Jack Welch Long CNBC Interview re: Oil Spill

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you are not offended by something that necessarily has some degree of political application (No, Really?) google Jack Welch, CNBC, Oil Spill.

I put no links, because I am not eager to have my hands slapped for pointing to something that might make sense and be relevant for a change.

Anyway, if you don't like reality, stay away from Jack Welch and all his appearances, including this one.

Ha

I think Mr. Welch is way over-rated, and quite adept at molding reality to fit his own agenda. I have little respect for him.

But because I have considerable respect for Ha's recommendations, I will try to find the link and watch it.

Reviewed his comments. Found them to be straightforward and common sense. He is direct and on the money. Fix the problem. Blame later. But all government knows how to do is blame. They don't know how to solve problems. Lead without lawyers.

I certainly have respect for Jack Welch and his leadership abilities. Thanks Ha for highlighting this interview.

What I find extremely funny(as a ex en ga neer) in all this is everyone assumes the problem is fixable.

:D

Screw people - tell me about the red beads and white beads!

But then I have a curmudgeon certificate. :LOL: Really. :whistle:

heh heh heh - :cool: So might be time to hunt for some bargin vacations along the Gulf Coast/redneck riviera. eh?

What I find extremely funny(as a ex en ga neer) in all this is everyone assumes the problem is fixable.

:D

Screw people - tell me about the red beads and white beads!

You are certainly correct. (As are you, Mr. Wahoo :)) Still, managing well might affect the distribution of the red and white beads.

Ha

Bah. This post was too much of a rant so I deleted it.

Let's just say that I find Mr. Welch disingenuous at best.

Last edited:
I give Mr. Welch all the respect he is due. As I do all talking heads... ;-)

Um, sorry, I must of missed the part where Welch explains how the government was supposed to fix the problem.

They didn't call him "Neutron Jack" for nothing. Ran GE during the great years 1980--2000, and his business forte was to fire the 10% that were underperforming---not hard to look like a success at that time. Totally dislike the man, although sometimes he says something that makes sense. Oh, and isn't this the guy who dumped his wife for some hottie that was interviewing him or something----the things we forget.

Well, I guess Jack Welch would win no popularity contests arround here.

I really wouldn't care if he were Jack the Ripper, or slept with every woman in the world. I think his opinions about crisis management are likely a little more realistic than some of his critics, but perhaps not. :)

Ha

I read his autobiography. I think he is very smart guy, an excellent manager and his book is filled with practical advice. On the other hand he is terrific self promoter and so probably a legend in his own mind. :)

However, I am curious what precisely are the statements in the interview the Jack haters disagree with? Or is this just a case is my mind is made up don't confuse me with the facts?

I read his autobiography. I think he is very smart guy, an excellent manager and his book is filled with practical advice. On the other hand he is terrific self promoter and so probably a legend in his own mind. :)
Seems like common traits in very successful people.:cool:

I was disgusted by the perks he "negotiated" in his golden retirement package. In addition to huge cash payments, he has GE paying for all kinds of crazy personal expenses - treats the company like his own piggy bank. Signs of a personality defect IMHO.

I actually saw most of the interview on CNBC, while drinking my morning coffee. Gather some experts, blah blah, sounds like good advice. Is there really no one talking to the "experts"? Fixing a problem on the assembly line is perhaps less difficult than capping 50K barrels/day of oil/mud spewing from a hole in the bottom of the GOM...

It's hard to tell at present WTF? History will judge the efficacy and culpability of BP, BO, etc.

I think his notion of Obama getting the best minds in the business together to fix the problem is a little naive. Our we talking about the oil company executives who have the same disaster plan, including the same dead guy and his phone number.

Oh wait, maybe Obama can call him! Geez.

I think his notion of Obama getting the best minds in the business together to fix the problem is a little naive. Our we talking about the oil company executives who have the same disaster plan, including the same dead guy and his phone number.

Oh wait, maybe Obama can call him! Geez.

Yup. As far as actually stopping the oil gushing out of the well, the only thing the government can do is pound on the guys with the technology and equipment to fix it . . . that would be BP. And that is pretty much what the government did. If anything, they've been too deferential for too long.

Where the government fell down, IMO, is in the clean-up effort. Here is an area where it looks like the U.S. government could have been far more effective, but unfortunately wasn't.

Where the government fell down, IMO, is in the clean-up effort. Here is an area where it looks like the U.S. government could have been far more effective, but unfortunately wasn't.
Yep. Refusing international help, not waiving the Jones Act, having Coast Guard folks stop barges from skimming because of inspections, all of these together have inhibited the clean-up effort.

Having said that, there will be plenty of time to assess blame and bill the negligent parties later. Right now the undivided focus needs to be on stopping the leak and cleaning up the mess.

I kind of liked Welch's observation that politiocos are more interested in finding scapegoats than in fixes. The way I see it is, if the problem is fixed, then politiocos can not spend their time grandstanding in useless hearings.

He can't be all that bad if he was able to get GE to pay for his laundry, and free transport on GE's air force, among other bennies.

Where the government fell down, IMO, is in the clean-up effort.

A second place where they fell down, IMO, is in not having a first-strike containment plan in place if/when all the safeguards fail. Same with coal mines - the equipment to get those miners out was days away, and they had 4 hours of oxygen. :(

We have building codes and fire inspections of big buildings, but that doesn't mean we decide we don't need a fire department. The regulators should have forced that containment equipment is no more than X hours away to minimize the inevitable blow-out.

-ERD50

A second place where they fell down, IMO, is in not having a first-strike containment plan in place if/when all the safeguards fail. Same with coal mines - the equipment to get those miners out was days away, and they had 4 hours of oxygen. :(

We have building codes and fire inspections of big buildings, but that doesn't mean we decide we don't need a fire department. The regulators should have forced that containment equipment is no more than X hours away to minimize the inevitable blow-out.

-ERD50

Of course, industry tends to resist, because it's expensive. Apparently, it's cheaper to ad hoc.

Of course, industry tends to resist, because it's expensive. Apparently, it's cheaper to ad hoc.

Agreed - and that is where regulation comes in. When an industry can 'get away' with something that isn't open and transparent to the consumer (we really can't be expected to know about the safety measures in place at for the products we buy), then some regulating body (not necessarily the govt) needs to take that on.

Ship shoddy product and people will eventually figure it out. But looking at product on the shelf doesn't tell me anything about the safeguards that company has in place to protect against x,y,z disaster. And if we have to rely on regulators to define and enforce those standards, then the regulators also need to be taken to task when things 'go sour'. Maybe the govt should pay BPs dividends to the Norwegian Widows? (Not really serious about that - just a thought exercise).

-ERD50

Agreed - and that is where regulation comes in. When an industry can 'get away' with something that isn't open and transparent to the consumer (we really can't be expected to know about the safety measures in place at for the products we buy), then some regulating body (not necessarily the govt) needs to take that on.

Self regulation :confused:

Three cheers for more regulation! Boo, on doctrinaire libertarianism!

Back
Top Bottom