Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
...online cum grano salis.
Last time I did that I nearly got arrested. That stuff is still illegal here in the South, what with our decency laws and all.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Math / Physics Academic PhD can take 5-8 years beyond Bachelors. Less than 4 is better than average. The course work can be done quickly, but adding to that Field's body of knowledge can take some time.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I sort of went sideways. graduated HS at 16, BSEE at 20, went to night school to get MS at 28 and MBA from UCLA at 31.
But the key thing was my Dad starting me investing at a very young age. I remember reading the stock pages with him and discussing investing. Thank you Dad!!!!
I worked overseas for 3 years after graduation and my earnings were tax free, which allowed me to save a bunch, as I was single and had not developed any vices at that time.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My birthday is at the end of June, so I graduated from high school at 15 and college at 19!

My great-great-grandfather graduated from law school (U Mich '82 ... 1882) at 19 and had to wait two years to take the bar.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Wow, it took you to 25 to get a doctorate? I had my first at 23.

It was "only" a juris doctorate so barely counts.
You would think that with all that edu-mu-cation you would have learned that you earned a Juris DOCTOR degree...not a doctorate.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I feel so left out.

I don't have a PhD and got my BS when I was 31 years old. That good old military duty got in the way. I did get my MBA when I was 39 though (going at night).

I wish that poster on Reddeit luck though as he is going to need it.

Congratulations on all of you who worked very hard to get your PhD. I hope it was worth it!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
You would think that with all that edu-mu-cation you would have learned that you earned a Juris DOCTOR degree...not a doctorate.
You must be a lawyer.

It's a doctorate or a doctoral degree or a doctor's degree. Of the juris variety. And technically I didn't "earn" it, I was "admitted to the degree" according to the diploma (now collecting dust in my bedroom closet).
Old 07-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #28

I don't think everything written on the Internet needs to be taken seriously. At any rate, if he lives below his income, he could do it. If his real estate investment is in San Francisco, it could appreciate fast. But he could have just exaggerated some facts. Who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I agree, very risky. I sometimes think I have a risky approach in my own FIRE situation and I believe I am in the top 5%...

I wonder sometimes what goes though someone's head that thinks $2K a month is enough to live on forever. Even if it has a COLA, it's a small enough amount you have to think about every dollar spent and not spent.

I would rather have enough cushion to be able to spend another $20 if I have to.
I have an American friend who lives in Mexico and has been retired from RE since 2008. He lives on $250K with a tight budget and a tight wife. Owns his townhouse. Travels to Europe once a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
The Reddit poster seems to have nailed the frugality part of FIRE, but he also seems to have "shiny ball" syndrome where he'll chase the latest fad be it financial, health-related or whatever. I suspect we will later hear that this young man postponed ER after an ill-fated investment in electric cars, a can't-miss meditation studio or maybe copper!
Or he might marry a spendthrift...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I don't think everything written on the Internet needs to be taken seriously.
So how many words does this topic warrant (aside from how smart we all were in school. )
Old 07-04-2016, 01:32 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter@reddit
I was married previously, even during that time we rented out rooms in our house, it's just the way I like to live.
I wonder what could have gone wrong with this relationship.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #31

I wouldn't say it was bragging. I hated high school and was going to take over my fathers business sheet rocking. Thank god that went bankrupt during that years recession.

It took me till 24 to get my Associates, 31 for Bachelors, and 35 for MBA.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You must be a lawyer.
BITE YOUR TONGUE!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I feel so left out.

I don't have a PhD and got my BS when I was 31 years old. That good old military duty got in the way. I did get my MBA when I was 39 though (going at night).

You feel left out? Heck, I didn't even finish college! I do regret that from time to time. Yet had I done so, I'm not sure I'd have chosen to live my life any differently. I've had an interesting career, worked with many great people, and been sufficiently compensated. (Not to mention having been fortunate in timing and knowing the right people.) So my occasional "regret" is only that I left something uncompleted.

That said, I'm sure relieved that our kids all completed their undergraduate degrees! Though I don't anticipate any future doctorates unless we're talking about our grandkids.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
You feel left out? Heck, I didn't even finish college! I do regret that from time to time. Yet had I done so, I'm not sure I'd have chosen to live my life any differently. I've had an interesting career, worked with many great people, and been sufficiently compensated. (Not to mention having been fortunate in timing and knowing the right people.) So my occasional "regret" is only that I left something uncompleted.

That said, I'm sure relieved that our kids all completed their undergraduate degrees! Though I don't anticipate any future doctorates unless we're talking about our grandkids.
I was only speaking to the PhD crowd.

I hear ya. I am the only one in my family (except for my daughter) that went to college, and I paid my own way. That include my parents, two sisters, and their children. (although some of my sister's grandchildren may be currently in college). My current wife and her three children from her previous marriage did not go to college. Growing up in economically depressed areas of the U.S. was part of that result. The other was being born to the wrong parents.

But all is good and I wouldn't have changed a thing along the way.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was only speaking to the PhD crowd.

I hear ya. I am the only one in my family (except for my daughter) that went to college, and I paid my own way. That include my parents, two sisters, and their children. (although some of my sister's grandchildren may be currently in college). My current wife and her three children from her previous marriage did not go to college. Growing up in economically depressed areas of the U.S. was part of that result. The other was being born to the wrong parents.

But all is good and I wouldn't have changed a thing along the way.
This brings up a book I am reading by JD Vance. Basically, it's about his upbringing in the backwoods of Appalachia and how economically depressed it is. He "escaped" and went to served some time as an enlisted Marine and ultimately going to Yale Law School. I am about 1/2 way through and it's a pretty good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-Ele.../dp/0062300547
Old 07-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This brings up a book I am reading by JD Vance. Basically, it's about his upbringing in the backwoods of Appalachia and how economically depressed it is. He "escaped" and went to served some time as an enlisted Marine and ultimately going to Yale Law School. I am about 1/2 way through and it's a pretty good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-Ele.../dp/0062300547
Thanks, just scanned through the introduction. Reminds me of a time gone by, although some people are still living it today.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I didn't read all the comments but I don't think the guy is crazy. I actually think some posters here with more mainstream investments have much riskier plans. Software engineers are in high demand and make a lot - for plan B he is young enough he would just have to find contract work for a few months of the year to cover his living expenses as long as he keeps living like a college student with low expenses and shared housing. Robert Shiller has said the golden age of investing may be over, and recommends his students keep living like college students.

From what I have read in interviews, Vicki Robin from The Money or Your Life book lives in communal housing and enjoys it. At least some posters here have said college was the best years of their lives. Is living like a college student really so bad? Our kids and their friends seemed pretty happy living like college students, in fact happier than many of our working friends with high stress jobs, big mortgages on houses in the suburbs, long commutes and families to support. One of our kids makes a decent income these days and is actually moving to a larger space with an additional roommate. The roommates are all good friends and enjoy living together.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

From what I have read in interviews, Vicki Robin from The Money or Your Life book lives in communal housing and enjoys it. At least some posters here have said college was the best years of their lives. Is living like a college student really so bad? Our kids and their friends seemed pretty happy living like college students, in fact happier than many of our working friends with high stress jobs, mortgages and long commutes. One of our kids makes a decent income these days and is actually moving to a larger space with an additional roommate. The roommates are all good friends and enjoy living together.
It's all "party time" until the babies and bills start rearing their heads.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know what that means. They all have decent incomes in STEM jobs or will graduate soon in a similar major. Bills aren't an issue and I think it is common these days for young adults in white collar jobs to marry and have families later in life. Or not marry or have kids at all. We have many child free and single members here.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
From what I have read in interviews, Vicki Robin from The Money or Your Life book lives in communal housing and enjoys it. At least some posters here have said college was the best years of their lives. Is living like a college student really so bad? Our kids and their friends seemed pretty happy living like college students, in fact happier than many of our working friends with high stress jobs, big mortgages on houses in the suburbs, long commutes and families to support. One of our kids makes a decent income these days and is actually moving to a larger space with an additional roommate. The roommates are all good friends and enjoy living together.

Quote:

We had the advantage of a certain naïveté back then. Not sure it would be so much fun second time 'round.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote