Job Opportunity at Equifax

Sunset

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicag
I was totally stupefied when I went to the Equifax site when I first heard of the hack. I could not believe they wanted to transfer me to another site with a different name from Equifax (phishing maybe), check a box that waived my rights to sue, and than asked me to input my social security, birth date, and driver's license number. I did an immediate exit!

Thank goodness I froze my credit accounts five years ago, although Equifax did acknowledge my data was 'probably' included in the hack.

I just received an email from the state licensing department. It looks like they shared all of their information (which includes SS numbers) with the credit companies. Either that, or they sent out the email to all registered PEs just for the heck of it.

So my question- Why would a state government agency share the information with a credit service?

Equifax needs a new data security boss, as the current one is now gone.

Sounds like anyone can qualify especially if you have a music degree.

Yep that's right, sounds like the last one had NO computer security experience and certainly no training.

What a dumb CEO decision. :facepalm:

Equifax hired a music major as chief security officer and she has just retired - MarketWatch

Get your applications in quick as pretty much anyone can do this job. :nonono:

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable! If it weren't true, it would be laughable. the best fiction writer couldn't make this up.

Is there any way to opt out of Experian? I would be happy to if I could.

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable! If it weren't true, it would be laughable. the best fiction writer couldn't make this up.

Is there any way to opt out of Experian? I would be happy to if I could.

We never opt in, they just grab our info and sell an appraisal of our data - what a nice business model.

And it's Equifax that goofed up this time. Not Experian.

I think it should be a Federal law we can freeze and unfreeze accounts for free, since ID theft hurts taxpayers, steals Millions $$ from the IRS, costs the SS, etc.

A quote from article referencing the now-retired security chief...

In an interview I found, Mauldin said that in recruiting, “[w]e’re looking for good analysts, whether it’s a data scientist, security analyst, network analyst, IT analyst, or even someone with an auditing degree. ... Security can be learned.”

We never opt in, they just grab our info and sell an appraisal of our data - what a nice business model.

I think it should be a Federal law we can freeze and unfreeze accounts for free, since ID theft hurts taxpayers, steals Millions $$ from the IRS, costs the SS, etc.

Right, I constantly mix Experian and Equifax in my brain and now it appears to be on my typing too. Sorry

I would not be so quick to assume she is unqualified. Although I was a computer science major, I worked with some incredibly talented technical folks throughout my career who majored in music or other non-techie fields. Someone with a technical degree from the 1990s or earlier would be extremely unlikely to have any cybersecurity "formal education" because it wasn't even a field then. So most folks in the field with more than 20 years of work experience learned through OJT, continuing education, etc.

I think a new phrase is "Don't quit your night job."

I would not be so quick to assume she is unqualified. Although I was a computer science major, I worked with some incredibly talented technical folks throughout my career who majored in music or other non-techie fields. Someone with a technical degree from the 1990s or earlier would be extremely unlikely to have any cybersecurity "formal education" because it wasn't even a field then. So most folks in the field with more than 20 years of work experience learned through OJT, continuing education, etc.

I totally understand. I have at various times held the title Of Electrical Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Process Engineer, Sr. Mechanical Engineer, and more. I don't even hold a Associates Degree.

However, in this case, If OTJ experience is sufficient enough to justify the position, I can't understand why would somebody be attempting to hide her internet presence? It doesn't pass the "smell test" for me. I could be wrong.

Very true. I cannot find how old she was, but back in the 70s/80s there were not a lot of comp sci/IT college majors around. A lot of technologies companies would hire music majors as those it that field tended to take a a logical, programmatic approach that was very similar to what was needed in IT at the time. The question is more if her work experience, not her college major, prepared her for her Equifax role.

I read the headlines on Friday. Seemed like several key players weren't fired, but their retirements were "effective immediately". What a racket.

Might be a glimmer of hope that you'll be able to freeze/un-freeze for free. That is if you want to wait for the House and Senate to get something through.

Elizabeth Warren's Equifax bill would make credit freezes free.
Elizabeth Warren's Equifax bill would make credit freezes free - Sep. 15, 2017

I used to pull over 1500 reports from Chilton/Equifax per month for years and
years. They were the Atlanta credit bureau that covered the southeast U.S. better than the other two national credit bureau companies. Of course they are now collecting much more info from banks and credit card companies' computers directly without human intervention.

Of course all credit bureau companies get information from banks. loan companies and credit card companies cross referenced by social security numbers, addresses and zip codes.

Last edited:
Isn't people holding high paying critical positions with little to no experience salient to the job just the American way?

Somebody's in TROUBLE......

Attachments

• equifax.JPG
    equifax.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 101
Q: Do you know what you get when you put an executive MBA program on top of a Music Major degree?

A: A VP that looks good and can sing!

I also heard of a situation where they moved a person from the assembly line into the Quality Engineering area. After a few weeks, things were not working out. There was a 'how come' discussion in the office. Boss: "When you were hired (into an assembly line job) you put on the education part of the application that you had a bachelors degree in ME. Anyone who graduated with an engineering degree should understand these fundamentals."

Employee: "I have a bachelors degree in Music Education."

I read the headlines on Friday. Seemed like several key players weren't fired, but their retirements were "effective immediately". What a racket.

Read an article the other day comparing Equifax to Enron.

Looks like Innovis might soon be the third credit bureau :blush:.

I agree with this but typically an executive would be required to get an appropriate advanced degree even if it was from a diploma mill. Besides that it doesn't seem to have worked to well for her and she's allowed to retire with a golden parachute and scrubbing herself out of existence.

Last edited:
I agree with this but typically an executive would be required to get an appropriate advanced degree even if it was from a diploma mill. Besides that it doesn't seem to have worked to well for her and she's allowed to retire with a golden parachute and scrubbing herself out of existence.

She's probably getting cleaned up and sorted out for a stint in politics....:LOL:

Incredible.

However, I suspect she will be in high demand -- as a witness in the class action lawsuit sure to be filed (if it hasn't been already).

Back
Top Bottom