Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
First thing I notice is that Lady GaGa has a Polaroid line.
Polaroid is doing quite well thank you:

Polaroid 3”x4” Instant Digital Camera, 3”x4” Instant Mobile Printer, PIC 1000

Polaroid GL30 Instant Digital Camera, GL10 Instant Mobile Printer
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ACtually I found the interview obtuse, inconsistant, and not very useful. Now is a hard time to invest? When was that not true except in hindsight? I am sure Bogle has made great contibutions but this interview wouldn't appear to be one of them, IMHO.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
is this some sort of sadly perverted humor?
It's what I do.

Quote:
I didn't 'get' the comments either, if that is any solace (and I'm not saying it should be). I didn't take it as some perverse humor
OK, here's the joke. The article says "This is the most difficult time to invest." Actually it's never difficult to invest, although it may be difficult to invest wisely or to make investment decisions.

Anyway my joke was to take it more literally than intended -- that is, "the most physically difficult time to invest."

Bogle is old, and it's snowy this time of year, so an image of Bogle going to the bank in the snow with a walker came into my sadly perverted head, and it struck me as kind of funny.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
"This is the most difficult time to invest." Actually it's never difficult to invest, although it may be difficult to invest wisely or to make investment decisions.

Anyway my joke was to take it more literally than intended -- that is, "the most physically difficult time to invest."

Bogle is old, and it's snowy this time of year, so an image of Bogle going to the bank in the snow with a walker came into my sadly perverted head, and it struck me as kind of funny.
And now it is. (Exceedingly so.) More proof in the adage about worthless posts and pictures.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sure - this is funny but me making a joke about some unknown-to-me lawyer's brain cancer is bad. Next thing you know jokes about old ladies with walkers on icy sidewalks will be tut-tutted.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Next thing you know jokes about old ladies with walkers on icy sidewalks will be tut-tutted.
You mean this isn't funny?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg walker.jpeg (4.2 KB, 163 views)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #27

Now this is funny! No walkers on the sand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old-lady.jpg (57.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I thought that I was eccentric, but you people do have a stranger sense of humor.

I read Bogle's interview, and the message I got was that he was concerned that both stock and bond yields were terrible. It sounded like he was trying to get investors to lower their expectations.

As a pessimist myself, I am looking to see if I can live on 2% SWR. I probably can if they still give me my SS.

Else, I've got my 25' motor home and a tank of gas to get me to the New Mexico mountain. I am covered.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought that I was eccentric, but you people do have a stranger sense of humor.

I read Bogle's interview, and the message I got was that he was concerned that both stock and bond yields were terrible. It sounded like he was trying to get investors to lower their expectations.

As a pessimist myself, I am looking to see if I can live on 2% SWR. I probably can if they still give me my SS.
I have been bitching about horrible investment environment since the spring of last year. Bonds have horrible yields and stock don't seem all that promising given their recovery from 2008/09 lows and the fundamentally lousy economy.

For most of the last decade I've always had an asset class that I felt was undervalued and offered good absolute and relative returns. From TIPs in 2000s, to value stocks in 2003, MLPs in 2006, PenFed 6% CDs in 2007, junk bonds in 2008,and stocks in Q4/08 through Q2/09. Now I haven't always been right; clearly financial stocks were a down right stupid thing to buy back in Jan 2008. However, there was also something that I've wished I had more easy cash to purchase. Not this year.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I have been bitching about horrible investment environment since the spring of last year. Bonds have horrible yields and stock don't seem all that promising given their recovery from 2008/09 lows and the fundamentally lousy economy.

For most of the last decade I've always had an asset class that I felt was undervalued and offered good absolute and relative returns. From TIPs in 2000s, to value stocks in 2003, MLPs in 2006, PenFed 6% CDs in 2007, junk bonds in 2008,and stocks in Q4/08 through Q2/09. Now I haven't always been right; clearly financial stocks were a down right stupid thing to buy back in Jan 2008. However, there was also something that I've wished I had more easy cash to purchase. Not this year.
+1

There is usually something out there that looks good value (although my list would a bit different from yours because of where I live). While I can see plenty of assets that I think will provide reasonable returns, the screaming bargains of late 2008 - mid 2009 aren't there at the moment. A time for patience.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Wishing for more crises there, my friends?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
sadly perverted humor?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

It did seem that the gist of the interview was, stay with Vanguard index funds.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Wishing for more crises there, my friends?
Well, a short term flash crash about now would work for me as I am still accumulating and will get my year end payout for last year at the end of January/begining of February. But only this year mind you - I may be able to FIRE as early as Feb 2012 in which case I'd prefer to see an absence of such events thereafter.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, lower expectations or stay very short. What happens after you invest is always a priori unkown. However, other than huge outliers like the 90s, the maximum potential upside is pretty well known before you invest, at least stochastically.

Right now the landscape is littered with risk, though perhaps no more than many other times. But I believe that to expect high rewards from today's levels of valuations, interest rates and dividends requires suspending one's sense of past history, assuming that one has a sense of past history to suspend.

Ha
Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It did seem that the gist of the interview was, stay with Vanguard index funds.
Agree. Too difficult for you guys so let us do it for you.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

OK, here's the joke. ... -- that is, "the most physically difficult time to invest."
Ahhh - now I get it, physically difficult to invest versus mentally difficult. It is funny, a little twisted (humor often needs to be a little twisted to be funny), not really perverse IMO, though it could go in that direction if delivered differently (or just received differently). And now I'm wondering why I didn't get it the first time round, but that's how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, lower expectaions or stay very short. What happens after you invest is always a priori unkown. However, other than huge outliers like the 90s, the maximum potential upside is pretty well known before you invest, at least stochastically.

Right now the landscape is littered with risk, though perhaps no more than many other times. But I believe that to expect high rewards from today's levels of valuations, interest rates and dividends requires suspending one's sense of past history, assuming that one has a sense of past history to suspend.

Ha
Excellent perspective - thanks.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Yeah, I tend to agree. Nothing looks attractively valued now. Much of the rebound in earnings has come from cost cutting and layoffs, not real revenue growth. That sort of earnings growth is not sustainable and doesn't really help the overall economy.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, I tend to agree. Nothing looks attractively valued now. Much of the rebound in earnings has come from cost cutting and layoffs, not real revenue growth. That sort of earnings growth is not sustainable and doesn't really help the overall economy.
Condos in Florida? I don't know but have heard that they are getting pretty cheap. It may not be the bottom of the real estate crash, but then one doesn't have to invest at the exact bottom to make money.

Of course, all I NEED is more real estate to maintain. No way, no how, not this girl.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post

Now this is funny!
No walkers on the sand.
OMG... this is frightening! I no longer feel bad about how I might look in a bikini at 62...