Join Early Retirement Today
Itemized Deductions and ACA
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Itemized Deductions and ACA

Assuming we can itemize our deductions (due mostly to our premiums for healthcare insurance), and assuming we will be eligible for an ACA healthcare subsidy, is it reasonable for me to assume that any subsidy tax credit we get in 2015 (in other words from filing our 2014 tax return), would be have to be deducted from our medical expenses in 2015 when we file in 2016??

bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
I believe it is you MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income?) that matters, so deductions like medical expense, premiums, charity, mortgage interest, personal deductions won't help you reduce your MAGI. Health care savings account contributions, 401K contributions will reduce your MAGI.

Someone more qualified then I can explain it to you.

Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
We are not concerned about MAGI, but you bring yet another interesting point, will subsidies one year count as income the next?? Essentially that is my question for some tax planning in 2016.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bizlady, I have been wondering the same thing. In my projected (2014) income tax spreadsheet, I have been unable to include how the ACA subsidy will work its way into the Form 1040 yet. For now, I have been assuming the subsidy will reduce my deductible medical expenses on Schedule A (possibly making me not even file a Schedule A). I hope the IRS will have Schedule A and Form 1040 available to view before the end of this year in case I need to make any last minute acts to minimize my 2014 tax liability.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
bizlady........I have no idea what the right answer is but your thought sounds reasonable to me based on this:" Most consumers receiving premium subsidies will receive it in the form of an advanced tax credit, with the subsidy applied directly to the cost of their insurance."

I don't know what the tax form will look like but based on the above quote
if you receive an advanced tax credit that exactly matches what your final tax credit is, then there is no adjustment in credits at the end of the year so you know exactly what your medical premium expenses were and there would no reason to have to make any adjustments. However if your advanced tax credit were lower than the final calculated tax credit, then you paid too much in premiums and would have a tax credit presumably to make up for that .
That means your premiums in the earlier year were exaggerated and presumably you would have to reduce the claimed premiums for the following year by that amount. free opinion worth that same amount.......
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
I did have sort of this problem with a state tax break for a solar water heater. It came off the state taxes OK, but that reduced my state taxes, which lowered my federal deduction for state income taxes. So I paid federal taxes on that tax break money.

I would think, with no other information than getting a tuition tax credit previously, that a federal ACA tax credit is not something that would show up as income next year and would not show up in state taxes either.

Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote