Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've done it before. If it's not anonymous, my response would probably depend on how close I was to retirement.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Peer feedback is for peers, not for boss/employee.

I would just not do it, i wouldn't decline, I would just... not get around to it. If really pressed, fake it and get it over with, but stall and it will probably go away.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a note...

The anonymous ones are almost NEVER anonymous.
I had thought one was, and then I was informed that the manager only sees the results if "more than 5" people in their group respond.

Well, one out of five is not anonymous. My thought was that it being anonymous meant the results would be viewed at the high level of the company, not at each manager's level.

With one out of five, my manager easily could have figured out who was who by how things were typed.

Never assume they are anonymous, and only respond honestly if you want to lose your job.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #24

We did "360" reviews where I worked last, and they were not anonymous. The manager asked for volunteers from their work teams, or assigned staff to complete them if there are no volunteers.

Both managers and staff saw the fact they were not anonymous as positive. It seemed to prevent paranoia, held people responsible for telling the truth, and protected them when they did. HR maintained copies as a part of the manager's file, and staff that participated felt confident that if issues came up related to providing honest feedback, they would be dealt with.

It was just part of the organizational culture.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #25

I would get 360 feedback requests at least 2 or 3 times per month. I didnít have time to complete them all. So I would pick and choose where I knew the person well and thought my feedback might make a difference. It was always anonymous and usually my peers, but certainly not unusual to get requests from one level up or down. I donít ever recall getting a request from a direct-report or my boss. I donít think thatís how it was designed to work.

At my Megacorp, the 360 feedback process was only used for development purposes, never directly for performance evaluation. In HR, we had 360 feedback ďcoachesĒ who would work with individuals to select respondents, understand the feedback, develop improvement plans, and follow-up for several months or even years. The feedback never went to the individualís supervisor. I sometimes asked certain direct-reports to go through the 360 feedback process. I never saw the feedback, but they always shared with me the improvement plans that resulted and this typically became part of their official development plan for the year.

What the OP described is not consistent with my understanding of the 360 feedback process. But I suppose different organizations have different ways of doing things. Still, I would definitely decline in this case.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
It is OK: if she asks if she can give your name to HR/her boss as one of her reviewers. Then someone besides her comes to you and asks for performance feedback. She does not see the result.
She asked me to send back my responses to her directly, with my name on it, and then she would take them to her boss.

And none of my other co-workers, many who have been here for many years, have never seen or heard of this before.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioIndy View Post
She asked me to send back my responses to her directly, with my name on it, and then she would take them to her boss.

And none of my other co-workers, many who have been here for many years, have never seen or heard of this before.
If you are emailing it back, I'd copy the boss's boss with your boss.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd564 View Post
Never assume they are anonymous, and only respond honestly if you want to lose your job.

+1

If it was me, I'd lie and try to make my crummy supervisor look good to her boss, just to protect my job. I'd probably include one tiny fault that nobody could really object to, just to make the review seem more believable, but otherwise I'd make the review entirely positive.

Who knows? If she looks good enough, maybe she would be promoted out of your chain of command and go somewhere else.

I AM SO GLAD that I am retired now and don't have to struggle over this type of stupid phony review baloney.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #29

Go to HR and discuss it with them. 360 evaluations are typically confidential.

Enjoying life!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #30

If I did it I would keep it short and positive otherwise would not do it at all.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #31

Back in the 1990s, my company tried the 360-review out for a few years. Participation in it was voluntary and anonymous, and did not become part of our own performance review. I was already at a supervisory level and had been at the company for 10-15 years, so I felt comfortable with the idea. But I could understand anyone who felt uncomfortable about filling out one or more of these forms and chose not to do them.

I received a few of these forms from my staff and was pleased with them. There was some constructive feedback in them, too, and I was not offended nor did I ever consider trying to figure out who wrote them. After a few years, due to a lack of participants, this was abandoned.

But given the OP's understandable discomfort with his boss and the lack of anonymity with the process, I would definitely NOT want to complete one under those circumstances. I'm not sure I can suggest any alternatives other than what has been suggested already.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
We do the 360 reviews at my company all the time at the higher levels. Nothing to see here....move along. Except for the not being anonymous. Ours have always been that way. I don't see how they work if they are not.
Do not believe management does not know what ever person says, there is no such thing as a anonymous corporate survey, I strongly advise not saying anything you are not willing to say to the supervisor directly.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Fill it out and be brutally honest. Only good can come from it. Either your manager changes, or you get out of a bad working environment.
Not filling it out, or giving a false, "rosey" response only makes your situation worse. You'll still be working the same job, with a manager that will still sh!^ on you.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #34

our 360 was always anonymous. i was always brutally honest
Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #35

Procrastinate until it goes away or they forget about it. No good could come of this for you.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the 360 degree feedback. Odd though that the OP mentioned as the only one asked for the feedback.

When the boss exclaims "I want the truth!", tell her 'You can't handle the truth!" .
Old 09-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #37

We had an annual opinion survey that asked something like 100 questions about everything, including all levels of leadership/management. It WAS anonymous. The advice I got on my first survey.... they NEVER pay you enough, lol!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
No, it's not OK.

I am very surprised by how many responses are effectively, "yeah we did the same thing, but anonymously". Without anonymity, IT'S NOT THE SAME THING AT ALL!!!
agree. It's like " the same thing only completely different"...
Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #39

The first anonymous survey I ever filled out had supervisors punishing those who filled them out honestly (could tell who said what from the comments). Since then, I've never honestly filled out a survey or left useful comments, except for the question about this survey being used against you.

For the OP, nothing good can come from you filling out the survey. If you're honest, you'll be put on the short list for employment. If you lie, it may come back to bite you further up the food chain (i.e., next boss gets wind of it, realizing it wasn't honest and hold you untrustworthy), Your best bet is to ignore it and hope it goes away. You can ask HR about how the 360 process works, but don't expect them to do anything (may get stopped if it's not something they initiated).
Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
For the OP, nothing good can come from you filling out the survey. If you're honest, you'll be put on the short list for employment. If you lie, it may come back to bite you further up the food chain (i.e., next boss gets wind of it, realizing it wasn't honest and hold you untrustworthy), Your best bet is to ignore it and hope it goes away. You can ask HR about how the 360 process works, but don't expect them to do anything (may get stopped if it's not something they initiated).
What he said.

I think the best bet is to ignore it and hope it goes away too.

Oh, and make sure your resume is up to date.

Tags
crazy boss, performance review