Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
This sort of stressor can be addressed while working. Yes, even while raising a family. My shiftworking co-workers and I share tips on planning and organizing what we will bring to eat at our stations, since there IS no meal break. Sandwiches,yogurt, fruit and raw vegetables are easy to pack once you get the hang of it. Exercise has to become almost programmed, and some other leisure activity has to be given up in its place, but if you approach it in a positive way it can be managed. Emergencies will of course throw the best plans into a cocked hat, but that is why establishing eating, exercise, and billpaying habits is essential.

How is it legal for the employer not to provide a meal break? I work in a southern, employment-at-will state, for a private company, and even here we have mandated meal breaks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a special regulation governing rotating shift work. We have a mandated 30-minute meal break for the regular work day, which is thus 8.5 hours long (the 30 minutes isn't paid). To work a straight 8 or 12 hour shift, the mandatory meal break is dispensed with. And the particular job I have does not permit me to leave my desk for longer than it takes to use the ladies' room.

Nevertheless, I manage to get exercise and eat healthy, as do many of my compatriots. It is a matter of choices and organization.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
How is it legal for the employer not to provide a meal break? I work in a southern, employment-at-will state, for a private company, and even here we have mandated meal breaks.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkelblau View Post
My guess is that health problems that are associated with work vary with dependency on the paycheck. I imagine those who work while FI probably suffer the least adverse health effects, while those who need sufficient raises and bonuses to cover their ever increasing obligations are probably most susceptible to job stress. I'd even guess that the typical FI worker has better health metrics than the typical early retiree, especially during stock market panics and political/economic turmoil because the FI worker has more diversified income, and because not all early retirees are there by choice. Maybe someone can add a sixth question "how much do you need the paycheck" to see if the rest of the survey answers change.
I hope you are right! I had reached FI just before the market slide this summer. I was hoping to stick it out at my current company fo the next 12 months to get one more bonus, but the politics and questionable financial outlook of my company made me decide to leave. I was still feeling stress as I couldn't totally ignore the BS... So I took another job, and will stay at least 12 months there, perhaps another year if I really like the company. As others have said, I love my job; it's the surrounding BS that kills my enthusiasm...
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #44

Quote:
It's a special regulation governing rotating shift work. We have a mandated 30-minute meal break for the regular work day, which is thus 8.5 hours long (the 30 minutes isn't paid). To work a straight 8 or 12 hour shift, the mandatory meal break is dispensed with. And the particular job I have does not permit me to leave my desk for longer than it takes to use the ladies' room.

Nevertheless, I manage to get exercise and eat healthy, as do many of my compatriots. It is a matter of choices and organization.

Amethyst
Wow - twelve hours without at least a short mandated break sounds inhumane to me. I am impressed with your ingenuity and focus on healthy habits even under those conditions.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Amethyst
My goodness, that does sound stressful, Amethyst! Are you an air traffic controller by any chance?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

My goodness, that does sound stressful, Amethyst! Are you an air traffic controller by any chance?
Or an e-r.org moderator?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #47

Quote:

Amethyst
Yes my field of work is that way, too. Many technical and scientific jobs are like that.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Ha ha! Some of the urgency of the former, but without the godlike powers of the latter .

I keep a set of 5-lb dumbbells at my station and have gotten pretty good at fitting bits of exercise into 10-minute intervals. Also, I wear a pedometer to count steps. A bathroom break can easily take 300-400 steps, and those steps add up. Sometimes I just get up and pace.

I wonder how sailors on a submarine deal with stress. How do they exercise in such a cramped space?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Or an e-r.org moderator?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walking was a big deal for me (still is), if you have the luxury to get away. Having those weights is a great idea.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote