Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

We receive offers to 'free meal' with an investment presentation about once a year from various scammers.

We have gone to a few of them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Negative Nellie here.

Just not a fan of paying someone money to blow smoke up my ass. FI is simple, but can be very hard for some folks (keep up with the Jones, etc). As soon as someone starts telling me "it's complicated," or, "there's a secret sauce," my bullshit meter pegs out.
+1+

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From what I can tell the price is cheap....

They had something on today talking about Tony Robbins dissing the #metoo movement.... one lady stood up to say something and Tony used her to take more control of the room.....

They said the lady paid $3,000 for the seminar!!! But, because the video of her went viral she got her money back

BUT, they said Tony's net worth is around $500 MILLION!!!! Yes, he has made a LOT of money on these seminars.... and I guess if you have that much dough you can say you are an investment guru...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No such thing.

It is a sales pitch.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Scenario 1: I pay $100 to hear professional speaker Tony Robbins speak (wealth seminar). He's become wealthy from his speaking. He has some humor, some information I find interesting, some information I don't.

Scenario 2: I pay $100 to hear professional speaker Jerry Seinfeld speak (stand up comedy). He's become wealthy from his speaking. He has lots of humor, some jokes I find funny, some jokes I don't.

What's fundamentally different about these essentially identical activities?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabberson View Post
Scenario 1: I pay $100 to hear professional speaker Tony Robbins speak (wealth seminar). He's become wealthy from his speaking. He has some humor, some information I find interesting, some information I don't.

Scenario 2: I pay $100 to hear professional speaker Jerry Seinfeld speak (stand up comedy). He's become wealthy from his speaking. He has lots of humor, some jokes I find funny, some jokes I don't.

One is a misogynistic pig and one is not. Honestly, watching the video of Robbins talking about how he has friends who hire less qualified men over more qualified but attractive women was disgusting. I知 glad he apologized but I値l take Jerry Seinfeld over that any day.
ohyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyouknow View Post
One is a misogynistic pig and one is not. Honestly, watching the video of Robbins talking about how he has friends who hire less qualified men over more qualified but attractive women was disgusting. I知 glad he apologized but I値l take Jerry Seinfeld over that any day.
+1 on behalf of my DGF.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyouknow View Post
+1, had to live with this B.S. during my whole automotive engineering career, wouldn't wish it on anyone

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabberson View Post

IMO the fundamental difference is intention. One is intending to entertain using his skills, the other is intending to "hustle " through his skills.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1 on behalf of my DGF.
For a second I was wondering what your Grandfather had against Tony Robbins, then I figured it out. We might need to formalize some abbreviations. I also confuse son in law and sister in law.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have never seen these guys live but I have listened to their podcasts/youtubes, Brian Tracy, Tony Robbins. I think they deliver a good message at a reasonable price. I think the seminars are for megacorp and government consumers. Of course, it is hard to experience the firewalk on my iphone.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, but they don't give you free food.
If I'm expected to listen to someone whose views are incongruent with mine, it ain't free. Just sayin'....

Old 04-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #53

There's a sucker born every minute.
P.T. Barnum
Old 04-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #54

Out of curiosity (and super-cheap advance purchase tickets) I attended a few of these types of seminars years ago. A lot of people who attended these seminars seemed to be in sales. They seemed to like the "rah, rah", positive thinking and personal interest stories that these speakers provided....and the dream of wealth dangled in front of them like a carrot.

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Most people who are suckers for such pitches are sales people.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Most people who are suckers for such pitches are sales people.
They should be headed off to "Zig Ziglar"-style seminars instead.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
So I'm coming home today, riding along I-95 and I see a billboard advertising a "wealth and empowerment" seminar.

The speakers...

Tony Robbins
Les Brown
Nick Foles
and Gary Vaynerkchuk.

I never even heard of Gary.

The prices range from 75.00 bucks to 1500 dollars. Here's the thing not one of these folks would I consider some type of financial guru.

I mean I'm from Philly so Nick is pretty popular fella but that's for football.
Or, as the signs in South Philly said during the parade "Big Di*k Nick." A major Philly compliment 😁
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #58

I find these so called wealth seminars very similar to the Prosperity Gospel scam.

It is not about enhancing your prosperity. It is about enhancing theirs by transferring some of your wealth to them.

The only person who cares about your money is you.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:27 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
You can tell this Wikipedia entry was written by him or someone closely associated with him. It's quite a marketing piece on how great he is.
You've got that right! Though I'm unsure why anyone would publicize their graduation from "Mount Ida College".
Old 04-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Out of curiosity (and super-cheap advance purchase tickets) I attended a few of these types of seminars years ago. A lot of people who attended these seminars seemed to be in sales. They seemed to like the "rah, rah", positive thinking and personal interest stories that these speakers provided....and the dream of wealth dangled in front of them like a carrot.

omni

I do sales. I used to eat up the rah rah stuff 20 years ago. Now it痴 like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. My approach with clients now is radical honesty, even if it hurts my sales.