Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
If I could convince my wife to sell this albatross of a house I would be perfectly content in a one bedroom oceanfront condo on the outer banks. Maybe one day. Nothing wrong with minimalist living.
+1

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I agree. But, I raised the question in the spirit of the thread. And, I wanted to toss the wealthy guy in "to even things up."
The grocery store guy could probably buy 4 -5 years of not having to work at all for the $100K membership fee. As aaronc879 said any option is a valid choice depending on an individual's priorities.

We have considered moving to a beach condo, too. We have enjoyed renting small condos on vacation in Hawaii where we were outside most of the time anyway.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with what (most) people are saying - It is possible to live like a college student on a relatively small amount per year. You can do this if you only make $15 K a year or if you make $1.5MM/year.

THe difference is that the person who makes $1.5MM/year has the option to live differently from the college student lifestyle if they choose. That is where I want to be - if I want to live cheaply, great. But, if I want to splurge once in a while, moreso the better.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote