January Reblancers Thread

I had a happy rebalancing experience. I did it on Monday the 4th, so I had a nice 1.6% increase in my stock funds on that day. That is, the sale occurred at the end of the trading day, so I got the benefit of that day's increase. There haven't been any big up days after that.

I was able to lock in the gains on the money that I rebalanced into stocks last year.

Any comments from the early January rebalancers after the fact?

I'm still figuring......

Audrey

This was the first time that I ever tried a withdrawal and rebalancing all at once, and I did it late at night on impulse. I wanted to move my entire year's withdrawal into savings. Then I could move 1/12th of it from savings to checking each month. And then, I would not include the withdrawal in my rebalancing since anything in the bank is just there as spending money. I thought this would be simpler to just balance the nestegg comprised of my taxable, Roth, and TSP accounts until I am a seasoned retiree.

I feel pretty stupid. I goofed a little... that is, instead of 45% equities, I am now 45.5% equities. :duh: Apparently I used a figure for the withdrawal that was off when computing how much of each fund to sell. Other than cash everything else is proportioned correctly.

So, I guess I will let it ride. If the market drops, I'll be perfectly balanced. :rolleyes: I did withdraw the right amount. And I really do have more cash, even though it is set aside for spending.

It was interesting to sell equity funds for the first time. I had no idea that I would get a message saying essentially, "OK, THAT'S IT!! You can't sell this fund again until March!!!!" But that's ok. Just surprising.

Last edited:
I feel pretty stupid. I goofed a little... that is, instead of 45% equities, I am now 45.5% equities.
Yes, I think your entire retirement plan is now doomed. Back to work for you! ;)

I calculated things to end at 54% equities, but the next day it was 54.6%. I'm guessing this was due to the 1.6% rise in the S&P that day.

I set it to end up with a year's worth of expenses in the money market, which is tied to my Vanguard Advantage checking, and the remainder went into a bond fund.

Attachments

• vg1.jpg
    vg1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
I feel pretty stupid. I goofed a little... that is, instead of 45% equities, I am now 45.5% equities. :duh: Apparently I used a figure for the withdrawal that was off when computing how much of each fund to sell. Other than cash everything else is proportioned correctly.

0.5% is not goofing, it is fine tuning. I shouldn't worry about such small miscalculations, you'll be closer next time. :flowers:

Yes, I think your entire retirement plan is now doomed. Back to work for you! ;)

EEEYAAAAAAAAAAGHH!!! :eek: :2funny: :ROFLMAO: Not me! :)

TromboneAl said:
I calculated things to end at 54% equities, but the next day it was 54.6%. I'm guessing this was due to the 1.6% rise in the S&P that day.

You know, I'll bet that is what happened!! WHEW. I didn't think about that. I did my computations and juggling around early in the morning of January 1st, but didn't feel like staying up later to doublecheck. Maybe the market shifted on January 4th, when I got around to checking. Gosh, you'd think they'd keep things nice and still while newbies like me got the hang of rebalancing! :LOL:

TromboneAl said:
I set it to end up with a year's worth of expenses in the money market, which is tied to my Vanguard Advantage checking, and the remainder went into a bond fund.

I have money in Vanguard Prime MM, and should probably look into the Vanguard Advantage checking, which I don't have. But then, it's comforting to have my year's spending money in a brick-and-mortar bank where I can pound on somebody's desk if I need to. I am sure that as time passes, I will become braver about these things.
0.5% is not goofing, it is fine tuning. I shouldn't worry about such small miscalculations, you'll be closer next time. :flowers:
Thanks. Sometimes I have to fight overly perfectionistic tendencies, and I guess I let them get the better of me! I feel better now that I have got that imperfect rebalancing performance off my chest. :)

Well, actually you can't ever get it exactly right!

You calculate the allocation based on one day's fund values - say 12/31/09.

But when you actually do the selling and buying, it's going be based on the fund values for the NEXT TRADING DAY - in this case 1/4/09.

If the day is a big market move day - and Jan 4 was (S&P500 up 1.6%) - you can easily end up off by 1%.

There is no way to nail it perfectly.

And by the way - the next trading day - it's off even more! :eek:

Audrey

P.S. I see TromboneAl already explained it!

Thanks - - I feel a lot better after listening to you, Alan, and T-Al. You're right. I guess I was just stressing out over it. One would think I was still at w*rk, getting that wound up over something this trivial. :LOL:

Yeah - I hate rebalancing on days that the market makes some huge move (>2.5% or more) because I know all my trims and adds are going to be off!!!!

But in the end it doesn't even matter a hoot, because the markets are going to just keep a-changin' every day!

Audrey

Yeah, the markets are going to keep changing every day. So, after the reblancing, if my AA are within the 5% I target, I consider that rebalanced.

Yeah, the markets are going to keep changing every day. So, after the reblancing, if my AA are within the 5% I target, I consider that rebalanced.

Absolutely agree. I didn't even bother rebalancing this time as I was only 0.5% out. I had rebalanced earlier when I was more than 5% out.

Back
Top Bottom