Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, you're getting some of your money back?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its just a tempering action.

A couple of years ago, prices shot up over $2 and everyone freaked out and sold their SUV's and paid way over sticker for hybrids or a POS 3rd car that was good on gas. Then it dropped back under $2 and we felt like we were getting a bargain on gas.

Last year the price shot up over $3 and everyone freaked out and sold their SUV's and paid way over sticker for hybrids or started driving that POS 3rd car again. Then it dropped back under $3 and we felt like we were getting a bargain on gas.

This year...well...substitute $4 for $3 in the last paragraph.

Guess whats going to happen next summer? :

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

I've been looking for a chart showing the price of oil in Euro's or Yen. Anybody seen such a thing? My guess is that the last few year rise won't look nearly as steep.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Only up until late last year, but it confirms your guess.

Oil Prices around the World: Do Exchange Rates Matter?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #85

I ask this question out of general ignorance on all things related to oil supply and prices. Are the high prices causing consumption to drop significantly nation wide? World wide? I'm not sure if there is enough hard data on this yet. Just wondering how this might play into the dropping prices.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Last number I saw was that US consumption had dropped 2% over the same periods last year.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #87

If I have this much power over the oil market, maybe I should start rolling out my plans for world domination...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
When I saw car companies offering the 3 year $2.99 gas cards bundled with their cars I figured a whole lot of actuaries spent a whole lot of time determining that 2.99 would be the average or higher than the average price of a gallon of gas for the next 3 years.
Would the gas card or the vehicle have MORE value after 12 months??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #89

Oh man, am I dying to buy some USO right now.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #90
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If I have this much power over the oil market, maybe I should start rolling out my plans for world domination...
Please buy more USO. In fact, consider selling everything you own and pouring it all into USO. Consider the purchase to be your duty to your country.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Please buy more USO. In fact, consider selling everything you own and pouring it all into USO. Consider the purchase to be your duty to your country.
I'm even steering tropical storms and hurricanes down into Mexico, apparently. Missing the platforms in the Gulf means lower oil.

Maybe I ought to see who can pay me more: American motorists and gulf coast residents or Mexico.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Ziggy, the price at the pump is still at its highest here in the Chicago area--what can you do for us?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Maybe we can get him to invest in some refineries and some area gas stations?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Ziggy, the price at the pump is still at its highest here in the Chicago area--what can you do for us?
Sorry, but there's no "Chicagoland Gasoline" ETF for me to help you....

Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Ziggy thank you for your service to the board.

If you get out to Hawaii, when oil drops below $100 it should cheaper , I'll buy you dinner.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #96

We'll see if I can be the straw that breaks the camel's back, as if ziggy hasn't done enough for his country. Bought in for 22 shares at $102.50, we will see what happens.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Ouch as of 2:00 pm--down to $100.09. A medal for Citric, too, for taking one for the team as of now.

Still waiting to see those prices at the pump fall--hope Citiric's influential in that area
Old 07-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #98

Shell right near me, dropped from $4.11 to $4.07 to $3.96
Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #99
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Shell right near me, dropped from $4.11 to $4.07 to $3.96
How near you? You may only have a small range of influence.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I must be a lot closer - it's down to $3.69 near the house and the cheapest in town is $3.64.