Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
There was a local winery in College Station, Texas, when I lived there. Locals loved it, but I thought it was undrinkable!!
Do you mean Messina Hof in Bryan? Or was this before then?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Do you mean Messina Hof in Bryan? Or was this before then?
That's the one! Blech. Not my favorite wines, personally, but others living there thought they were really great. I think they got a lot of local support.

When I drank wine, I didn't care for French wines, either. I liked middle-of-the-road Napa Valley wineries like Inglenook.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

W2R - Locals translates to Aggies. Case solved.

On the depression ideas, parents told stories of going to the farmers market for veggies and canning them.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
W2R - Locals translates to Aggies. Case solved.
Hey, I'm an Aggie with 3 degrees from A&M.

In College Station, the term "locals" often refers to the non-university community around the area. But I suppose I meant everyone including the university community (other than students) when I used the word. Whoever-it-was that ran Messina Hof was apparently everybody's best friend, so a lot of wine was bought just because the owners were nice people. If a party or gathering was being held, it was almost "PC" to serve only Messina Hof wines, when I lived there.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm doing this...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/bu...1&ref=business
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Even if a garden and hen house could save us 50% on groceries (unlikely), we'd save only about $2,800 per year.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Even if a garden and hen house could save us 50% on groceries (unlikely), we'd save only about $2,800 per year.
It might not save you a lot of money, but it could save you from starvation if things get bad enough...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Plenty of wineries in Florida

Welcome to Florida Wineries

Thanks for posting this even if the wine is awful it might be fun to visit a few. .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We've decided that we're going to grow our "victory" garden a little more agressively (read bigger), raise poultry out at my wife's father's farm (where the garden is), and take up quilting.

Garden ? Check.
Quilting ? I already own 2.
Chicken? Check - my investing style.

Canning vs freezing? No contest. As long as the electrons keep flowing in the wires, the freezer wins.

Seriously, though, I understand about the small town life and basics.
I live in East Nowhere NY with real dairy farms right close by. There is exactly 1 traffic light within the nearest 6 miles in my township. I'm trying to remember where the second one is.
Life here can get really boring , but it certainly does not have the problems of more developed areas.
I am not a native. But I'm still here, so something must be working.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't even save that. With the heat of a TX summer, the hit/miss rain, and the fact that the zoning laws state that I can't raise chickens in my backyard...well, I'm pretty much screwed.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Canning vs freezing? No contest. As long as the electrons keep flowing in the wires, the freezer wins.
Freezing is undoubtedly easier. I remember helping my grandmother can fruits, vegetables and jam. That's a lot of work! I could probably do it again (remember to keep everything sterile!), but I don't have all the equipment for canning (though I am sure I could find that pretty easily). My grandfather had a better way of canning fruits: drop the fruits in a jar and cover with 80-proof alcohol. Eat the fruit for dessert and drink the fruit-flavored schnapps to help the digestion.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I can't even save that. With the heat of a TX summer, the hit/miss rain, and the fact that the zoning laws state that I can't raise chickens in my backyard...well, I'm pretty much screwed.
Well, you could save on A/C bills by dressing in skimpy clothing and lolling about lazily all summer and eating food you didn't raise... might not be as consistent with "old time values" but might be a more enjoyable way to save $200/month.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Well, you could save on A/C bills by dressing in skimpy clothing and lolling about lazily all summer and eating food you didn't raise... might not be as consistent with "old time values" but might be a more enjoyable way to save $200/month.
Throw a couple of mint juleps in me and you may just have something there....oh the vapors!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

here are grapes that thrive in Florida called Muscadines but no great wines yet. We have a large garden, chickens and goats.We also put two or three deer in the freezer each year and can quite a bit. We use a wood stove for heat(here in NW Florida it can get chilly) and have a solar PV system.We chose this lifestyle before the economic downturn.Being retired we have time to maintain our homestead and enjoy it. We get plenty of physical activity and plenty of rest and sleep and eat healthy food.It's not for everyone but we enjoy this lifestyle.
wolfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Hey - load up on the Diesel (cheap!) and head to the Pacific NW if you want really good wine!

Now, how many cases can I fit in my basement?

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Now, how many cases can I fit in my basement?
Depends on how many of those lawn chairs you're willing to dump.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, keep in mind that time marches on, so if you can, enjoy, stop worrying whether your money will run out when you're 90, it's a waste of time.

Only if I weren't able to survive would I give something up, otherwise I'm keeping things normal and perhaps enjoying the possible ability to negotiate lower fees for things as the economy goes into the pits.

Jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
Hey, keep in mind that time marches on, so if you can, enjoy, stop worrying whether your money will run out when you're 90, it's a waste of time.

Only if I weren't able to survive would I give something up, otherwise I'm keeping things normal and perhaps enjoying the possible ability to negotiate lower fees for things as the economy goes into the pits.

Jug
Hum, easier said than done. Of course if I had a "pension, and about 20 plus years of cash to supplement it" like you, I'd be pretty mellow too... Oh, and I thought that the whole purpose of this board was to learn/discuss/share how not to run out of money when you're 90.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Cracks open another cold one and lights up a smoke...
Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's time I take a close look at the budget again. But every time I do, I don't really see too much to cut.

Mostly stuff that is fixed costs, and I really am not going to affect w/o making big changes (property taxes = move), stuff that I feel I need (insurance), or stuff that I just would not want to do w/o. Much of that is small 'luxuries' anyway - I may be LBYM-style, but I'm not a monk.

IOW, I guess things have not really gotten that bad....... yet.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote