Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I might be tempted to try the least-bad option: damnation through faint praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioIndy View Post
What has this person contributed to the department and to the company?
Answer: Just provide the department's mission statement.

Quote:
Has this person met or exceeded performance expectations for their role?
Answer: I'm not familiar with the performance expectations for this position.

Quote:
Would you like to work with this person again? Why or why not?
Answer: I enjoy working with a variety of people.

Quote:
What are this person's strengths and where can this person improve?
Answer: Dig deep to find something positive to say, and also say something very mildly negative (not controversial).

Good luck!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, a very clumsy implementation of 360 feedback, which isn't anything revolutionary anymore. I'd politely decline. If she insists, I'd be sure to send in something carefully written to be brief, vague and innocuous. There's way more downside, than up, for you.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been involved with 360 review process before, but this doesn't really sound like an official program - especially since nobody else has heard of it. Is this really a program from the company or something the manager is doing on their own to bolster their review?

I don't see anything good for you in filling out the form honestly. If you can't avoid it, I'd try to find something that was legitimately positive about the person and focus on that. If they ask if you'd like to work for the person, maybe you could say something like they have strong technical/organizational skills or that they're effective in completing projects and you've appreciated the opportunity to learn those skills.

I wouldn't say they're a wonderful managers and everyone loves them, but I'd try to find what skills they do have and emphasize those.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #44
gone traveling

Such reviews (360 and Peer) are always done anonymously and especially if its a 360 type, it would be requested by her boss directly to you without her knowledge or review, and are never done if only going to one employee. I would also try to decline her request, simply saying you don't feel comfortable with the process. Is any of this in writing? If so, you at least have some evidence to show HR or her superior if there are reprisals.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was you-know-whatting everybody reviewed everybody and it was all a joke. Each year everybody had to scratch up at least three people - peer, subordinate, superior - who would bother to vomit up a few glowing paragraphs. Just so there was plenty of feedback. Then they'd throw out the feedback and rank everyone from 1 to N and spit out the ratings based on an obligatory curve (~8% mandatory Unsatisfactories).
bob boag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

360 degree feedback is a well established and validated HR technique, provided that it is done properly. Anonymity is key. I wonder whether your boss has instigated this herself in order to manipulate her own performance reviews. I suggest you call HR to inquire about the legitimacy of the process. It may well be that this will expose your boss' malfeasance.

In any case, I would refuse to participate unless anonymity was guaranteed.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

In my opinion, it is obviously an inappropriate request. You either have to be a "team player" or face consequences. I don't see that any of the suggestions getting around that. You have to decide which is more important, a boss that thinks you have her back or your soul.
INTJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

OP - do you live in the United States or elsewhere? IIRC, these types of anonymous ambushes, including anonymous ethics accusations, aren't legal in some part of Europe. Here in the good 'ol USA, megacorp is free to subject us to this crap as often as they want.

I guess I'm old school, but I've always preached (and practiced) that if you have something against somebody in the workplace (performance, behavior, etc.) you don't do anything until you've discussed it with them face to face. If you don't feel strongly enough to do that, then just keep your mouth shut and do your job. I wasn't always the most popular, but I survived.....
FIREchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=dallas27;1780835]Go immediately to hr and tell them this situation is unpleasant, and you would like their guidance on the appropriate action.

This, and as soon as possible.
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #50

I would not go tell HR. Just tell your boss you are not going to do it. Done.

There is only downside for him if he retaliates so you are good.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I don't think this is good advice. Remember that HR is there to represent the company, not you. The manager is part of the company. You are only an employee. Even when you, the employee, are right and the manager is wrong, HR will protect the manager. They might deal with the manager at a later date, but that is no help to the employee.

Thats correct, and they will want to prevent an unlawful termination situation that is easily avoided. However, it's just as likely HR is staffed by morons, so you take you chances when you leave the house each morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
+1 Heavy on the *VERY*
I suggest that you lie through your teeth. You never lose from giving false praise to a boss, a spouse, or an SO.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #53
gone traveling

This kind of S**t is why we FIRE.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #54

What appears on its surface to be a potentially useful tool for performance improvement (360 degree feedback) quite often ends up becoming a circular firing squad.

Personally, I hate this sort of crap where at the mega-corp where I w*rk. Quite often, those who inhabit the ivory towers are self-congratulatory, tone deaf and have created an echo chamber for their mutual admiration society.

Oh, they (ostensibly) want honest feedback. Just make sure it isn't *too* honest.

In other words - seldom is heard a discouraging word.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not anonymous? You are the only one? NO WAY, or sugar coat it up to make her the "world's best boss".
I worked in mega corp. We had 360 Reviews, but they were anonymous and there were many inputting. (However, I always sugar coated, in the belief the boss would/could figure out who said negative stuff).
Old 09-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #57

This so-called 360 process is supposed to be anonymous, but I can conform from being involved in several of them, they never are. Even with good process design (which most do not have) it's still likely that managers will know who gave what feedback. In cases where there was critical feedback it was always policy (secret) for upper level managers to share with lower level managers who was making critical comments as part of their validation process.

Quote:
The anonymous ones are almost NEVER anonymous.
I've never seen a truly anonymous one.

I think the best option is to be mildly optimistic and claim ignorance for most hard evaluation questions. "She does a fine job managing our group. I'm not aware of what other expectations go with her job."
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #58

Even when we did broad anonymous surveys, which were hosted and sent to a 3rd party who only produced consolidated results, they provided the comments back verbatim. I remember reading a presentation summary with my boss and several colleagues in the room. I could recognize one of my comments (written months before) just by the style, the syntax, the words used, etc.

Everyone would read the comments and try to dissect them: "who would have said THAT?" or "oh you know who that must have been"...

I figure anyone who had read enough of my work emails and presentations could see "me" in those words as well. Every year after, I made sure to dumb it down, include a bit of grammatical error, forgo punctuation and anything that remotely sounded like it came out of my mouth.

Last year, I also found out that our MC leaders were given reports on who had contributed to the company charity drive - a few days before the campaign ended, Boss's Boss sent out terse emails to the few that had not yet submitted, (who told the rest of us of course).

Nothing you do at your MC is ever anonymous. Ever.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #59

I was asked to perform one on my boss back in the 90's. Actually, I wasn't asked, I was told. Since my annual review was already late. I figured I would wait for my review before I did his. A month or so later, he came to me and said they needed my evaluation of him. I told him I would do his when he did mine.

I didn't want to give him a ding for being a bad manager. But wasn't going to lie about him being the best manager ever. A sort of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". I don't recall ever doing his evaluation. We were both deemed surplus in the merger that year. I ended up being extended before my time was up. But that is another story.

Anonymous or not. I never believe anonymous is really Anonymous, if you know what I mean.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

This isn't a 360 or a peer review (which we did lots of where I worked and yes, they are "suppose to be" anonymous). This is a manger looking for someone to sing THEIR praises to THEIR boss for THEIR review. For whatever reason, they've decided you're the guy to do that. It's grossly inappropriate for them to have you send them the review first.

Assuming your manager requested you to do this verbally, next time they remind you, ask them to send you an email on it. Tell them it's a reminder for you. My guess is you won't get that email, but if you do, wait a few days, then politely reply and say you've thought about it more and would prefer not to. Tell them you're not trained, experienced, or comfortable doing reviews. This way you have a written trail of what happened to take to HR later (if there is fallout of any kind).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
KM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crazy boss, performance review