Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
I was feeling nervous until submitting my resignation and now I'm nothing but smiles. My last day is 4/15/16.

The house has been on the market for about a week now and we're already getting nibbles.

We're off to mid-coast Maine. Some folks think we're nuts for heading north but it's beautiful there and we've enjoyed vacationing on the Penobscot bay for ever.

Met with the Fidelity advisor yesterday to get things ready for rollover. In general finances look pretty good.

DW is going to continue to work from home at least through my transition.

I think we'll be fine.
congratulations !

Maine is a great place to visit enjoy
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Joining the ranks of the retired
Old 04-09-2016, 04:34 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats ...Maine is lovely in the summer but I have visions of being house bound in January What was the movie -The Shining?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Maine sounds great. Enjoy it! (And if you get cold in the winter, I bet you saved a few dollars for some vacations to warm weather places)
medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #24
Administrator

Congratulations, Keegs. The young wife and I have rented the same house in Damariscotta for two weeks each of the last 15 summers. We have been talking about moving up there after we retire in 3 more years.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #25

Congratulations, Keegs!

I just FIRED myself and my last day was Friday - tomorrow I get ot experience my first day of retirement
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I find Camden, Maine about as nice of a place as I'd ever want to live in--for the Spring/Summer/Fall.
Otherwise known as June/July/August.

Quote:
It's just a tough place for weather in Winter--that's all.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Congratulations, Keegs. The young wife and I have rented the same house in Damariscotta for two weeks each of the last 15 summers. We have been talking about moving up there after we retire in 3 more years.
Thanks Gumby,

Ah!!.. Damariscotta is one of the many great little towns that we've visited but haven't really explored yet. The theater there will likely be our first stop as well as the many great waterfront restaurants. I'm told by locals that each town has its own vibe.

Our real estate search stretched from Belfast to Damariscotta. Prices there and around Newcastle were reasonable as I recall. Good luck.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
Maine sounds great. Enjoy it! (And if you get cold in the winter, I bet you saved a few dollars for some vacations to warm weather places)
Hi Medved, I have lots of family in Florida.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Congratulations, Keegs!

I just FIRED myself and my last day was Friday - tomorrow I get ot experience my first day of retirement
back at you Euro
Old 04-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #30

Congrats. Welcome to the fun side of life.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #31

Hey
1) potential buyers are nice people great. This however is a business transaction. You no doubt have priced your house fairly..
If they low ball you "we really can't afford.." Sorry there will be other buyers.

Something about the way you phrased it all got me worried. remember business transaction.
If I'm wrong please forgive an old man.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Brave new world! Any transition can be kind of scary but it sounds like you are ready, ready, ready!
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #33

BIG Congratulations!!
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I won't call it buyer's remorse but that smile I was wearing post resignation has been somewhat tempered by a sense of loss. My colleagues were so open hearted and gracious with me this last week.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
I won't call it buyer's remorse but that smile I was wearing post resignation has been somewhat tempered by a sense of loss. My colleagues were so open hearted and gracious with me this last week.
keegs, I found the same thing! While it is certainly a cliche, for me, it really is the PEOPLE I'll miss most, not the job. However, judging by my first week of retirement, I'm guessing I'll likely get over both of those.....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations! I think your mid-coast Maine decision is the right one. I've been retired for three weeks now and have lived in mid coast Maine for over 37 years. In all that time I haven't found another place I'd rather be.
Thormole is offline   Reply With Quote