Join Early Retirement Today

It's official: The Oil Boom Is Over
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #1

It's official: The Oil Boom Is Over

I just bought 100 shares of USO in my portfolio.

"Buy high" is usually not in my nature. But in this case, I figure it's a win-win: if oil keeps rising, I cushion the downside on the rest of my portfolio. If my investment succeeds in causing the bubble to pop, the rest of my portfolio's recovery will likely dwarf my losses in USO.

I figure that me finally buying in is a good way to put a stop to the upward momentum.

So if the bubble pops soon, you may raise a toast to me as a hero. I think this is the first time I've ever WANTED to lose money in an investment position.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
if oil keeps rising, I cushion the downside on the rest of my portfolio. If my investment succeeds in causing the bubble to pop, the rest of my portfolio's recovery will likely dwarf my losses in USO.
Congratulations, I think you've just given a very succinct and intuitive
argument of the benefits of portfolio diversification !

Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles View Post
Congratulations, I think you've just given a very succinct and intuitive
argument of the benefits of portfolio diversification !
Already down $1.60 $1.90 a share from where I bought it. It's working!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Already down $1.60 $1.90 a share from where I bought it. It's working!
Congrats! I thought I was the only one who could move a stock downwards after buying it.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Congrats! I thought I was the only one who could move a stock downwards after buying it.
Nope. Ol' Zig can kill the momentum on a momentum play with the best of them.

Consider it a small portion of my portfolio committing hara-kiri so the rest shall live and prosper.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Early this year I decided it would be good to include a nominal 5% of DBC in my portfolio. I bought in taking it out of my US large cap. In less than a month it was up 15%. I had a panic attack and sold. I figured it was way too high too fast and it was going to crash back down. It made a small bump down shortly after I sold. It's now about 30% higher than where I sold.

So much for my short foray into changing my asset allocation.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Early this year I decided it would be good to include a nominal 5% of DBC in my portfolio. I bought in taking it out of my US large cap. In less than a month it was up 15%. I had a panic attack and sold. I figured it was way too high too fast and it was going to crash back down. It made a small bump down shortly after I sold. It's now about 30% higher than where I sold.
Not me. I'm holding. I don't care if I lose 50% on this position -- because if I do, it's likely to be very good for the rest of my portfolio.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got around 10% of my portfolio in PRNEX. It's been outperforming for years. I know some are saying this energy thing is a bubble. But some very wise people (Warren Buffet yesterday) are saying "No," it's supply and demand. I might sell some if it gets near 15% of my portfolio. But even if the bubble "pops" before that, I expect most of the other equities I'm holding to take up the slack in response. As somebody said, this is diversification in action: It's wonderful to have a position that's way up, that if it imploded, you'd be even better off! (Metals do this for you too.)
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #9

Is it too early for an "I told you so?"

Probably. But still...

Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #10

You are still above/at your buying price about, right? Seems that you can only slightly mitigate the meteoric rise in oil, but the effort is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
You are still above/at your buying price about, right? Seems that you can only slightly mitigate the meteoric rise in oil, but the effort is greatly appreciated!
Nope. Under water by close to 5% now and getting slammed again today.

You will, of course, notice that I bought in right at the top. Which is why I don't play this game any more, except in special cases like when I'm trying to "talk" oil down by buying it.

You all owe me.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #12

I never like to look at past trends in pricing, but if you look at oil it seems that we hit a new high every three weeks, then pull down about 8% for a couple of weeks, then shoot up in a couple weeks to a new high. We are just in the midst of a pullback which may eventually go higher, hey you never know. But, checking out historical quotes, it says USO opened at 113.87 and closed at 113.75, so I assume you weren't too far off of that when you bought, 110.66 can't be too bad, can it?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #13

Quote:
I never like to look at past trends in pricing, but if you look at oil it seems that we hit a new high every three weeks, then pull down about 8% for a couple of weeks, then shoot up in a couple weeks to a new high. We are just in the midst of a pullback which may eventually go higher, hey you never know. But, checking out historical quotes, it says USO opened at 113.87 and closed at 113.75, so I assume you weren't too far off of that when you bought, 110.66 can't be too bad, can it?
I bought it near the intraday (and all-time) high of 115.10 -- which is absolutely typical of what happens when I engage in performance-chasing and stock picking. That's why I'm almost all into rigid allocation now. When I chase something, it WILL drop.

Still, if it means keep a lid on oil prices, I'm happy to do my part. It's only about 3% of my portfolio anyway...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
I bought it near the intraday (and all-time) high of 115.10 -- which is absolutely typical of what happens when I engage in performance-chasing and stock picking. That's why I'm almost all into rigid allocation now. When I chase something, it WILL drop.

Still, if it means keep a lid on oil prices, I'm happy to do my part. It's only about 3% of my portfolio anyway...
So, YOU are the person who has the adversarial relationship with America that all the Congressmen are talking about. Your speculation is out of control, and I Congress can rein it in before it simply gets even further out of control. It is true, speculation (on your part) is the only factor in oil pricing.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
So, YOU are the person who has the adversarial relationship with America that all the Congressmen are talking about. Your speculation is out of control, and I Congress can rein it in before it simply gets even further out of control. It is true, speculation (on your part) is the only factor in oil pricing.
Yes, but I speculate not for greed but for the common good -- to keep oil prices down.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear of your loss. You might want to take a look at the following link.

Public Chart Lists - StockCharts.com

I am much more of a trader than most on this board so, take the guidance only as far as you are comfortable with.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ziggy, please let us know when you bail on any total market funds you hold so we'll know when we've hit bottom. I for one salute your patriotic gesture in market timing. Would you like to run for VPOTUSA? There are two openings....
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutDone View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss. You might want to take a look at the following link.
Why be sorry? I'm not. I WANTED to take oil down, and there was no better way to do it than buying into the bubble...

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ziggy, thank you for your sacrifice for the better good
So, how much more do you think you will need to buy to bring us back under $100?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Ziggy, thank you for your sacrifice for the better good
So, how much more do you think you will need to buy to bring us back under $100?
More than I'm willing to lose. I may be altruistic, but I'm not THAT selfless.