Join Early Retirement Today

Jack Welch Long CNBC Interview re: Oil Spill
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jack Welch Long CNBC Interview re: Oil Spill

If you are not offended by something that necessarily has some degree of political application (No, Really?) google Jack Welch, CNBC, Oil Spill.

I put no links, because I am not eager to have my hands slapped for pointing to something that might make sense and be relevant for a change.

Anyway, if you don't like reality, stay away from Jack Welch and all his appearances, including this one.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think Mr. Welch is way over-rated, and quite adept at molding reality to fit his own agenda. I have little respect for him.

But because I have considerable respect for Ha's recommendations, I will try to find the link and watch it.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I put no links, because I am not eager to have my hands slapped for pointing to something that might make sense and be relevant for a change.
Don't look now, but your curmudeoness is showing.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #4

Reviewed his comments. Found them to be straightforward and common sense. He is direct and on the money. Fix the problem. Blame later. But all government knows how to do is blame. They don't know how to solve problems. Lead without lawyers.

I certainly have respect for Jack Welch and his leadership abilities. Thanks Ha for highlighting this interview.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What I find extremely funny(as a ex en ga neer) in all this is everyone assumes the problem is fixable.

Screw people - tell me about the red beads and white beads!

But then I have a curmudgeon certificate. Really.

heh heh heh - So might be time to hunt for some bargin vacations along the Gulf Coast/redneck riviera. eh?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
What I find extremely funny(as a ex en ga neer) in all this is everyone assumes the problem is fixable.

Screw people - tell me about the red beads and white beads!
You are certainly correct. (As are you, Mr. Wahoo ) Still, managing well might affect the distribution of the red and white beads.

Ha
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I think Mr. Welch is way over-rated, and quite adept at molding reality to fit his own agenda. I have little respect for him.

+1 Jack Welch is a C
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
+1 Jack Welch is a C
+1
He talks a good line after the fact. He is an excellent armchair quarterback.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #9

Bah. This post was too much of a rant so I deleted it.

Let's just say that I find Mr. Welch disingenuous at best.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I give Mr. Welch all the respect he is due. As I do all talking heads... ;-)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Um, sorry, I must of missed the part where Welch explains how the government was supposed to fix the problem.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

They didn't call him "Neutron Jack" for nothing. Ran GE during the great years 1980--2000, and his business forte was to fire the 10% that were underperforming---not hard to look like a success at that time. Totally dislike the man, although sometimes he says something that makes sense. Oh, and isn't this the guy who dumped his wife for some hottie that was interviewing him or something----the things we forget.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Well, I guess Jack Welch would win no popularity contests arround here.

I really wouldn't care if he were Jack the Ripper, or slept with every woman in the world. I think his opinions about crisis management are likely a little more realistic than some of his critics, but perhaps not.

Ha
Old 06-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I read his autobiography. I think he is very smart guy, an excellent manager and his book is filled with practical advice. On the other hand he is terrific self promoter and so probably a legend in his own mind.

However, I am curious what precisely are the statements in the interview the Jack haters disagree with? Or is this just a case is my mind is made up don't confuse me with the facts?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I read his autobiography. I think he is very smart guy, an excellent manager and his book is filled with practical advice. On the other hand he is terrific self promoter and so probably a legend in his own mind.
Seems like common traits in very successful people.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was disgusted by the perks he "negotiated" in his golden retirement package. In addition to huge cash payments, he has GE paying for all kinds of crazy personal expenses - treats the company like his own piggy bank. Signs of a personality defect IMHO.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I actually saw most of the interview on CNBC, while drinking my morning coffee. Gather some experts, blah blah, sounds like good advice. Is there really no one talking to the "experts"? Fixing a problem on the assembly line is perhaps less difficult than capping 50K barrels/day of oil/mud spewing from a hole in the bottom of the GOM...

It's hard to tell at present WTF? History will judge the efficacy and culpability of BP, BO, etc.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think his notion of Obama getting the best minds in the business together to fix the problem is a little naive. Our we talking about the oil company executives who have the same disaster plan, including the same dead guy and his phone number.

Oh wait, maybe Obama can call him! Geez.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think his notion of Obama getting the best minds in the business together to fix the problem is a little naive. Our we talking about the oil company executives who have the same disaster plan, including the same dead guy and his phone number.

Oh wait, maybe Obama can call him! Geez.
Yup. As far as actually stopping the oil gushing out of the well, the only thing the government can do is pound on the guys with the technology and equipment to fix it . . . that would be BP. And that is pretty much what the government did. If anything, they've been too deferential for too long.

Where the government fell down, IMO, is in the clean-up effort. Here is an area where it looks like the U.S. government could have been far more effective, but unfortunately wasn't.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Where the government fell down, IMO, is in the clean-up effort. Here is an area where it looks like the U.S. government could have been far more effective, but unfortunately wasn't.
Yep. Refusing international help, not waiving the Jones Act, having Coast Guard folks stop barges from skimming because of inspections, all of these together have inhibited the clean-up effort.

Having said that, there will be plenty of time to assess blame and bill the negligent parties later. Right now the undivided focus needs to be on stopping the leak and cleaning up the mess.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote