Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Island of misfits?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I admit I havent read this whole thread(yet!!).. Heres my take on the private school system:

I attended a private school during my high school years. My parents would not be considered rich but mearly middle class; meaning the tuition was a large expense for them. In there eyes the tuition was worth every penny as it got there child out of a school that had a large problem with gangs, violence, and crime in general. Was the quality of teachers better at the private school? I would have to say without a doubt they where even though they got payed alot less than the they would in the public school system. These teachers are the ones whom truly loved teaching and wanted to actually teach students who cared about learning. (mostly because parents would force them to lol!!)

Does this have absolutely anything to do with ones race or racism? NO!! It has everything to do with the quality of education. What is interesting however was the percentage of various races in each school. In the private school it was upwards of 80% white while public was more like 40%.

Personally I believe the whole system isnt flawed at all. Its the parents of the children that have a problem. You get those that actually care and want a good education for there child and know it isnt going to happen because of the other attendants of public schools. Answer? Send your kid to a private school where dead beats are kicked out.

Now I have a question:

Did we have this problem 70 or so years ago?
trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs

Now I have a question:

And I have a question...............who cares?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
And I have a question...............who cares?

JG
Well lets see.......

If someone asks a question do they generally care or do they ask for no reason at all? Do people discuss topics because they really dont giving a flying sh!t?

Why waste posts for topics that dont matter? Pad the post count egh?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now I have a question: *Did we have this problem 70 or so years ago?
There've probably been complaints about the educational system for the last seven millenia... as a reviewer of over 6000 student critiques I can vouch that no one is ever satisfied.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #85

Quote:
Who exactly is "we";* blacks or whites, cause for me to answer your question, i'll need to know which?* 70 years ago, even the public systems didn't offer equal educational opportunities.*

Are you advocating, on a public forum (public in the sense that anyone can view this), that we go back to doing it the way it was done pre civil rights movement?* If so, let me get away from anywhere near you.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't get that impression...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #87

Quote:
Well lets see.......

If someone asks a question do they generally care or do they ask for no reason at all? Do people discuss topics because they really dont giving a flying sh!t?

Why waste posts for topics that dont matter? Pad the post count egh?
Did you have a point? Just curious.

JG
Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Who exactly is "we";* blacks or whites, cause for me to answer your question, i'll need to know which?* 70 years ago, even the public systems didn't offer equal educational opportunities.*

Are you advocating, on a public forum (public in the sense that anyone can view this), that we go back to doing it the way it was done pre civil rights movement?* If so, let me get away from anywhere near you.
Azanon,

I was being sarcastic.. As Nords pointed out we have always had 'problems' with the school system and probably always will * There could be the perfect system yet some group will exist to say its not fair, good, ect.. Which is why private schools exist.

MRGALT2U,

Yea I did have a point. Having read a vast majority of this forum it seems the majority of your posts contain no real information and are just intent on upping that post count! To each his own I suppose.. Now I only wish I was retired and could post all day!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #89

Quote:
I guess he'll (and you) just have to be frustrated and perplexed
Azanon, I'm not frustrated in the least. You posted your perplexity & frustration w/your dad.

Quote:
You wonder why i enjoy my money.
No. I wonder why you brag about how much you spent on your super-duper home theater, yet at the same time you express a kind of anger or resentment at people who can better afford to do so than you, yet don't...

I think you need to spend more time reading these boards to understand what being Financially Independent is all about. For me it's knowing I can spend a couple grand on my mom if she needs/wants something. God knows she's spent many thousands on me.

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:09 AM   #90

Quote:
Azanon,

I was being sarcastic.. As Nords pointed out we have always had 'problems' with the school system and probably always will * There could be the perfect system yet some group will exist to say its not fair, good, ect..* Which is why private schools exist.

MRGALT2U,

Yea I did have a point. Having read a vast majority of this forum it seems the majority of your posts contain no real information and are just intent on upping that post count! To each his own I suppose.. Now I only wish I was retired and could post all day!
Hey! I don't post all day, and I am not just "upping my post count",
impressive as it is. Nope, I am "compelled" to comment, pontificate,
opine, observe, instruct and educate. Like 'The Blues Brothers", I am
"on a mission from God". His (and my) work will never be done

JG
Old 12-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #91

Quote:
Hey!* I don't post all day, and I am not just "upping my post count",
impressive as it is.* ** Nope, I am "compelled" to comment, pontificate,
opine, observe, instruct and educate.* Like 'The Blues Brothers", I am
"on a mission from God".* His (and my) work will never be done*

JG
Wow...I never thought he'd admit it.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like 'The Blues Brothers", I am "on a mission from God".

JG
...and like the Blues Brothers, leaves a path of wreckage and destruction in his wake.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 AM   #93

Wow, what a grumpy thread!

Old 12-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Wow, what a grumpy thread!
Think you're mistaken. He hasn't posted even once on this thread.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:25 AM   #95

It's certainly been entertaining if nothing else.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey! I don't post all day, and I am not just "upping my post count",
impressive as it is. Nope, I am "compelled" to comment, pontificate,
opine, observe, instruct and educate. Like 'The Blues Brothers", I am
"on a mission from God". His (and my) work will never be done
Ha ha ha ha ha <SNORK> ha ha ha ha ha.

Well, I guess you do pontificate.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
AZ, I don't know you or your father but based only on the information provided here it would seem that you two are on opposite ends of the spending spectrum.* He may see a new TV as an unnessary expense.* If the set works for him then he sees no need to replace it.* HDTV is not a priority with many.* My wife does not care either way if a show is HD or not.* It is not important to her.* I would rather see one on HD than on analog TV by far; that is my thing and not hers.* His motivation is not the same as yours or mine.*

I tend to be an early adopter...I know what that costs me but I choose to spend my allocated "play" money on electronic stuff.* I also save an adequate amount of $$ for retirement and for cash payments of my toys.* *That is my balance.* I save what I need to and spend what I want; the key is balance.
Agree totally. Some cars, electronics, and guns give value for the dollar. If we were living in the 18th century we would have all the delights of that century. We aren't, and we don't. So why deprive ourselves of those that are unique to our time?

Ha
Old 12-14-2005, 09:33 AM   #98

If we were living in the 18th century we would have all the delights of that century. We aren't, and we don't. So why deprive ourselves of those that are unique to our time?

I can agree to an extent, but what's considered "deprived" is going to vary from person to person. For instance, I don't feel "deprived" because I drive a 6 year old Intrepid that's still running fine, instead of a brand-new car. And I don't feel "deprived" because I only have a cheap 32" tube tv instead of some johnny-come-lately plasma that probably costs more than some cars I've owned! Although to be fair, the 32" tube tv has also cost more than some of the cars I've had!

Different strokes for different fokes, I guess. Now I'm certainly not going to thumb my nose at someone with different priorities from me, and really WANTS the expensive TV, new car, etc. But at the same time, I don't feel the least bit inferior to them, or "deprived" in any way.

Actually, one disclaimer here. I really haven't had any experience with these fancy HDTVs and such, so who knows? Once I really experience one and start to get used to the improvement, then the old stuff might look like crap to me. I noticed something similar happened when I went from VHS tapes to DVDs. At first I didn't really notice a difference in quality. UNTIL I started looking at the VHS tapes again, and then thinking damn...this sucks! The only real problem with DVDs that I've noticed is that in shows and movies with a lot of special effects, often the crisper DVD will show flaws in them more readily than the VHS. For example, watch "War of the Worlds" (the 1953 one) on DVD, and you can see the little strings holding up the spaceships more clearly than you could on the VHS. Matte lines, the color mis-match between a matte painting and the real live action part, etc often show up more. Of course, on DVD they also have the opportunity to go back and fix all that, so it's give and take.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to be a late adopter - most of my guns shoot blackpower and my previous truck had a 3 speed on the column ( i still miss it). I may have into the modern era since tubes for the Atwater-Kent radio are hard to come by. (ok, i'm lying about the radio).
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote