Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Jason Zweig says this time it is different
Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jason Zweig says this time it is different

https://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2017...ent-this-time/

Jason says that wide acceptance of target date funds and asset allocation espoused and carried out by commonly employed FAs cancels old pattern of retail money as dumb money.

Interesting idea, and if it remains true will make markets behave quite differently at least in the near term.

What I am wondering- if retail buying is not pushing equities up, and insider buying is not pushing equities up (it is not), what is responsible? I guess corporate buying, like purchases to balance shares given as compensation, and also equity capitalization shrinkage.

What might end this? One possibility might be higher interest rates, or even relative decrease in available credit.

Comments?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Article seems to require WSJ subscription.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #3

All that stimulus money has to go somewhere, and lots wound up in stocks. As the stimulus is unwound the cost of borrowing will increase and bond rates will rise. Once the 10 year Treasury gets high enough (4% to 5%) more money will rotate to bonds at the expense of stocks.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
All that stimulus money has to go somewhere, and lots wound up in stocks. As the stimulus is unwound the cost of borrowing will increase and bond rates will rise. Once the 10 year Treasury gets high enough (4% to 5%) more money will rotate to bonds at the expense of stocks.
Maybe so, but who is creating the excess equity demand?
Old 08-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Maybe so, but who is creating the excess equity demand?
People looking for more than the pitiful return on CDs and many bonds.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
https://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2017...ent-this-time/

Jason says that wide acceptance of target date funds and asset allocation espoused and carried out by commonly employed FAs cancels old pattern of retail money as dumb money.

Interesting idea, and if it remains true will make markets behave quite differently at least in the near term.

What I am wondering- if retail buying is not pushing equities up, and insider buying is not pushing equities up (it is not), what is responsible? I guess corporate buying, like purchases to balance shares given as compensation, and also equity capitalization shrinkage.

What might end this? One possibility might be higher interest rates, or even relative decrease in available credit.

Comments?

Ha
I know you are a fan of Jeremy Grantham, who was just interviewed by Charlie Rose, and said much the same thing as Zweig. https://charlierose.com/videos/30816 He attributes this to corporate use of cash to buy back their own stock instead of investing it to grow. The GMO quarterly letter was just published and makes a similar case.

As long as corporations don't need the cash for anything else and can borrow as much as they want, this can continue. It changes direction when corporation margins decline, cash generation falls, and they have to invest, or their debt / equity ratios get too high.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #7

I googled Market is really different this time and was surprised by the number of links saying the same thing
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...rent+this+time
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:

Comments?

Ha
More people buying than selling. More people employed, means more 401K investments and less distributions to pay mortgages and less 401K loans to stay afloat.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I particularly like Jason's book "Your Money and Your Brain".
Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I googled Market is really different this time and was surprised by the number of links saying the same thing
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...rent+this+time

Yes, as long as markets have existed there have been "experts" saying "it's different this time." Hasn't turned out to be true.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Yes, as long as markets have existed there have been "experts" saying "it's different this time." Hasn't turned out to be true.
You must be kidding, Every time is different. While some instances follow a common script, many do not.

I believe that markets will move toward the mean, it is not possible to know for sure, or when.

Ha
Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
More people buying than selling. ...
Actually, the number of shares sold is always exactly equal to the number of shares bought.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think the trend in long term interest rates is a factor -

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...interest-rates

Also technology gains going to more to the stock owner class rather than the labor classes, which ties in with the increases in wealth inequality. Those two are are my best guesses.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Article seems to require WSJ subscription.
Cut and paste the article title into a Google search window. Then you will be able to follow that link to the readable article.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

This thread caused me to go back to my plot of the ICI funds data and update it. Here is the plot through June 2017:

Yes, the US fund inflows are down but the total equity 6 month moving average is high. I'm following ICI's lead in plotting the 6 month moving average. Probably a result of funds (mutual funds + ETFs) inflow into international stocks.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Cut and paste the article title into a Google search window. Then you will be able to follow that link to the readable article.
WSJ closed that backdoor earlier this year.

Sometimes the author posts the article up on their blog after a bit of time though. You can google the author to find their blog

Here is Jason's blog with the article

http://jasonzweig.com/the-market-rea...ent-this-time/
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

That backdoor still works for this article
Old 08-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
That backdoor still works for this article
Huh...I tried 2 different browsers and got locked out. Probably my cookies
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Huh...I tried 2 different browsers and got locked out. Probably my cookies
Worked in Firefox & Safari.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The Market Really Is Different This Time | Jason Zweig

That catch phrase is usually used in a pejorative sense in the financial world, to mean something akin to "and trees grow to the sky." Of course, trees fall down for various reasons.

However, in his article, Jason Zweig is using the phrase to describe investors moving towards more balanced investments. This behavior is different than what was seen before recent recessions.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote