Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been investing in the stock market since 1995. So quite a while, but not near as long as some others on this forum. To me this correction has been nothing special one way or the other. Some days my portfolio goes up, some days it goes down. I remember 2008 and there were days when the market would go down and end the day down 6%.

We have not seen that so far in this stock market correction. What have we seen? Maybe 3% or 3.5%. I'm not really feeling much pain. It's been no big deal for me. But I'm kind of shielded from feeling the full effects by having a heavy dose of bonds and I hold some cash.

But to answer the question straight away: In my opinion this stock market correction has not been the most volatile I have experienced. That would be the 2007-2009 downturn. I would have doubts that even that would qualify for the most volatile. But in 2007-2009 that was pretty ugly. This time it seems pretty tame by comparison so far. Just my opinion.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Please don't post far right wing blather

Have to admit your characterization intrigued me, as American Thinker is Libertarian hardly far right or far left on anything at least not in my past reading of it So I wanted to see what had changed

the article in question appeared to consist of all easily verifiable facts about the strength of the economy

all good news and nothing much "political " at all
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #63

Another article on there was about Climate Change being a Hoax? Right out of Trumpism. I didn't see ANY verifiable facts on that. Should I posting stuff from Huffpost??
Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #64

Actually I like Huffpost but YMMV

Please provide ref re the article you describe
I do not agree with you because I think Climate change is real, we would not have weather or seasons without it, but again YMMV
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
I do not agree with you because I think Climate change is real, we would not have weather or seasons without it, but again YMMV
Non sequitur.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

It is funny that no one talks about volatility when the market was swinging 500 points to the upside. WOW that is is volatile! ��
Eastbayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:07 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbayboy View Post
It is funny that no one talks about volatility when the market was swinging 500 points to the upside. WOW that is is volatile!
Here is the volatility in a snapshot. I chose a 2-year view and 200-day moving average. The market is more volatile since October, is just about all I can say.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (45.9 KB, 29 views)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm intrigued.

This is thread like two people watching the same movie and one walks out laughing and the other walks out crying.

How can the esteemed members of the forum--usually level headed and fact based--have such divergent views of the same market?

Half here are just hunkering down (and/or ready to pounce on some opportunities) where the other half is ready for Armageddon. Seems to me that when it comes of finance, 'emotion' is a killer.

No conclusion here but ... fascinating.

Yes, this thread is interesting to watch.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
MichaelB >> QUOTE >>> If you believe any of the data in that link is relevant to this thread, why not introduce it here into the discussion so other can comment.

To answer that question you may want to ask the original poster of the link. Which is added below. I commented on the interesting chart. Not sure I could add anything more then what the chart says for itself. Thank you.
You’re right, I was referring to another link and mistakenly quoted yours. I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Just saw this. Fear and doom is overblown.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...e_economy.html
This is th link I was referring to. If anyone feels there is legitimate data in the linked article that adds to the discussion, they should reproduce that data here for discussion.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

^ Thanks >> MichaelB >> and NO problem.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You’re right, I was referring to another link and mistakenly quoted yours. I apologize.

This is th link I was referring to. If anyone feels there is legitimate data in the linked article that adds to the discussion, they should reproduce that data here for discussion.
I thought it was relevant to the conversation. As far as legitimate data, I'm not an economist and feel no need to fact check what was presented. I thought "fear and gloom is overblown" summed up the gist of the article. I put up the link to let others read and make their own judgment. I may have an opinion on the article but who cares about my opinion and I am not an expert so what good is what I think. I went back and re-read it and did see the political aspect of it. I guess I am so use to seeing such divisiveness from both the left and right that I just tuned it out. I thought it was an opposing article to what we see from the talking heads on MSM.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
Yes, this thread is interesting to watch.
Agreed.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #73

Well, here is an observation that I really hope will not "trigger" anyone emotionally or politically or gastronomically (darn I just made myself hungry) or in any other "....ally" way:

looking at the daily charts for today and the past few days, it does appear the early morning drops, lunchtimes drops, and hopefully soon the early evening drops, have/will cease. Thus indicating the panicked selling has already been done by now, and those folk are out of the market. I did see a pick up in the later afternoon DOW value even yesterday as the institutions, and the calmer individuals, did some buying. For yesterday, it was still overcome by the end of day sellers. Hopefully that will not be the case today.

This really has been a fascinating discussion. Amazing how emotions drive people to act like well...........I will shut up now, return to supporting this good economy with some more shopping and

It is different this time.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #74

It is different this time.

The market is behaving as it always has. Nothing new. But, what is different this time is some people's perception of the market. I suspect just as the great depression had a lifelong lasting impact on many investors, so will the great recession of 07-08. Many probably think the next market dip will again provide a 50% decline. Possible but not likely. If you are making investment decisions, your perception may be all that matters.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #75

The market is up 400+ today so yes there is a lot of volatility but in this good!!
Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Doesn’t the VIX go down when market is up a lot?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
I suspect just as the great depression had a lifelong lasting impact on many investors, so will the great recession of 07-08.
It sure did for me!! Made me bold as h*'ll!

I learned benefit of holding tight and not panicking.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

There's a HBO Vice documentary on the Financial Crisis, 10 years afterwards.

Lot of insights into how Paulsen, Bernanke and Geitner were thinking at the time.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm not sure "legitimate" would be the correct word for that author.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Doesn’t the VIX go down when market is up a lot?
Not necessarily. It’s a function of how quickly the market rises and drops.