Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

meh, he's a quitter - he should have manned up and stuck with it (that's my Dad talking)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
meh, he's a quitter - he should have manned up and stuck with it (that's my Dad talking)
My thoughts are he opted to get into the private sector where he contributed to productivity instead of staying at a job where he was a cost to society.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Does anyone follow the "Financial Independence" Reddit subforum? I have been for awhile, but get more and more convinced the average age there has to be in the low 20's and probably 99% nowhere near FIRE.
What is Reddit? Never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Another gem from that guy: "The only other thing I left off is a minor position in a cricket flour/cricket protein bar company. I don't count it in my assets because it's so speculative, but it seems they are the market leader in what I think is going to become a huge market in the next 10 to 20 years."
I guess only time will tell, but I don't see it myself. While cricket has a huge following within Great Britain and most of the Empire's former colonies, it has almost no appeal elsewhere. And how does a sport tie into baking or snacks?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My thoughts are he opted to get into the private sector where he contributed to productivity instead of staying at a job where he was a cost to society.
that's hilarious
Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
...problem is, if he stayed with the old job, there might have eventually been the problem of self-medication (drugs/alcohol)to ease the distress he felt revolving around that government job.

I'm sure curious as to the nature of his old job. Without replaying the video I think he referred to "staring into a screen all day" or something along that line. I have to wonder was it the sort of work that others would find interesting and challenging or was it so tedious, repetitive or otherwise mind-numbing that it would drive most anyone nuts after awhile. At $80k I would think the former but who could say. And I'd be the first to admit having once or twice found myself numbed by work that others found interesting. But man am I glad I stayed the course.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
You make a good point.

So that he has more time to...socialize? (OMG, I can hear my late Dad now!!)

Pass the guacamole, bro.
I just figured something out, both you (Big_Hitter) and marko have the SAME dad and you can both hear him talking to you. (He seems have the same message for both you boys).

chorus: remarkable.
redduck: thanks
chorus: you thought we were complimenting you?
redduck: can I have some of that guacamole?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I saw the same video as you. He has a bachelor apartment. And, it looked clean. It's not a squalid garret (I know that for a fact, because I went to high school with a guy named "Squalid" Garret and he didn't look anything like that apartment).

And, if all you can glean from the video is that he mental health problems, well, that's fine and you may be correct. But, if you do believe that, it seems like maybe he should be cut some slack for taking care of himself, working a job that he can handle, having friends and working on his emotional self. He problem is, if he stayed with the old job, there might have eventually been the problem of self-medication (drugs/alcohol)to ease the distress he felt revolving around that government job.
+1 on the guy's apartment.

+1 too on the guy's quitting, instead of going "postal" as some others did.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

+2 on the apartment. There are many people who live in studio apartments. Besides college kids everywhere, many adults in cities like Paris and New York live in studios where housing costs are high. They aren't all mentally ill.

The U.S. has large home sizes compared to many other developed countries. Home sizes around the world:

Average Home Sizes Around the World | Apartment Therapy

In the U.S. in the 1950s, people had 276 sq ft of living space per person on average. Today it is 961.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
+2 on the apartment. There are many people who live in studio apartments. Besides college kids everywhere, many adults in cities like Paris and New York live in studios where housing costs are high. They aren't all mentally ill.

The U.S. has large home sizes compared to many other developed countries. Home sizes around the world:

Average Home Sizes Around the World | Apartment Therapy

In the U.S. in the 1950s, people had 276 sq ft of living space per person on average. Today it is 961.
that was then, this is now

I wouldn't mind living in that garret if I was in college or just out of school.

I've studied and worked too hard to live like a pauper.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just figured something out, both you (Big_Hitter) and marko have the SAME dad and you can both hear him talking to you. (He seems have the same message for both you boys).

chorus: remarkable.
redduck: thanks
chorus: you thought we were complimenting you?
redduck: can I have some of that guacamole?
it's a great message - kids nowadays should hear it, all day every day, then maybe we would have some real growth in this country instead of turning into a nation of slackers
Old 07-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

There are always jobs that some people have to do. We should not look down on the people doing these jobs for us. They are no slackers, and could be working harder, and for less pay, than paper pushers in bureaucratic government or megacorps.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This answers a question me and my mom have had for years!!!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This answers a question me and my mom have had for years!!!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, there have been several comments about this guy possibly having some sort of mental issues.

If that's the case, maybe his choices should not be within the context of LBYM, retirement or the perspectives of the general millennial population.

We'll likely never know if this is a financial choice or a mental health choice, but I'd hate to think many here (myself included) were bashing this guy when he was just trying to stay sane.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seriously, there have been several comments about this guy possibly having some sort of mental issues.

If that's the case, maybe his choices should not be within the context of LBYM, retirement or the perspectives of the general millennial population.

We'll likely never know if this is a financial choice or a mental health choice, but I'd hate to think many here (myself included) were bashing this guy when he was just trying to stay sane.
agreed - uncool to bash for mental issues
Old 07-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There are always jobs that some people have to do. We should not look down on the people doing these jobs for us. They are no slackers, and could be working harder, and for less pay, than paper pushers in bureaucratic government or megacorps.
I'm not looking down on anyone that does good, honest work. Not sure where that came from...

Based on what I've seen the last several years I am afraid that kids nowadays don't have the same work ethic we did 30 years ago. That's all.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
that was then, this is now

I wouldn't mind living in that garret if I was in college or just out of school.

I've studied and worked too hard to live like a pauper.
Not everyone needs big homes and cars to be happy. From a historical and worldwide perspective, average American homes are really big and use up a lot of resources to build and maintain. But according to most happiness research, home size isn't what makes people happy. It is more factors like social connections, getting out in nature, helping others, leisure time and exercise which the guy in the video is getting more of now that he has changed jobs, downsized, works less and simplified his life.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
But according to most happiness research, home size isn't what makes people happy. It is more factors like social connections, getting out in nature, helping others, leisure time and exercise
it's actually possible to have all of that, believe it or not
Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
it's a great message - kids nowadays should hear it, all day every day, then maybe we would have some real growth in this country instead of turning into a nation of slackers

Why should people value economic growth vs slacking off (i.e. taking it easy and minimizing stress)? There has been no wage growth in decades. All the growth does is go to mega corp... which unfortunately very few people own stocks. So they see no benefit.

I do wish that more people would invest money. So that they could see some of the gains from neo-liberalism, but given all the booms-busts I'm not surprised they want no part of it. From what I understand millennials are staying out of stocks almost entirely. So if they can't benefit from growth, why not slack off and get more free-time? Seems rational to me.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
So if they can't benefit from growth, why not slack off and get more free-time? Seems rational to me.
because quitting on the 'murican dream is bad?