itemized sales tax deduction

vic

Recycles dryer sheets
Last year we took the new standard sales tax deduction. We are not big spenders, so we should usually be well below the standard deduction. However, this year we are adding on and renovating our new house. We are planning to buy most of the materials ourselves and pay for labor separately. The sales tax on material cost will be thousands of dollars. Has anybody experience with itemizing sales tax and what detail is needed (record total amount only and keep receipt or do more?)

Vicky

You are allowed to take a standard sales tax deduction, and add to that any big ticket items. A sales receipt showing the sales tax of the big ticket items should suffice. Keep it with your records, just like a charitable donation slip or business expense receipts. The forms, when I last looked at them, just had a 'total' box. But you will need to explain it with records if asked to do so.

thanks. That is even a better deal - take both the standard and the big stuff on top. I thought it was for cars only, but glad to hear that this can also be included

Vicky

Read the IRS stuff on this, I believe it said 'any large ticket unusual items' or somesuch. My inlaws deducted the sales tax on their motor home.

And that publication includes adding the sales tax for building materials to the base allowed amount. Looks like you're good to go. The list of stuff you can add is smaller than I recall though...mostly motor toys (cars, boats, planes) and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom