing stuff with their toddlers.
I just put one quote in as a sample. You can Google searches like "golf on decline" and see all the articles and additional statistics on people leaving the sport and golf course and club closures.

Here is a quote from the Economist article in the link above:

"In 2006 some 30m Americans were golfers. But since then golf has hit a rough patch. And it is now struggling to attract a new generation of American players. In 2013, 160 of the country’s 14,600 golf facilities closed, the 8th consecutive year of net closures. The number of players has fallen to around 25m."

From a Bloomberg article, Golf Market Stuck in Bunkers as Thousands Leave Sport

"The golf industry is in the rough. Once the go-to activity for corporate bonding, the sport is suffering from an exodus of players, a lack of interest among millennials and the mass closure of courses."
Old 07-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Aja, I was hearing a few chainsaws yesterday. Storms blew a few trees down and the owners had to get rid of them. Luckily I only have leaves all over my yard. The area courses always need the money, so one guy will be in charge and call an area course each week and negotiates $20 green fees with donuts, coffee, along with sandwich, chips, and drink for lunch promising about 100 players showing to play.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

it's declining because new players find the game too difficult and requires too much effort to learn

i.e. quitters
Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Our club just upped its membership fee to $50K as there is too much demand from the influx of new people with new jobs in the area. And one very exclusive course in our township went private (members bought out the developer/owner) to limit the number of members.
the woodlands or bentwater?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it's declining because new players find the game too difficult and requires too much effort to learn

i.e. quitters

Its unlearnable that is why they don't play!! Yesterday, I hit a 7 iron 165 yard par 3 to 6 inches of cup, easy birdie... Next hole I drive the 309 yard par 4 green, two putt easy bird. Next 3 holes...Off tee box....unplayable, OB, lost in the woods...

Old 07-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Its unlearnable that is why they don't play!! Yesterday, I hit a 7 iron 165 yard par 3 to 6 inches of cup, easy birdie... Next hole I drive the 309 yard par 4 green, two putt easy bird. Next 3 holes...Off tee box....unplayable, OB, lost in the woods...

no turkey?

that's the price you pay for two tweets in a row lol