Join Early Retirement Today

It helps to know your age and location
Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It helps to know your age and location

Hello,

When reading threads, I often wonder where the poster lives and how old he or she is, since these two pieces of information determine a lot of things related to Early Retirement.

I have added enough personal information in my profile to give out that information without feeling that my privacy is being compromised.

I encourage others to do the same. I think it will help the community.

Does anyone else feel the way I do about this?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes!! I would encourage everybody to add whatever they would not mind sharing with the world, to their profiles. I look at profiles a lot, and I'm sure others do too.

To add information to your profile, all you do is click on "User CP" on the blue bar above, and then there will be a choice on the left called "Edit Profile" so click on that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
To add information to your profile, all you do is click on "User CP" on the blue bar above, and then there will be a choice on the left called "Edit Profile" so click on that.
I realize I'm a bit slow, but been posting on this board off and on for 5,6 years and still haven't updated my profile. It probably says to do so on the FAQ somewhere, but I think I have a hangup from when I retired from the Air Force and promised myself to never again blindly follow orders.

Anyway, I just did an update, although I still have problems with my avatar. I have it up there, can see it on my CP, but it doesn't show up when I post. Let's see if it shows up when I post this reply...

Nope. But my new signature did show up. At some point I should change my user name, soontoretire, to finallyretired or something more appropriate.

Never mind, figured it out. I was editing my profile picture instead of my avatar. I'm a bit of a retard on this kind of stuff.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well at least we give you the date, so you got 1 out of 3.

Ha
Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well at least we give you the date, so you got 1 out of 3.

Ha
Except now it says I'm fully employed, which caused me to choke on my glass of 5PM wine as I look out over the ocean and listen to the Washington rush hour on my Sirius radio. How do I change that status, I mean the fully employed part?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Except now it says I'm fully employed, which caused me to choke on my glass of 5PM wine as I look out over the ocean and listen to the Washington rush hour on my Sirius radio. How do I change that status, I mean the fully employed part?
Just keep posting and eventually it will change. It says "full time employment: posting here" right now, but what it says depends on your number of posts. You can't change it manually. When you get to 1000 posts, it will change, I think.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How do I change that status, I mean the fully employed part?
That's not a user option. It's a reflection of your number of posts on the forum.

Keep workin'...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had EXACTLY the same reaction. Even after all the reassurances, it still took me a while to calm down....

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Just keep posting and eventually it will change. It says "full time employment: posting here" right now, but what it says depends on your number of posts. You can't change it manually. When you get to 1000 posts, it will change, I think.
1000 posts before I can cyber-retire? We gotta protest! Power to the Posters!!!! Down with the Man/Woman/It!
Edit: walkinwood has 117 posts but is already cyber retired. I smell something fishy here... FIREgate
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I like to see roughly where people live and their age range. Hardly confidential information but I think people are just a little lazy in filling out their profile.

Takes about 30 seconds, so if you haven't done it, no time like the present.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
gone traveling

Location is pretty general but there is no option for 50ish!!! I think more people would post if it didn't have to be so specific.
How about older than Michael Jackson but younger than Mick Jagger?
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Location is pretty general but there is no option for 50ish!!! I think more people would post if it didn't have to be so specific.
How about older than Michael Jackson but younger than Mick Jagger?
You could leave the age blank, and put "50'ish" or the Mick Jagger thing in the "Biography" section. It just can't be too long or it won't fit.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #13

... the chronological age isn't the important one now .. is it?
I'm still waiting to grow up ..
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anyone else feel the way I do about this?
Yes, I made a post just like yours a few years ago. But one tends to get a little paranoid about exact location.

Entering a birth date which is close to yours is a good idea.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
... the chronological age isn't the important one now .. is it?
I'm still waiting to grow up ..
I'm still avoiding growing up...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, I made a post just like yours a few years ago. But one tends to get a little paranoid about exact location.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, I made a post just like yours a few years ago. But one tends to get a little paranoid about exact location. .
Nobody here wants to push anyone to to post anything that makes them feel uncomfortable. Some people might not feel comfortable with specifying "Arizona" or "Oregon", and might feel more comfortable with "western US" instead, for example, or "western hemisphere", or nothing at all. Many of us here post our locations, but others prefer to remain more mysterious and that is fine!

Another idea would be to say whether they are male or female in their profile, if it might be hard to figure out (it's not, in your case, unless you are really tricky.) Or, whether or not they are retired. Or "50'ish". People are creative and can usually come up with something interesting to put in a profile, that is also discreet, if they want to do so.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I often stop and think about my age and location, but sometimes I get confused.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
Administrator

I have no hangups about posting basic information in my profile.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
Yes, I often stop and think about my age and location, but sometimes I get confused.
Quote:
Another idea would be to say whether they are male or female in their profile, if it might be hard to figure out (it's not, in your case, unless you are really tricky.)
No gender confusion here!
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote