Jason Zweig says this time it is different

Full employment and people contributing automatically to their company retirement plans (401(k), 403(b), 457) is helpful.

All the trucks/vans of service and tradespeople going through the neighborhood have "Help Wanted" signs on them as do all the retail shops and restaurants that I have seen in my area and in my travels.

Last edited:
Full employment and people contributing automatically to their company retirement plans (401(k), 403(b), 457) is helpful.

All the trucks/vans of service and tradespeople going through the neighborhood have "Help Wanted" signs on them as do all the retail shops and restaurants that I have seen in my area and in my travels.

The problem is, the majority of those jobs may not be full time, pay minimum wage or barely above, and come with no benefits. It is tough to fund retirement with that type of job. I am not saying folks should expect to be "entitled" to their hearts desire... but I always ask myself why no one reports the details of the types of jobs available, or that are being created.

Sure, not everyone makes 6 figures, but the median (or is it the average?) household income is in the mid-5-figures. Such income allows for contributions to IRAs, so 401(k)s and 403(b)s do not necessarily have to be offered to everyone since they could not save more in retirement plans than the legal limits for IRAs. Don't forget that if one is married, they and their spouse could contribute a combine $11K to IRAs. Can a family making $60K a year contribute $11K combined to IRAs? Many people would argue: No, they can't. Thus 401(k)s and 403(b)s do not have to available for everyone.

Of course the specific details are different each time, but the outcome is what has never really changed yet. The market will always overreact up and down, and 'move toward the mean though it's impossible to know when or what will trigger the inevitable big shifts.' That's what I've always taken 'it's never really different to mean.' Even when there seem to be obvious indicators, the market can stay up, or down, beyond all reason for quite a while (years). There are gurus every cycle who get it right, and others who get it wrong, or their timing is way off - and few if any are right all the time. But you know all that...

Exactly!

My guess is that there is a lot more "dumb money" now than in the past. Most of it is searching for yield, which is why the stock market has been on a tear. Money from overseas that's looking for a safe haven, a better economy meaning more people investing, an aging workforce, meaning more people trying to juice growth to meet retirement objectives, and so on. The same thing is happening in real estate. Everyone wants to "diversify" by owning rental real estate.

The dumb money, and probably much of the smart money that's trapped now, will be hurt by rising interest rates. Someday everyone will wake up and decide the real risks are upon them and they aren't being properly compensated for those risks. Controlled decline or market panic, the markets will fall accordingly.

Since 1981 US Government long term debt has continued a steady decline of interest rates after having a previous 30+ trend of rising rates leading to the 14% in 1981. It has been a consistent decline in interest rates over the past 30+ years and since 2008, led by purchases of the US government, even in the face of the US Government more than doubling the supply of US government debt to 20 trillion the last 10 years, long term rates are still at historic lows.

By Central Bank policy, interest rates have been a constant force for improvement in stock prices, eliminating the competition from bonds. Investors have come to view this as "normal" activity and the need to even consider the reasons of WHY to own a stock is now commonly viewed as foolish by the average investor in the stock market. There are plenty of individuals who do not trust the market but for the most part they are not part of the stock party.

In 1981 the US stock market capitalization was 40 percent of GDP, since then it increased steadily to 144 percent of GDP by the end of 1999. At the nadir in 2009 it came to earth at 95 % of GDP, it is now back at peak 146% of GDP. In 2009 GDP was 14.5 trillion, now it is around 18 trillion, not very much GDP bang for 10 trillion in debt spending by the government over that time.

All of the talk of the types of stock ownership and how it is acquired has had no effect on the long term performance of the stock market. If the market were to go into a prolonged stock market decline Zweig would be arguing the constant selling by target date funds is keeping the market from rallying. The simple truth is stocks are in demand because bonds are not competitive and are not being offered for sale even as their supply is swelling.

Mathematics or block chain currencies at some point will force the hand of Central Banks, and any purchases, sales due to the composition of retirement year funds will have little impact on a long term chart of stock prices once interest rates revert to the economic value they are intended to provide. Imagine for a moment what would happen to Central Bank policy if suddenly APPLE announced they were converting their 50 Billion US dollars into BITCOINS.

The effect of this low cost debt has been to subsidize debt investments in new technologies which is drastically lowering prices and preventing inflation, which is needed to offset the increase in debt.

Could the stock market get to 300% of GDP and US Government debt get to 40 trillion over the next 10 years keeping the economy on its upward path of 2-3 percent per year, all while 10 year rates slowly grind to 5 percent or whatever a true economic interest rate for the 10 year would be, doubtful...

https://www.thebalance.com/us-gdp-by-year-3305543
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DDDM01USA156NWDB

Back
Top Bottom