Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if he will be singing the same tune in 15 years.

My favorite part is the still picture where he is at a restaurant with friends. While his friends appear to have adult beverages, he has a glass a water. I wonder if it's because he can't afford the $7 microbrew?
Saw that too.

Had a cousin who walked away from her trust fund to marry her ne'r do well 'artiste' BF. "We'll be happy with less".

As uncle said: "it might be romantic to live on Ramen in a cold water apartment when your 28 knowing that you have a few million coming your way someday...when you're 50 and still living on Ramen, it won't be so romantic"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Saw that too.

Had a cousin who walked away from her trust fund to marry her ne'r do well 'artiste' BF. "We'll be happy with less".

As uncle said: "it might be romantic to live on Ramen in a cold water apartment when your 28 knowing that you have a few million coming your way someday...when you're 50 and still living on Ramen, it won't be so romantic"
I wish him well. I think he's nuts though.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I wish him well. I think he's nuts though.
It was a 'her' but it was the early 70's...and....well....errrr.....

Eighteen months later after a lot crying, pleading, begging and a few lawyers on her part, she got back into the fold. Without the BF.

Now living in Palm Beach. No Ramen in sight.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

He must have some mental health issues or something. That's all I can glean from that video. He threw away a perfectly good job and a great pension to live in a squalid garret and bike to work in the snow at a grocery store? I don't' get it.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Why such the stigma about living in a basement? I'm looking forward to one day getting my parents house and being able to live in the basement again. You can save on heat in the winter and save a lot on AC in the summer. The light doesn't wake you up at 5am in the summer. You can't hear the screaming kids, lawn mowers, snow blowers, donormotorcycles. My parents basement is by far the best place i've ever lived. My Dad may be getting 100% VA disability soon and they may move to a veterans hospital. I would then get the house cheap. Although I don't want my Dad to be disabled, i'm looking forward to moving back to the basement and getting better sleep in a more comfortable environment. Sure beats apartment or condo living from my experience.
First, I hope uour father's health improves and he doesn't have to move to the VA hospital.

No stigma in living in a basement. My friends' son was doing so for a couple of years rent-free and working part-time but according to my friends he was clubbing at night and embellishing his circumstances to the young ladies he would meet. He ended up getting a degree and a good job and an apartment and then a wife (with a good job of her own) so I don't think the basement life was really his cup of tea, although they do live on one salary according to his parents.

I watched the video posted above but I'm not going to his blog. Enough already.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Saw that too.

Ah hah! Time to post again one of my favorite French songs. I know that you know French.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah hah! Time to post again one of my favorite French songs. I know that you know French.
LOL and Thanks!

Yeah, that was about it.

As noted, it was fun for about 18 months and then she came back begging for mercy.

Now lives in Palm Beach, no BF and no Ramen in sight!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I wonder if it's because he can't afford the $7 microbrew?
Maybe he doesn't give a sh1t about the microbrew

I still think he's nuts. Two words: "The Future"

I am way closer to his level of living than to most of the others on this board so I don't think one really needs high end stuff or very much stuff to be happy. Yes. Downsize and de-complicate. What's so bad about it?

But I must say, I have never understood people who "live in the moment" and who are always seeking some kind of mythical "happiness." Enough is enough. Yes. Good words to live by. But there will be no happiness without the greenback-a-dollah. Get some.

How old did that guy look? Young but his beard was already turning white. Maybe he has a sufficient stash? Sold a big house then sold an uppity condo and lots of stuff, plus any bread he might have saved/invested. Maybe he's poor mouthing himself?
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #89

As far as living in the basement. The best most opulent living accommodations I ever had was the apartment I had in Germany. It was the basement of some family's house remodeled into an apartment. I would compare it to living in a duplex or even a townhome, only vertical instead of side-by-side.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
But I must say, I have never understood people who "live in the moment" and who are always seeking some kind of mythical "happiness." Enough is enough. Yes. Good words to live by. But there will be no happiness without the greenback-a-dollah. Get some.
werd
Old 07-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

The above song written and sung by Charles Aznavour is a lovely ballad about someone who reminisces about his youth poverty (bohème). In French, this word is related to Bohemia and describes the bohemian or Gypsy life.

Here's a clumsy translation of mine.

La Bohème

Je vous parle d'un temps / I tell you of a time
Que les moins de vingt ans ne peuvent pas connaître / That those younger than 20 years would not know
Montmartre en ce temps-là accrochait ses lilas / Montmartre in that time hung its lilac
Jusque sous nos fenêtres et si l'humble garni / Right under our windows, and if our humble apartment
Qui nous servait de nid ne payait pas de mine / That served as our nest did not look like much
C'est là qu'on s'est connu / It's there that we knew each other
Moi qui criait famine et toi qui posais nue / Me who cried hunger and you who posed in the nude

La bohème, la bohème / The poverty, the poverty
Ça voulait dire on est heureux / That meant we were happy
Nous ne mangions qu'un jour sur deux / We only ate every other day

Dans les cafés voisins / In the neighborhood cafes
Nous étions quelques-uns / We were someone
Qui attendions la gloire et bien que miséreux / Who waited for fame, and despite being miserable
Avec le ventre creux / With empty stomach
Nous ne cessions d'y croire et quand quelque bistro / We never stopped believing, and when a bistro
Contre un bon repas chaud / In exchange for a good hot meal
Nous prenait une toile, nous récitions des vers / Accepted a painting, we read poetry
Groupés autour du poêle en oubliant l'hiver / Gathering around a stove, forgetting about the winter.

Ça voulait dire tu es jolie / That meant you were pretty
Et nous avions tous du génie / And we were so brilliant

Souvent il m'arrivait / Often, it happened that
Devant mon chevalet / Before my easel
De passer des nuits blanches / I spent the night
Retouchant le dessin / Touching up a drawing
De la ligne d'un sein / Of a breast line
Du galbe d'une hanche et ce n'est qu'au matin / A figure of a hip, and only in the morning
Qu'on s'asseyait enfin / That we sat down at last
Devant un café-crème / Before a creamed coffee
Epuisés mais ravis / Exhausted but exhilarated
Fallait-il que l'on s'aime et qu'on aime la vie / That we loved each other and life

Ça voulait dire on a vingt ans / That meant we were 20
Et nous vivions de l'air du temps / We lived in the mood of the era

Quand au hasard des jours / When some day, in a whim
Je m'en vais faire un tour / I went out for a walk
A mon ancienne adresse / To my old address
Je ne reconnais plus / I no longer recognised
Ni les murs, ni les rues / Neither the walls, nor the streets
Qui ont vu ma jeunesse / That witnessed my youth
En haut d'un escalier / At the top of a stairway
Je cherche l'atelier / I look for the workshop
Dont plus rien ne subsiste / That nothing remains
Dans son nouveau décor / In its new decor
Montmartre semble triste et les lilas sont morts / Montmartre looks sad and the lilacs all die

On était jeunes, on était fous / We were young, we were foolish
Ça ne veut plus rien dire du tout / It does not mean anything anymore

Here's another rendition of this wonderful song by Isabelle Boulay in a duo with the original Charles Aznavour. Note that this is not Edith Piaf singing as labeled by the video poster.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Maybe he doesn't give a sh1t about the microbrew

I still think he's nuts. Two words: "The Future"

I am way closer to his level of living than to most of the others on this board so I don't think one really needs high end stuff or very much stuff to be happy. Yes. Downsize and de-complicate. What's so bad about it?

How old did that guy look? Young but his beard was already turning white. Maybe he has a sufficient stash? Sold a big house then sold an uppity condo and lots of stuff, plus any bread he might have saved/invested. Maybe he's poor mouthing himself?
I think he seemed quite happy and actually see nothing wrong with what he is doing and agree with him that a job working where you help people buy the food they need to eat is better than being a cog in a government wheel getting a good salary for mindless work. The mindlessness in work that has come about as a result of the computer is real and many people are not cut out for that, problem is most physical labor type jobs are being eliminated. Without knowing how much money in the bank criticizing his choice is a criticism ignorant of facts. This is not the same as someone who only works 3 days a week in a grocery store and lives off of that income. Assuming $12,000 salary from grocery store and $11,500 from a 400K portfolio makes this a totally possible lifestyle.

Missing from the conversation of lifestyle choice is the ACA which makes all of this minimalist living possible. Under $23,500 in income and a 35 year old male can get a silver plan with minimal $2,250 out of pocket max for $125.00 per month. This is what is making this lifestyle affordable and the lifestyles ACA is subsidizing. Also provides the internet with endless blogs or youtube channels to help make these lifestyles popular. ACA should be out looking for credit on all the stress the program has eliminated for younger Americans.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if he will be singing the same tune in 15 years.

My favorite part is the still picture where he is at a restaurant with friends. While his friends appear to have adult beverages, he has a glass a water. I wonder if it's because he can't afford the $7 microbrew?
I love these guys who tell us how happy they are and they look like they haven't smiled or laughed in 5 weeks. I predict they go the way of all morons in every era when poor decision making becomes hip. Thy more or less roll along for a good while, maybe until they are 40 or so. After that they had better be pretty talented in one way of another, or they may never see another naked woman, unless they come up with the scratch to get into a strip bar.

With a decent job any schmuck can make a go of it socially. Give that up, and he has to be something beyond average. It seems that some people think life is about having few wants, or buying food in bulk or living in a basement. Historically a few monks lived that way, but the great majority of people wanted what would today equate to food and shelter security enough to get married and successfully have a family, and be respected in their community.
Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
I think he seemed quite happy and actually see nothing wrong with what he is doing and agree with him that a job working where you help people buy the food they need to eat is better than being a cog in a government wheel getting a good salary for mindless work. The mindlessness in work that has come about as a result of the computer is real and many people are not cut out for that, problem is most physical labor type jobs are being eliminated. Without knowing how much money in the bank criticizing his choice is a criticism ignorant of facts. This is not the same as someone who only works 3 days a week in a grocery store and lives off of that income. Assuming $12,000 salary from grocery store and $11,500 from a 400K portfolio makes this a totally possible lifestyle.

Missing from the conversation of lifestyle choice is the ACA which makes all of this minimalist living possible. Under $23,500 in income and a 35 year old male can get a silver plan with minimal $2,250 out of pocket max for $125.00 per month. This is what is making this lifestyle affordable and the lifestyles ACA is subsidizing. Also provides the internet with endless blogs or youtube channels to help make these lifestyles popular. ACA should be out looking for credit on all the stress the program has eliminated for younger Americans.
think he's Canadian (which explains a lot)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

I never frequent forums other than this one. Looks like there are more and more forums for young aspiring ERs. I do not know what to think if my two grown children want to drop out of work because they are burnt out.

I do not know about the guy in the OP, but watched the video about the guy who quit an $80K job to work at a grocery store 3 days a week. If my children do that, I think I would encourage them to get back in the game. But this guy sounds so unhappy with his former job and is willing to cut back his lifestyle to do something else, he's not hurting anybody and why should I look down on that?

Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

because he threw away an opportunity for an easy, successful life (and someone probably paid for his edumication)

how do you think those in third world countries would feel about this guy? 3-dimensional loser

maybe it's the way I was raised - to be better off financially than my parents who were born in the height of the REAL depression. my dad would have crapped a peach seed if I'd have pulled a stunt like that.

and yes, the guy has to have a screw loose or be on a boatload of xanax
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #97

Quote:
how do you think those in third world countries would feel about this guy?
I can't tell if you are serious in using this argument. So, I will ask, "Are you serious?"
Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I can't tell if you are serious in using this argument. So, I will ask, "Are you serious?"
yes. I've met a lot of people from other countries that think we have it made here. to them pulling a stunt like this must be mind boggling
Old 07-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #99

Quote:
yes. I've met a lot of people from other countries that think we have it made here. to them pulling a stunt like this must be mind boggling
I would think just the thought of ER in general might be mind boggling to them.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I would think just the thought of ER in general might be mind boggling to them.
he's not ER. he has an employer