Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
+7 or 8 or whatever on the Fidelity Amex card and using it at Costco (thanks go to Nords I believe for that tip). Straight up 2%, no annual fee, bonus automatically plunks into the Fidelty savings account. Once set up it is truly a no-brainer, which works for me.

W2R! A credit card? You? Did I miss the "it's the end of days" memo?
I guess so! My original post about it is here .

I just felt like doing something wild and reckless that day, I guess, so I got a credit card....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just felt like doing something wild and reckless that day, I guess, so I got a credit card....
Heh. I 'm pretty sure I can't blame booze here....

But in reality, IF you know you can trust yourself to not spend more just because you have the plastic and a cash back offer, it IS a good deal. But you have to know yourself well enough to answer that honestly.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Heh. I 'm pretty sure I can't blame booze here....
Yeah, I still don't drink. I think it was just the desire to break out of a rut and do something radical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But in reality, IF you know you can trust yourself to not spend more just because you have the plastic and a cash back offer, it IS a good deal. But you have to know yourself well enough to answer that honestly.
Not a problem, at least not so far. I have more to spend this year, due to the divorced spousal SS that I started getting in June. So because of that, my portfolio WR has effectively dropped.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I have this card. Got it this month. Looks like you can redeem the 2% reward on your account page.
Samething is offline   Reply With Quote
Is this "really" a 2% credit card ?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this "really" a 2% credit card ?

I have a Fido retirement rewards AMEX card also. I get 2% back on everything I purchase. Every few months they deposit automatically into my cash account. I get several hundred bucks a year.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
New card that claims 2% cash back (1% when you buy, 1% when you pay).

Of course, I never carry a balance and pay month charged.

There's "always a catch" with these cards - I can't find one here - anyone have any experience ?

First I thought it only paid the 2nd 1% if you paid over time - but looks like you can pay balance off every month and get second 1%.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...?ID=DoubleCash
A brief look at the web site did not reveal what type of card it is (MC, VISA, something else etc)

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
A brief look at the web site did not reveal what type of card it is (MC, VISA, something else etc)

-gauss
Just applied. I'm "near certain" it is Visa or MC, and not Amex.

Other card was considering was Fido card, as many others supported. Only reason I didn't go with them was Amex occasionally isn't accepted, but that is rare.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and that reminds me. Isn't it about time you stared wheeing?

I have some DCA'ing to do...

Amethyst

Quote:

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My most recent card is the Amex Preferred Cash (there is an annual fee, but mine is waived as an active duty military guy). Even with the annual fee, the cash back is better than the Amex Cash card that has no annual fee. The Preferred has 6% back on groceries, 3% on fuel and 1% on all other purchases. From our grocery/fuel purchases for the previous 12 months, we will get back about $360 on groceries/fuel alone. I can't really say "no" to free money!

I do chase card offers and take advantage of the ones I can. The DW and I also got separate cards for Holiday Inn rewards that each get $50 statement credit after first charge as well as a free night after a year.

My 12 month overall cash-back rewards/bonus will probably be pretty close to $1,000 this year.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, and that reminds me. Isn't it about time you stared wheeing?

I have some DCA'ing to do...

Amethyst
Well, pretty soon! So far, my portfolio balance is over 99.4% of my all time high but hasn't quite exceeded it, yet. So I am holding my breath like everyone else, to see what the market does today.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

So how are people still liking this Double Cash card?

Have a major purchase and it could be nice to have. Get 1% generally on a BofA Visa with some special categories which earn more.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #32

I've had this card since November 2014 and so far it works as advertised with no hidden issues.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Its my primary card, no issues on the 2% if you pay it off monthly.
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Same here, card has been great, no issues.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

No problems. 2% off all purchases.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #36

Quote:
I guess so! My original post about it is here .

Wow. I missed this also. W2R, you are one wild and crazy woman! LOL!
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Well I was hoping Citi would switch me from a Platinum AAdvantage MC that I got a few months ago for the miles to the Double Cash but they can't switch between an AAdvantage and a regular Citi card.

So it would have to be a new credit card application and I froze my credit. So it would cost maybe $30 to unfreeze them. Hmm, I'd have to make $1500 in purchases to get back the $30 as 2% cash back ...
Old 03-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

What do people think of the airline cards?. The main thing that appeals to me is the free checked luggage. If leave Hawaii I pretty much always go for at least a week, so I end checking luggage, and generally make 2 stops in the mainland so $75 per flight.

On the other hand they charge a hefty fee for most cards after the 1st year, and given my choice between earning a mile or get 1% cash back I'll generally want the cash..
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

The people who play the game will just get the card for like the 50k miles they offer and then cancel before the annual fee becomes due. First year AF is usually waived for these offers.

Most airline cards charge $95 a year. Some "executive" ones are like $450 but rarely worth it.

So if you're used to paying $75 per flight for checking luggage, I guess it could work out.

The more expensive cards will actually rebate $200 worth of airline fees so it brings down the annual fee from $450 to like $250. They throw in a couple of lounge passes too.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

It is very tempted to do the keep for 1 year trick. I had a trip in Feb and one next week. I was going to sign up until I read the fine print and you have to actually purchase the tickets with the card to get the free luggage... So next time I'm thinking of the trip I'll have to get one.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote