Is today the day for 20K ?

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not that it makes any difference but it would be nice to hit the mark.

I predict "YES".. But while it normally doesn't make any difference, I do think in this case it will get more people jumping in the market if it "holds" for a week or so.

The next question, can it be sustained for any length of time, in the short run ?

The financial talking heads are downright giddy, expounding on reasons why we're going up, up and away.

What's the old adage, buy when others are fearful, sell when they're greedy? Not sure this is greed, but not a lot of fear.

Seems like a nice time to sell a bit.
I sold $50K today to buy a new car and re-balance my asset allocation. Now watch it really climb.........:LOL:

Glad to see it hit 20K. But, my real thought is, "okay.,.. so now if it falls 20% from this level, am I still comfortable enough to retire?"

Nice. But, I'm glad that I already rebalanced in early Jan :(.

Waiting for you know who to say you know what. If she does, I'll watch it drop and cry a little bit inside. If she doesn't, I'll watch it climb. Either way I won't make a move unless my stock/bond ratio gets out of whack.

Woo-hoo!!!!! :dance: I just peeked at the Dow and it was 20,055. But it doesn't count until it CLOSES over 20K.

Do you realize that when I posted that infamous thread, the Dow was just 14,088? And look at it now, a decade later. I'm so HAPPY. :D

:dance: :clap: :dance:

Last edited:
Thank god she said "Woo-hoo!!!!!"... better than the other ominous 4-letter word she could have used!

I love looking at my portfolio when the market is up like this! :D:dance: Lots more fun than it was to look at that same portfolio on, say, 3/9/2009. Here, this should cheer everyone up:

Last edited:
I sold $50K today to buy a new car and re-balance my asset allocation. Now watch it really climb.........:LOL:

That is pretty much what would happen to me. However, I am not selling just so the rest of you can make more.;)

Woo-hoo!!!!! :dance: I just peeked at the Dow and it was 20,055. But it doesn't count until it CLOSES over 20K.

. :D

+1 for mutual funds but holding individual stocks or ETFs might seem more attractive if we don't close above 20k. I sold funds today to buy a bond so I'm hoping it will hold and expect it too go much higher since I sold a bit.

Do you realize that when I posted that infamous thread, the Dow was just 14,088? And look at it now, a decade later. I'm so HAPPY. :D

Being fairly new here I've found it interesting to read older threads that span some significant timeframes. I've seen reference to this W2R post but had not seen it. Ya know, it almost gave me chills reading all these posts prior to the following meltdown! Kind of like watching a horror movie where you know the character is heading into some bad trouble and you want to stop them but can't! Stop, stop don't go in there, you're gonna die! I'm going to have to see the thread, if it exists, that spans mid 2008 to mid 2009. That's gotta be a doozy!

On a side note, I was just starting a new job in late Sept 2008 and was overseas when I saw the initial huge drop being televised via the BBC. Pretty much watched, stunned, seeing a whole lot of money evaporate the two weeks I was gone. Not sure I would have done much if in the US as I'm a long term investor, but it felt worse being overseas at the time. That was a tough next 6 months!

Oh, s**t. I was hoping she was having a long lunch with Frank and would miss this. We are surely doomed now!

I like it!

Gives me an excuse to buy some more really expensive stuff - :)

I ignore it too. I don't even look my stuff up online, just read and file the monthly statements.

However I do like to "celebrate" as often as possible and any excuse is a good one - :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom