Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Island of misfits?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My children attended both Catholic and public schools. *Each have their strengths. *One attended public primary and high schools, then a Jesuit University. *The other attended Catholic primary and high schools at various times when he needed a mello enviornment, graduated from a public college. *

Values are an important part of a child's education. *How they learn that will depend on the parents.

I think it is important that children interact in a positive way with children of different economic and social backgrounds.* Through that experiance they learn that different is OK.*
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching a 25" TV while having a several million dollar net worth suggests that the dollars were arrived at by not buying more TV. There is no reason for a person to change their lifestyle to fit a stereotypical view of what a millionaire should have. My uncle drove the same very well cared for car for years, while everyone else in the company got new ones. He liked the car he had.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I can't even imagine anyone but a gummint flunkie saying the above.
Since the gloves are off, let me clear up any remaining doubt;* I think you're a complete idiot, and have for some time.* I'm totally not surprised you're calling in as an ally in arms; JG.* Figures.

(REWahoo: Just taking an eye for an eye approach with the personal attacks; not sure what the exact rules are).
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #44

Quote:
My uncle drove the same very well cared for car for years, while everyone else in the company got new ones. He liked the car he had.
This makes some sense to me, but its not a perfect analogy. Its both easy and common to get attached to one's car, so in that instance, i can understand why someone doesnt get a new one. I'm personally attached to my 11 year old 240sx. Its my baby! (figuratively speaking).

But a TV? Ok, well i guess one's entitled to get attached to an old TV, but that would just seem a bit weird to me.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Az, I love you too.

Seriously, I am not really interested in a pissing match (despite much provocation). *You look at the world very differently than I do, and my experience is that I usually learn from those with a dfferent viewpoint. *As such, I'd rather try to bridge the gap than widen it. *Sorry if I set you off. *No offense meant.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
You don't have the freedom to do a lot of things with your money, nor should you. * Try building in a wetland without a permit anywhere near where i work, and i will demonstrate this truth to you firsthand.

Sometimes it makes sense for you to be "encouraged" to do the right thing. *If you think the people always do the right thing when left to their own volition, then you're extremely naive. * People like me save you from yourself.

Pure 100% capitalism would be self-destructive in time.
The goverment allows me to send my children to private school, although it "encourages" me to send them to public school at no charge (except for my property taxes, which aren't voluntary). *If you think that sending kids to private school should be illegal, by all means call your representatives and tell them how you feel. *I have to warn you that doing so is likely to fall on deaf ears.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #47

Quote:
I can't even imagine anyone but a gummint flunkie saying the above.
I assumed that your intent was to offend me with this statement. I think it was a safe assumption.

But I agree, its not the direction I would have chosen it to go, and I dont think I crossed the line first. I agree it was a regretful path, nonetheless.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #48

Quote:
The goverment allows me to send my children to private school, although it "encourages" me to send them to public school at no charge (except for my property taxes, which aren't voluntary).* If you think that sending kids to private school should be illegal, by all means call your representatives and tell them how you feel.* I have to warn you that doing so is likely to fall on deaf ears.
Where i live, i'm told whites used to think they'd never have to go to the same school as blacks too.* So i see you're assuming past and present = the future?*

Give us time; changes for the good happens yearly.* I prefer to focus on the positive, and trust that America will continue to improve beyond where it is today.

If you're asking me to predict what would happen, i dont think any of them would be abolished.* I could see how the schools may be forced to accept those that couldnt afford it under some terms that don't exist today;* just guessing though.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I assumed that your intent was to offend me with this statement.* I think it was a safe assumption.*

But I agree, its not the direction I would have chosen it to go, and I dont think I crossed the line first.* I agree it was a regretful path, nonetheless.
I made that statement because I found it outrageous and offfensive. *You wonder why many people don't like the gummint? *Things like flunkies telling adults (AKA voters) that they know better. *Actually, my post was an edit of what I really think.

You want reconcilliation? *Try not pointing the finger in response to a peace offering. *But I suppose it is about what I should have expected...

- George Orwell

Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #50

brewer, before we go any further, I have to admit ignorance here.* Since i didn't even know what a "gummint" is, i just ignored it and assumed you were calling me a flunkie (i guess cause of my dropping out of the AFA).* *

In my defense, neither my dictionary here on my desk or dictionary.com knows what it is either.* *Perhaps you can educate me on a new word for the day?

And if you want reconciliation, try not insulting me then posting after that acting surprised why i was offended when you called me a flunkie.

But back on the schools, it would be a conservative estimate to say that 3/4ths of the people use private schools to get away from non-whites here in Arkansas.* No one would every actually say that publically, but this truth is obvious.* They would say, publically, because the schools are just poor (and leave off the elaboration.... because they have too many blacks and/or other nonwhites in them).
Old 12-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #51

Quote:
But a TV? Ok, well i guess one's entitled to get attached to an old TV, but that would just seem a bit weird to me.
As someone who doesn't have cable, or even a TV, I must be really pitied. I'd cry if I actually cared.

People don't put the same values on the same things that you do. I spent a lot of money on a super-efficient fridge. My parents wonder why I don't have a stainless steel side-door fridge with water through the door but I don't particularly value that.

Of course, you know your dad.

(Oh yeah - I think attachment to an 11 year old car is kinda weird too. Spend a little already! )
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #52

Quote:
As someone who doesn't have cable, or even a TV, I must be really pitied. I'd cry if I actually cared.
Heh, well I dont have cable or satellite either, to be honest. I use an antenna and pick up local HD OTA transmissions (if you dont know, digitally received images are perfect, all/or none, not snowie like regular OTA). For movies, i rent from netflix. The only TV shows i really like are on the main networks.

But no TV? Not at all? Do you get a newspaper? It doesnt matter though. Maybe you just dont like TV. My dad likes TV; he watches it 2.5 hrs+ a night as i said, he just refuses to spend money to enjoy it to its fullest.

Quote:
People don't put the same values on the same things that you do. I spent a lot of money on a super-efficient fridge. My parents wonder why I don't have a stainless steel side-door fridge with water through the door but I don't particularly value that.
Like i said initially, he likes TV, evidenced by how much he watches it. So that's not it. He would like an HDTV too, but that old problem of actually having to spend $$ to get one is once again, a stumbling block for him.

He sure knows how to make the $$$ though!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #53

Quote:
25" regular (non-HDTV) TV everynight
Boo hoo hoo!

Can I just count myself in among those who, with $2million in the bank, would not
Quote:
watch a beautiful HDTV at night, complete with Dolby digital 5.1 sound on a 2 thousand dollar speaker/sub system.
?

My mom is probably a lot like your dad; she refuses to spend much on herself because a) she thinks she should leave as much as possible to her kids and b) she's just a reeaal Yankee and that's how she's made. She doesn't want/need all that "crap" (tho' she would never use the word "crap"--too vulgar!)

Just thank your lucky stars, azanon, because if he were not that way, he probably wouldn't have instilled in you, even on a subconscious level, the qualities that you have that allowed you, too, to RE (if I can go by your description here that indicates as much...). I know for a fact my mom did that for me by her example.

Quote:
he just refuses to spend money to enjoy it to its fullest.
Maybe he enjoys it more knowing he spent diddly-squat on it!!!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Like i said initially, he likes TV, evidenced by how much he watches it. So that's not it. He would like an HDTV too, but that old problem of actually having to spend $$ to get one is once again, a stumbling block for him.
Maybe he has what's been described in other threads here. He's so used to saving that now he can't change his habits, even though he was saving for the express purpose of spending it later. Have you tried taking him to lunch and then surreptitiously taking him to Best Buy afterwards? Plied him with brochures?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Oh, for an "ignore poster" button...

- George Orwell

Old 12-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #56

Fair enough comments, ladelfina. *That doesn't mean i have to understand it! *And you're right, a lot of the reason why i do save what i do (15% of gross) is because of the way he is/was.

I guess everyone just has to find what level of spending makes them happy. *I'm taking a more balanced approach; *somewhere right in the middle of the average spendthrift American and the extreme, unibomber type (lifestyle i mean), saver as is typical here.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Oh, for an "ignore poster" button...
Does anyone else know what a gummint is, since this dumas refuses to tell me what he means by it? I'm curious. Is it actually a word, or just another thing brewer pulled out of his ass.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Does anyone else know what a gummint is,
"government"
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's all relative...

I'm certainly no brazillionaire, but I do have a 50" DLP HDTV, and a modest surround sound system, because that's something I enjoy.

I don't have a McMansion, and I haven't yet installed marble/granite/hardwood etc. in my humble by today's standards home. Would I if I had more dough? Maybe...

The difference, I suppose, is that I can stop ANYTIME!! :P

Even as a tech, on hourly, there's still sometimes not-so-subtle pressure to keep up an appearance. Many of my "peers" have bigger homes, fancier cars, blah-blah-blah; don't mean chit to me, because I'm one of them there misfits, and proud of it.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #60

Quote:
"government"
OOHH!! *Yeah, that's it! * *So brewer's trying to speak ebonics, lol. *At least I now know what i'm supposed to be. * I'm not sure how i'm a flunkie still, though, lol.