Join Early Retirement Today

It's a Depression... Have Fun with It!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's a Depression... Have Fun with It!

Because of our being part of this Great Depression, my wife and I have decided we're going to need to live a bit differently now. We've decided that we're going to grow our "victory" garden a little more agressively (read bigger), raise poultry out at my wife's father's farm (where the garden is), and take up quilting. The best part is that the relatives are already doing all of this stuff and more, so we can get free advice!

I figure, if you can't have fun with it, what's the point of having a Great Depression in the first place?!

Your thoughts? Any other "fun" ideas?

BTW... We live in Chippewa Falls, WI where the life style and environs are much the same as what existed 50 years ago. A little town that the troubles of the world seemed to have missed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW already does quilts, bought her a quilt machine last August to do my part to prop up the economy...obviously that didn't work.

I gardened when I lived in the states and will again when I return. We have a couple acres, and the neighbors have some horses and cattle, so we plan to get free fertilizer (will pass along some of the extra production made possible by the free fertilizer). Unfortunately we don't live in the states right now, where the quilting machine is and where our acreage is...

Life is for enjoying, and if you keep a positive attitude (and turn off the news), its not too hard to enjoy!

R

Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My parents met during the (first) Great Depression, so we 3 kids heard Depression stories all our lives.

We have 3 acres and used to have wonderful vegetable and flower gardens and apple trees, but the deer destroy everything now. Nothing works against them, and fencing would be prohibitively expensive. The deer have no predators, and no one is allowed to hunt because there are other houses. There were 12 ravenous deer in the yard the other day, in broad daylight, right in front of the house, devouring our front plantings.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
... the deer destroy everything now. Nothing works against them, and fencing would be prohibitively expensive. The deer have no predators, and no one is allowed to hunt because there are other houses. There were 12 ravenous deer in the yard the other day, in broad daylight, right in front of the house, devouring our front plantings.

I have no experience with these devices but I am told they are effective. Have you tried anything like this?

Electronic Scare Crow, Motion Activiated Animal Repeller
Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Other "fun" ideas? Let's see...

The old clothes that I wear when working around the house and yard, the torn pants and paint splattered shirts... maybe I'll start wearing those in public - Depression Era chic! (Besides, that might help with the artist persona that I'm working on.)
Old 03-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The negative GDP growth will probably last until sometime next year, which would probably classify this as a depression because of it's length. But in the end I doubt it will be considered a 'Great' depression, more of a mild one. After that we'll probably enjoy sluggish growth and some form of chronic deflation.

After the dot.com bust I decided to be prepared for the next one, so I could enjoy it, and was fortunate enough to be ready for this. We're still living frugally, but we're enjoying it by being relaxed, drinking more exotic teas, and taking more vacations.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm doubling my meds.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I'll grow grapes in my back yard and start making my own wine . Grape stomping parties could be fun !
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Maybe I'll grow grapes in my back yard and start making my own wine . Grape stomping parties could be fun !
In Florida? Isn't it too humid for a vineyard? Or have I missed the great Florida wine industry?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #10

At least we have almost a half acre out in the back yard if we need to grow stuff. The problem is that we don't have any water out here and won't unless it ever decides to rain again.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, since I live in a motorhome, a victory garden is not an option for me. I'll just have to visit the farmer's markets instead. Oh - my freezer isn't big enough to put food by either.

Saw Diesel fuel for $1.79 yesterday. With those prices I can't feel too depressed! The most affordable thing right now is moving our motorhome - LOL!

Audrey
Old 03-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In Florida? Isn't it too humid for a vineyard? Or have I missed the great Florida wine industry?
Plenty of wineries in Florida

Welcome to Florida Wineries
Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
At least we have almost a half acre out in the back yard if we need to grow stuff. The problem is that we don't have any water out here and won't unless it ever decides to rain again.
We've got a bumper crop of dandelions in this drought...so maybe dandelion wine?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Plenty of wineries in Florida

Welcome to Florida Wineries
In my experience, plenty of BAD wineries in Florida.
Similar to Door County in Wisconsin- lots of very pretty wineries making lots of bad wine. Well, some of it rises to the level of mediocrity.
Florida has lots of nice things but local wine isn't one of them.
YMMV
Old 03-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Similar to Door County in Wisconsin- lots of very pretty wineries making lots of bad wine. Well, some of it rises to the level of mediocrity.
YMMV
Good or bad was not the issue, surviving the Depression, and can grapes grow in Florida's humid climate was the question
Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Reminds me of my most frugal plant. SO pulled it from the garbage and it's been doing its thing in my apt. for seven years, leafing out and vining. It's a cabernet sauvignon bonsai. All we'd have to do would be to let it out of the pot, plant it in the back yard, stomp on the fruit, drink the results, enjoy the depression.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Me at my grape stomping party
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grapes.jpg (29.0 KB, 286 views)
Old 03-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
YMMV
There was a local winery in College Station, Texas, when I lived there. Locals loved it, but I thought it was undrinkable!!

That was many years ago, when I used to drink wine occasionally. I don't partake in alcoholic drinks any more, for several reasons including the fact that they are expensive, add empty calories, and never did much for me anyway.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My parents met during the (first) Great Depression, so we 3 kids heard Depression stories all our lives.

We have 3 acres and used to have wonderful vegetable and flower gardens and apple trees, but the deer destroy everything now. Nothing works against them, and fencing would be prohibitively expensive. The deer have no predators, and no one is allowed to hunt because there are other houses. There were 12 ravenous deer in the yard the other day, in broad daylight, right in front of the house, devouring our front plantings.
Will they allow Bow & arrow hunting? Ahh a big pot of Bambi chili and venison steaks on the barbie.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, since I live in a motorhome, a victory garden is not an option for me. I'll just have to visit the farmer's markets instead. Oh - my freezer isn't big enough to put food by either.

Saw Diesel fuel for $1.79 yesterday. With those prices I can't feel too depressed! The most affordable thing right now is moving our motorhome - LOL!

Audrey
We all have to re-learn the lost art of canning.