Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
it's actually possible to have all of that, believe it or not
It might be possible, but many posters on this forum don't seem to have figured it out. I'm sure they would enjoy hearing more on how to do that. Many hate or did hate their jobs. There's threads on that topic practically daily. How many threads are there on dreading Sunday nights because it means work the next day?

I also see many threads on downsizing here in order to ER, travel, reduce expenses or to free up time from housework and home maintenance chores.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
...From what I understand millennials are staying out of stocks almost entirely...
Oh no! Who's going to buy my stocks, now that I am already in the distribution phase?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It might be possible, but many posters on this forum don't seem to have figured it out. I'm sure they would enjoy hearing more on how to do that. Many hate or did hate their jobs. There's threads on that topic practically daily.
keep your head down for 25 years (i.e. don't give up) w*rking in a large city with a very robust economy and low COL, save money, move somewhere nice with a similar j*b, on a golf course, 30 minutes from a ski hill with a 10 minute commute

the difficult part is getting a similar j*b somewhere nice. that's where we lucked out. plus we never had any kids.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
keep your head down for 25 years (i.e. don't give up) w*rking in a large city with a very robust economy and low COL, save money, move somewhere nice with a similar j*b, on a golf course, 30 minutes from a ski hill with a 10 minute commute

the difficult part is getting a similar j*b somewhere nice. that's where we lucked out. plus we never had any kids.
That may be your idea of an ideal life, but it is not everyone's idea of ideal. For some it might be the opposite of what they want in life.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That may be your idea of an ideal life, but it is not everyone's idea of ideal. For some it might be the opposite of what they want in life.
it isn't for everyone, that's for sure - our profession has a very high weed out rate - some people want 8 kids; I get that. I was just saying it is possible to achieve all those things you posted earlier, I have.

part of it was very difficult, no doubt - working and studying for exams for the first 10 years for example, but I didn't quit
Old 07-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it isn't for everyone, that's for sure - our profession has a very high weed out rate - some people want 8 kids; I get that. I was just saying it is possible to achieve all those things you posted earlier, I have.

part of it was very difficult, no doubt - working and studying for exams for the first 10 years for example, but I didn't quit
The video guy left a job with golden handcuffs that made him miserable. I am not sure I would call that quitting - just changing his goals in life and what was important to him. He lowered his overhead for more time freedom and to work at a more socially rewarding job. I quit a utility job out of college because I didn't want to work at a boring place, never learning any marketable skills for 30 years and end up like my older, bitter and golden handcuffed co-workers I saw around me. It wasn't about the money. The money was great. It was about not feeling trapped for 30 years.

Our society would not function without people holding down jobs from all skill levels and pay scales from farm workers, gardeners and housekeepers, retail clerks, engineers, directors to CEOs and hedge fund managers. I don't think there is a cutoff where everyone below the top level positions is a quitter or loser.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our society would not function without people holding down jobs from all skill levels and pay scales from farm workers, gardeners and housekeepers, retail clerks, engineers, directors to CEOs and hedge fund managers. I don't think there is a cutoff where everyone below the top level positions is a quitter or loser.
I think we may be able to function without hedge fund managers....

Do I sound elitist or something? it's possible
Old 07-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Hedge fund managers make beaucoup money. Do they contribute commensurately to society? Some say that their contribution is negative.

But are they the only ones with negative contributions? How 'bout politicians?

Uh oh, some will say "my politician is good, but yours is bad".

I think that in any profession there are positives and negatives. Perhaps what hedge fund managers do, the good and not crooked ones that is, is to make the market more efficient. They turn every rock, and look for market mispricing. They buy low to help the market not crashing as badly otherwise in a recession, and sell high to dampen out bubbles.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #169
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I just figured something out, both you (Big_Hitter) and marko have the SAME dad and you can both hear him talking to you. (He seems have the same message for both you boys).
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This answers a question me and my mom have had for years!!!
Quote:
I tell ya, there is no greater feeling than re-uniting families.
chorus: give it a rest, redduck...
redduck: okay...
Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #170
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hedge fund managers make beaucoup money. Do they contribute commensurately to society? Some say that their contribution is negative.

But are they the only ones with negative contributions? How 'bout politicians?

Uh oh, some will say "my politician is good, but yours is bad".
They are all both good and bad, depending on the issue. :-D
With both sides being so entrenched in their own ideology, and so unwilling to work with the other I do believe that we are at a time when term limits for Congress is a good idea. Get some fresh blood on there, and have it so that you won't have individuals with decades of time there and little fifedoms. Too few pull too many "strings" on both sides of the aisle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

When I first saw your response, I thought "term limit for hedge fund managers"? What the heck? But then, I saw that you are talking about politicians.

Yes, but Congress will have to pass the law, and why should they do that? You can call them anything, but they are no dummies.

PS. Even though your reply started by mentioning ideology, I was still thinking of hedge fund managers. You see, there's ideology in investing too, religion even.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh no! Who's going to buy my stocks, now that I am already in the distribution phase?
High speed computers.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Their bid prices are too low. Darn low ballers. My WR will go through the roof.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Robert Shiller wrote a good article a few years back questioning whether too many of our country's best and brightest students were going into speculative finance, activities that may be economically and socially useless, if not harmful, to the rest of the society.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #175
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ah hah! Time to post again one of my favorite French songs. I know that you know French.

https://youtu.be/ainyK6fXku0

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I get a newsletter from the Berkeley Greater Good Science Center and this is one of their articles:

Happiness is Being Socially Connected

"The upshot of 50 years of happiness research is that the quantity and quality of a person's social connections—friendships, relationships with family members, closeness to neighbors, etc.—is so closely related to well-being and personal happiness the two can practically be equated. People with many friendships are less likely to experience sadness, loneliness, low self-esteem, and problems with eating and sleeping."
That's the crux of the issue I see with both the OP guy's and Grocery Store Guy's decisions to keep living like a college student the rest of their lives (they really have no option by RE'ing that young with that little): after their peers move upward beyond bachelor apartments, I think they're going to end up really isolated. Grocery store guy can probably get away hanging out with the unmarried 20-somethings for a few more years, but once he's in his 40's, he becomes the weird old guy. Meanwhile his middle-aged peers have all moved on with their lives, moved into the suburbs and are raising their families in the usual middle/upper-middle class lifestyle. They will have nothing in common with a middle-aged man still living like a college student in a cheap apartment.

I really think you need to have enough before you RE to at least live the lifestyle of your peers after they get older, so you can still socialize with them and feel connected.
Kabekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Meanwhile his middle-aged peers have all moved on with their lives, moved into the suburbs and are raising their families in the usual middle/upper-middle class lifestyle. They will have nothing in common with a middle-aged man still living like a college student in a cheap apartment.

I really think you need to have enough before you RE to at least live the lifestyle of your peers after they get older, so you can still socialize with them and feel connected.
Hmmm... get new friends? Most of my friends today live "the college student lifestyle" but they have kids and live in single family 3 bedroom houses. They also don't work a lot (flex schedule, work from home, stay at home spouse, sabbaticals, artist/self employed, etc) which makes it convenient to hang out in the middle of the week.

I find the upper middle class crowd that moved out to the "good" neighborhoods to be pretty boring (no offense to those that live there ). Instead of golf, we play tennis at the neighborhood park. We trade video/PC games with each other, provide tips on being cheap, trade childcare, and generally have a great time for very little (though one set of friends decided to go to Japan for the summer ).

As hard as it is to believe, some people live it up pretty well on $30-50k per year.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's the crux of the issue I see with both the OP guy's and Grocery Store Guy's decisions to keep living like a college student the rest of their lives (they really have no option by RE'ing that young with that little): after their peers move upward beyond bachelor apartments, I think they're going to end up really isolated. Grocery store guy can probably get away hanging out with the unmarried 20-somethings for a few more years, but once he's in his 40's, he becomes the weird old guy. Meanwhile his middle-aged peers have all moved on with their lives, moved into the suburbs and are raising their families in the usual middle/upper-middle class lifestyle. They will have nothing in common with a middle-aged man still living like a college student in a cheap apartment.

He may already have friends who live like this. Or maybe he'll make new friends. Most people's friends change over the course of their lives anyway. So maybe grocery store guy develops more friendships with the people at the grocery store, or people he meets from hiking groups and volunteer work or whatever activities he spends his new found time freedom on. We making new friends who are older and retired because most of the people we know our age are still working full time.

There's a whole movement of people these days interested in less consumerism, working less, leaving a smaller environmental foot print and having more time for leisure and community involvement, so I doubt he would have a hard time finding friends with similar interests if he doesn't have some already.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:22 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Grocery store guy can probably get away hanging out with the unmarried 20-somethings for a few more years, but once he's in his 40's, he becomes the weird old guy.
+1
As my aforementioned uncle said of his daughter who ran away with her "artiste" BF: "it may be romantic to be living on Ramen and love when your 20. When you're 40 and still living on Ramen in a studio apartment, it's just sad."
Old 07-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I find the upper middle class crowd that moved out to the "good" neighborhoods to be pretty boring (no offense to those that live there ). Instead of golf, we play tennis at the neighborhood park. We trade video/PC games with each other, provide tips on being cheap, trade childcare, and generally have a great time for very little (though one set of friends decided to go to Japan for the summer ).

As hard as it is to believe, some people live it up pretty well on $30-50k per year.
my friends are extremely interesting as they all have graduate degrees in various fields: pilots, attorneys, doctors and small business owners. Oh, lots of FAs.

We play golf for free and enjoy hanging out at the club, the ski hill and at each others houses. Maybe that sounds boring but I dig it.

Grocery store guy can have his water, meditation and extreme frugality. I'm not into subsisting.