Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is VGTSX appropriate for a ROTH IRA
Old 12-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is VGTSX appropriate for a ROTH IRA

DH & I are over income limits to contribute to a Roth. However, based on what I have learned here and on BH, DH funded $6500 in a traditional IRA (MMA)and then converted it to a ROTH IRA (VGTSX) in 2013. DH did not have an existing IRA. The value is currently $6,079.
We did not fund the Roth in 2014, but are in the process of repeating the process for funding a 2015 Roth. My question is, is VGTSX a suitable choice for a ROTH. Our intent was to fund the IRA with an investment which had potential for growth and could grow tax free. I know there are no guarantees with investments, but is there a better investment choice within Vanguard for a Roth?
This is a very small portion of our overall investments. Stock 70, Bond 30
DH 401k $1.247 mil, Roth 6k
Me 401k $396k & IRA $232
CD 25k
Cash 75k
HSA 4k
Total 1.985 mil

As you can see, majority is in tax deferred, and I am trying to build svgs outside of tax deferred. So just want to get opinions if there are better options - or just continue with VGTSX. Thanks for your help.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess VGTSX would be ok for a Roth... the only thing is that if you hold international equity funds in a taxable tax-deferred account then any foreign taxes paid goes to waste... if you hold international equity funds in a taxable account then you can get a credit for foreign taxes paid.

You might want to take a look at your tax placement in general. See http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Princ...fund_placement

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
gone traveling

I agree with pb4uski.

Don't feel bad that fund is down over past 2 years. VGTSX or VXUS in ETF format is a good Core International Index Fund.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess VGTSX would be ok for a Roth... the only thing is that if you hold international equity funds in a taxable account then any foreign taxes paid goes to waste... if you hold international equity funds in a taxable account then you can get a credit for foreign taxes paid.

You might want to take a look at your tax placement in general. See http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Princ...fund_placement
Did you mean to say "tax deferred" rather than "taxable" when referring to foreign taxes being paid going to waste in a Roth?
Old 12-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Did you mean to say "tax deferred" rather than "taxable" when referring to foreign taxes being paid going to waste in a Roth?
I think he did mean taxable (at least for the 2nd use). The first one is likely tax advantaged.

As far as I'm aware, if you hold VGTSX in a tax advantaged account (be it tax deferred or Roth), you won't be able to claim the foreign tax credit.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes, I meant tax-deferred and edited the post to correct it. Thanks for noting that.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The foreign tax credit is not such a big deal. VGTSX is perfectly suited for any account type: Taxable, traditional IRA, Roth IRA, 401(k), 403(b), etc.

Note that in a taxable account sure you would get the foreign tax credit (if you pay income taxes), but you will also pay taxes on the non-qualified portion of the dividend at your marginal income tax rate. In a Roth, you would not pay that higher tax rate. As it works out, you will pay less taxes if VGTSX is held in your Roth IRA even accounting for the FTC if you are in the 25% marginal income tax bracket.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Here is how VFWAX (Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund) played out in my taxable account last year:

I received $100 of dividends. $28 was non-qualified dividends and I owed $4 in tax (15% marginal tax rate). I received a $5 tax credit. Net, I received $101.

Better than if I had held it in my Roth, but admittedly by only 1%.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Great - Thank you for all your comments. I had not thought about the FTC, so that is a good point.
Alan - I will look at the link for tax placement in general. Good info from all.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote