Join Early Retirement Today
I've zeroed in on my FIRE target year
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
I've zeroed in on my FIRE target year

After lots of research, calculations, adjustments, running various scenarios through Firecalc, Fidelity's calculator, and my own spreadsheet, they all agree that 2015 will work. I had thought it would be sooner until I found this message board, and I applied many pieces of wisdom I found on here to my estimates and calculations.

My immediate thoughts:

* 3.5 years seems like a long time and I had hoped it would be sooner for several personal reasons as well as being sick of w*rking

* what if something happens to me or my nest egg before then

* wow, this might actually work, I'd better get ready for it

CantThinkofAUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Cool that will make you 47 or 48,well done.

Given the economic situation I think it is wise for you to keep the nose to the grindstone a few more years. Having a target date is excellent, just be sure and be flexibility about it.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Or maybe find a part time j*b, which would make the transition easier.
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Given the economic situation I think it is wise for you to keep the nose to the grindstone a few more years.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
There is probably never a time when everything will be absolutely certain and perfect. At some point, you just have to jump. I'm going through that too.

You may find that the last year or 1.5 years or whatever will be mentally difficult in terms of the work grind. Once you are essentially "KMA", it becomes harder and harder to put up with work. At your age, you probably aren't in love with your job or you wouldn't be FIREing. Be prepared for that and look for a way to motivate yourself for the last year.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
My decision to ER last year was made very quickly. After the decision I continued working from July to December. It was a little weird going to work knowing that I was about to leave. The last two months was excruciating. My wife is now looking at ERing in a couple of years. She more or less likes her work but is ready to retire. That makes working another couple of years tolerable. I don't know how anyone can set a target year 2-3 yrs down the road if they don't like the work they are doing.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe
I thought about part time, and I'm keeping that option in my mind if I decide I can't take any more of my current j*b. If I do part time, due to my career, it's more likely to be full time for some months followed by off for some months; less than 40 hrs/week is uncommon. I would prefer full time though, to get it done with faster.

As for liking my w*rk, I actually do enjoy the w*rk I do, just not all the non-w*rk that surrounds it. I've worked at various companies and they all have that non-w*rk stuff - office politics/etc. But I enjoy what I do on weekends way more than the w*rk I do for pay in any case.

CantThinkofAUserName is offline   Reply With Quote