Join Early Retirement Today

JP Morgan Buys Bear Stearns for $2 a share
Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

JP Morgan Buys Bear Stearns for $2 a share

JP Morgan Chase has just agreed to purchase Bear Stearns for $2 a share, which gives the investor banker a valuation of only $236,000,000. JP Morgan is guaranteeing trading obligations for Bear Stearns, effective immediately. Do you think this will resolve the crisis?

J.P. Morgan Rescues Bear Stearns - WSJ.com
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #2

No, it is a solvency problem, not just liquidity. I think it that should be clear now.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Worth $3.54 billion on Friday and sell over the weekend for $236M. Wonder who paid for the difference? You guess it...poor Bear Stearns investors.....Just as good as going bankrupt IMHO...the bottom is near??

Enjoy,

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #4

You think that loss makes this a bottom? God, that seems hopeful to me. How can all these companies lose this much money?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The bottom is near? Are you kidding?

I've been saying since early last year that we were facing a slow motion meltdown. Dollar - mortgages - trade deficits - negative savings rates. Now the slow motion is an avalanche.

BSC for $2/share? Do you really believe its just Bear? Hell, their CEO said on Wed that they had excellent liquidity. Who do you believe anymore?

There is a long way down yet. The bleak reality of what we face has not yet begun to be factored in by equities. I'll go back to my original forecast (probably to be proven wrong) - the DOW hits 10000 before 15000. Hell, it could happen tomorrow.

Hey Brewer...the man who accused me of wearing a tin foil hat...and of being a piglet sodomiz_ _ - how are those financials that you called a smoking bargain back in August performing?

This pressure has been building for years and years, and now its time for America to pay the piper.
cyclone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just keep buying stocks. Few years from now you will go hey that Notmuchlonger guy was right.. That was quality news letter advice. Consider yourselves lucky I shared a tidbit.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Just keep buying stocks. Few years from now you will go hey that Notmuchlonger guy was right.. That was quality news letter advice. Consider yourselves lucky I shared a tidbit.
\

Is that a bottom call?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
\

Is that a bottom call?

Im not a market timer I been fully invested forever.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
I been fully invested forever.
Sorry to hear that at times like this.

How have you done, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Sorry to hear that at times like this.

How have you done, if you don't mind me asking?
7 to 10 % down I don't know off the top of my head. 75/25 AA. I sleep the same at night with being down like this or up like this. I believe in positive returns in the long run.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/03/15/is-lehman-brothers-next/
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
7 to 10 % down I don't know off the top of my head. 75/25 AA. I sleep the same at night with being down like this or up like this. I believe in positive returns in the long run.
Thanks, I'd never say you are doing anything wrong with your approach.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, I'd never say you are doing anything wrong with your approach.
I guess only time will answer that question of whether its right or wrong
Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
I guess only time will answer that question of whether its right or wrong
If we only knew.........
Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - I just remembered I have a bunch of old JP Morgan stock amongst my 34 DRIP plans I canceled and moved to Vanguard brokerage.

Hope they got a bargin! .

As I recall I started the DRIP back when JP was choking on Argentine debt back in the late 80's early 90's.

heh heh heh - o well if they cut div.'s they can join my other dead but not buried dogs -Aetna, Union Pacific and Aquila. Aquila's about lowered into the grave.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - looks like the far east markets across the international dateline are already tanking - The Chinese Proverb 'may you live in interesting times' - could get well er ah interesting.

heh heh heh - buckle up! .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - looks like the far east markets across the international dateline are already tanking - The Chinese Proverb 'may you live in interesting times' - could get well er ah interesting.

heh heh heh - buckle up! .
Everything I am reading is predicting a very difficult week ahead (and beyond). Even sources that I would expect to be fairly conservative are saying alarming things, and sounding like Cramer. They say that other banks are sure to follow, and the interest rate may be cut 1-2% by Tuesday but that may not be enough to help, and that the dollar is tanking.

So, I am holding on to my hat and because this part of the roller coaster ride might be long and bumpy (apparently).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #18

No doubt Ben is watching CNBC and ready to pull the "plunger" before the US market opens...I wonder how much pizza and mountain dew he has had this weekend...
Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #19

I don't see what he has left to pull. Maybe the helicopter.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
No doubt Ben is watching CNBC and ready to pull the "plunger" before the US market opens...I wonder how much pizza and mountain dew he has had this weekend...
I am a teetotaler but if I was in his shoes, I think I'd go for something considerably stronger than pizza and mountain dew by now! I am watching CNBC too but right now, all they are talking about is how badly the foreign markets are responding and tanking at the moment.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote