Jack Welch Long CNBC Interview re: Oil Spill

Oh, and best as I can tell the calls to "fix the problem first and cast blame latter" only applies to criticism cast at BP. Apparently assigning blame to the President is OK. ;)

RE: then some regulating body (not necessarily the govt)

Self regulation :confused:

Three cheers for more regulation! Boo, on doctrinaire libertarianism!

Geez, I merely left the door open to options. I don't think in black & white terms on the issue. Sometimes, regulating bodies outside the government do an exemplary job. Sometimes a combination might be best. We ought to use whatever tool works, and not shut the door on any solution.

Oh, and best as I can tell the calls to "fix the problem first and cast blame latter" only applies to criticism cast at BP. Apparently assigning blame to the President is OK. ;)

Who are you talking to:confused:

-ERD50

Who are you talking to:confused:

-ERD50

Not you. It's more the whole premise of the thread, as summed up here . . .

Reviewed his comments. Found them to be straightforward and common sense. He is direct and on the money. Fix the problem. Blame later. But all government knows how to do is blame.

So fix the problem, assign blame later, and yet the CNBC interview that started this thread is titled . . .

Obama Managing Crisis 'Horribly': Jack Welch

here's the first paragraph . . .
The Obama administration has utterly mismanaged the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and it has been "horrible" at crisis management, Jack Welch, former CEO of General Electric, told CNBC. "Here's the difference between a businessman and a politician: Businessmen focus on solutions. Politicians focus on 'who can we blame?'"
Nice to see the "businessman" assigning blame to politicians for not being more like businessmen who don't assign blame. It's not every day you see someone's opening argument so completely self-contradictory. It's quite a feat, really.

...Nice to see the "businessman" assigning blame to politicians for not being more like businessmen who don't assign blame. It's not every day you see someone's opening argument so completely self-contradictory. It's quite a feat, really.
And Jack seemed to miss the fact that the other Oilco executives played the blame game when before Congress. Oh yeah, I guess those business CEOs are really politicians too.

... It's more the whole premise of the thread, as summed up here . . .

So fix the problem, assign blame later, and yet the CNBC interview that started this thread is titled . . .

Obama Managing Crisis 'Horribly': Jack Welch

here's the first paragraph . . .
Nice to see the "businessman" assigning blame to politicians for not being more like businessmen who don't assign blame. It's not every day you see someone's opening argument so completely self-contradictory. It's quite a feat, really.

I'm certain there is blame to be placed (and probably deserved) on both sides, BP & the regulators. Now, w/o commenting specifically on what Jack Welch has said, I will say that in general I don't see a contradiction in that sort of statement.

It makes sense to me that an outside observer could look at a situation, and see that the steps being taken are not the appropriate ones. And if some of those inappropriate steps are focusing too much time/effort on 'blame', it isn't a contradiction to point that out. It's not 'blaming the blamers', it is an observation geared towards problem resolution.

I'll stay out of whether it is an accurate observation in this case, I'm just talking about the general case.

-ERD50

If the well is self-destructing due to the pressures down there, two relief wells are the only hope and even then it is working against the clock. The tilt on the 450 ton BOP indicates that the well substructure is already eroding. Will it last two more months?

I'm certain there is blame to be placed (and probably deserved) on both sides, BP & the regulators. Now, w/o commenting specifically on what Jack Welch has said, I will say that in general I don't see a contradiction in that sort of statement.

It makes sense to me that an outside observer could look at a situation, and see that the steps being taken are not the appropriate ones. And if some of those inappropriate steps are focusing too much time/effort on 'blame', it isn't a contradiction to point that out. It's not 'blaming the blamers', it is an observation geared towards problem resolution.

I'll stay out of whether it is an accurate observation in this case, I'm just talking about the general case.

-ERD50

Yes, forgive me for blaming the blamers. So clearly a circular argument on my part.:confused:

But I'm not the one who talked about finding out whose ass needed kicking. I'm not the one who held grandstanding congressional hearings so we could beat up BP and cast blame in all directions on behalf of the people.

A time for balming will most certainly arise. It seems both government and business will have much to answer for. I'm fairly certain business will most definitly answer for it although much less certain about the government accountability.

But over all that, focus all energy on fixing the blowout and cleaning the mess. Do that now! Don't waste energy elsewise until these things are accomplished. That is what I believe was the main thrust of the article and a message I certainly agree with.

That message somehow bothers our resident government defender G4G. That just tells me its a message on the right track.

I had a lot of respect for Jack Welch when he was running GE; lost all that respect and shifted to loathing over the last-minute pension shenanigans and his antics with his mistress.

That message somehow bothers our resident government defender G4G.

89 posts and somehow I'm "our" government defender? Why don't you hang around the block a little longer before you start taking pot shots at some long-time residents.

That message somehow bothers our resident government defender G4G. That just tells me its a message on the right track.

I hereby nominate MuirWannabe for FIRE poster-of-the-month for June, 2010, with all accolades and accreditations afforded therein. :D

BP is clearly to blame for the spill, don't think anyone is disputing that, including BP. Big issue is that due process should determine civil penalties, not media hysteria and political gamesmanship.

The leadership failure in response to this crisis is abominable, IMO. We're getting political rhetoric rather than positive results, with no indication that will change anytime soon. :(

89 posts and somehow I'm "our" government defender? Why don't you hang around the block a little longer before you start taking pot shots at some long-time residents.

Are you saying credibility is correlated to post counts:confused:

To me, a valid comment is a valid comment, even (especially?) from a first time poster. Of course, 'validity' must be judged by each of us. Methinks a nerve was touched G4G.

-ERD50

Are you saying credibility is correlated to post counts:confused:

To me, a valid comment is a valid comment, even (especially?) from a first time poster. Of course, 'validity' must be judged by each of us. Methinks a nerve was touched G4G.

-ERD50

Gee, as I see it, I commented on an idea and got a personal attack in return. And from someone I don't recall ever being introduced to.

Whatever. Have a nice day.

Gee, as I see it, I commented on an idea and got a personal attack in return. And from someone I don't recall ever being introduced to.

I guess I didn't see it as a personal attack, just an observation. It would be like someone referring to me as a proponent of the free market system.

-ERD50

Sincerely. Let me apologize. I was trying to make a point but certainly did not mean to make a personal attack. Enough of that going on in Washington.

I think it likely we differ greatly on our political views. But something we share far outweighs that difference IMO. Early retirement. I want it. You have already done it! In that fashion I aspire to what you have already accomplished.

Again, sorry I upset you. I'll try and be more careful with the small number of posts I make in the future.

Well.. let me appologize for the shakedown...

OHhh.. sorry, got to take it back :greetings10:

G4G... just poking a little fun at ya... I disagree with your opinion... but I try not to make it a personal attack when I respond... hope to see more from you in the future...

Back
Top Bottom