Join Early Retirement Today

Jim Otar’s Pearls of Wisdom
Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Jim Otar’s Pearls of Wisdom

Steve Thorpe has condensed some of Jim Otar's best lines at the Portfolioist. I know Otar has been discussed here but this was worth reading to me. His book had more influence on my decision to retire than all the other reading I did combined.

Portfolio Investing Blog: Portfolioist

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A good list. I expect the Otar fans here can add a few more.

I don't know if Otar ever said it, but this connects to a lot of discussion here:

- If you're planning to use your portfolio to fund "nice to have" stuff in addition to just "have to have" stuff, then you can probably justify a higher initial withdrawal rate.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good article, thank you for posting it. I grabbed a few points that I feel are important:

· In a distribution portfolio, the withdrawal rate is the most important contributor of portfolio longevity.
· If you thought you were safe withdrawing 4% starting at the beginning of 2008, you are likely in for a rude awakening.
· The concept of “long–term” exists only in accumulation portfolios. There is no such thing as “long term” in a distribution portfolio. As soon as your periodic withdrawals start, “long–term” ceases to exist, and the “luck factor” takes control of the outcome.

The last emphasis is mine.

Ha
Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice to read the blog guy is a 'Boglehead.' Adds to his credibility in my book.

I who have been lucky enough to get canned in the wonderful 90's and rode into ER with index funds as the 'big dog'.

heh heh heh - also Mr. B's Index 500 was our company's main 401k stock fund. Lucky? Hindsight says 'Yeah you rite!'
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Good article, thank you for posting it. I grabbed a few points that I feel are important:

· In a distribution portfolio, the withdrawal rate is the most important contributor of portfolio longevity.
· If you thought you were safe withdrawing 4% starting at the beginning of 2008, you are likely in for a rude awakening.
· The concept of “long–term” exists only in accumulation portfolios. There is no such thing as “long term” in a distribution portfolio. As soon as your periodic withdrawals start, “long–term” ceases to exist, and the “luck factor” takes control of the outcome.

The last emphasis is mine.

Ha
Very good points. I would say the first one is my mantra.