Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Jumping to TaxAct Online Version
Old 03-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jumping to TaxAct Online Version

I have decided to use the online version of TaxAct this year.

1. t imported my last year's data, so I assume that although I used the download version last year, it collected all my data when I filed. Yes?

2. When do I pay for TaxAct with the online version? When I file?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Al,

Regarding Q2:
Do you have to pay for the online version of TaxAct? I know that there is a free version of the Desktop TaxAct that will allow you E-File a Federal return.

Not sure if I fully understand Q1). If you have 1099-Rs, 1099-INT etc showing up in Online TaxAct for 2014 that have no dollar amounts but do have Payer IDs, names and addresses then I would think that your import went okay. Was there a specific concern about the import?

Note I have used the desktop TaxAct every year although I did start up the online TaxAct this year just to view it and was impressed about how similar it seemed to the desktop version at first glance.

Regards
gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

TaxAct on-line will prompt you for payment when you try to use one of the paid features. You can do the whole thing for free, but it's limited as far as getting printouts and such.

I still find it a little confusing, I seem to remember looking for a way to pay at one time, and I couldn't find it - but it found me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #4

I filed with Tax Act a couple weeks ago, and have already received both my federal & state refunds. I paid I believe $20.99 at the very end of the entire transaction. They ask for your bank account info and password/ID stuff so you can access and check on your return or status. My refund came do quickly I never had a chance to check on it. I've used TaxAct probably 7 or 8 times over the last 10-12 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
......... I paid I believe $20.99 at the very end of the entire transaction.........
As I mentioned in another post, it is available for $12 if you do a Google search for "TaxAct discount code" or similar. I started there, then it asked me if I had filed with them before and it pulled in last year's information.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

I've been using the downloaded version of Taxact for 8 years. I was wondering why you would want to do it online? It seems that this could opens up possible internet issues. Although I save my returns as pdf files, I also like the idea of being able to review an old return by re-installing the saved software. I also use the current year software to estimate next year's quarterly taxes.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I've been using the downloaded version of Taxact for 8 years. I was wondering why you would want to do it online? It seems that this could opens up possible internet issues.
For me, one big advantage to doing it on-line is that the program you access is always up-to-date. It seemed that every single time I opened TT, even just to check a number, it (automatically, and no override, IIRC) started to download and install huge updates. It took a long time to download and install those updates, which probably had zero affect on my return.

Knowing it is backed up in almost real time is nice as well.

Quote:
Although I save my returns as pdf files, I also like the idea of being able to review an old return by re-installing the saved software. I also use the current year software to estimate next year's quarterly taxes.

Good in theory, but a bunch of my TT returns were done on Mac OS Classic... good luck opening that software. Will Win10 open the TT/TA program from Win98? I think keeping pdf's of everything you might need is about as good as you can do.

Q for those using TaxAct on-line. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it seems awkward to get all the back-up forms and worksheets that I need/want to save. It seems I need to go and find them, and print-to-pdf for each one, which is many steps, and easy to miss something. The "Instructions and forms" has a lot of stuff, but not everything. Is there a shortcut to cover this?

-ERD50
Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Q for those using TaxAct on-line. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it seems awkward to get all the back-up forms and worksheets that I need/want to save. It seems I need to go and find them, and print-to-pdf for each one, which is many steps, and easy to miss something. The "Instructions and forms" has a lot of stuff, but not everything. Is there a shortcut to cover this?-ERD50
1. Sign in to TaxAct online.
2. If you have already submitted the return, you will need to open it before proceeding.
3. Select "My Return" in the top right corner.
4. Select "Print Center" from the drop down list.
5. Select "Custom Print".
6. Choose "Select All" on the right side of the screen.
7. Click the "Print" button at the bottom of the screen.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
1. Sign in to TaxAct online.
2. If you have already submitted the return, you will need to open it before proceeding.
3. Select "My Return" in the top right corner.
4. Select "Print Center" from the drop down list.
5. Select "Custom Print".
6. Choose "Select All" on the right side of the screen.
7. Click the "Print" button at the bottom of the screen.
Thank You!!!

I guess what I had done in the past was to go to the forms, which allows you to print from there. Since you could print from there, I guess I never looked for a different way in. But that is a long list, and you need to hunt for what you want.

I tried your approach, and yep, that does it! I knew there had to be an easier way, should have asked a long time ago.

-ERD50
Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've been using TaxAct for about 6 (maybe 7?) years and the online version since 2011. Works very well and the integration from year to year has been seemless.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #11

ERD50, you bring up some valid points and each of us have different circumstances. Using Taxact, I didn't have a problem with the updating which I was able to control. You are right about changes in our OS which could prevent re-installing, at least, very old software versions. I have been living overseas for over 8 years so having reliable internet has been an issue for me.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

In Taxact, is there something like "Itsdeductible" (HR Block has something similar too) to handle donations to charity that just get imported to create the proper form?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
For me, one big advantage to doing it on-line is that the program you access is always up-to-date. It seemed that every single time I opened TT, even just to check a number, it (automatically, and no override, IIRC) started to download and install huge updates. It took a long time to download and install those updates, which probably had zero affect on my return.

Knowing it is backed up in almost real time is nice as well.
It may be that for TT you originally chose to automatically update when you installed it. For me, every time TT asks if I want to update. So I have the option of letting it update or not. This may also be a function of number/size of the updates at the time and certainly has to do with download speed. It's never been much of an problem for me.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
It may be that for TT you originally chose to automatically update when you installed it. For me, every time TT asks if I want to update. So I have the option of letting it update or not. This may also be a function of number/size of the updates at the time and certainly has to do with download speed. It's never been much of an problem for me.
OK, it sounds like they improved this since I switched (2005). Or maybe I'm mis-remembering, and it didn't force an update every time, but I'm still pretty sure that it will force the update before you can file (makes sense). And since I never knew if the update might affect me or not, I guess I did run it in most cases.

-ERD50
Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
In Taxact, is there something like "Itsdeductible" (HR Block has something similar too) to handle donations to charity that just get imported to create the proper form?
It's called "Donation Assistant" but I believe the import feature only works with the paid versions of TaxAct (Deluxe and Ultimate).

Link: Donation Assistant - General Information | Help Topics | TaxACT

It has an app for recording donations during the year.

Donation Assistant® by TaxACT - Track & maximize your deduction for donations
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
It's called "Donation Assistant" but I believe the import feature only works with the paid versions of TaxAct (Deluxe and Ultimate).

Link: Donation Assistant - General Information | Help Topics | TaxACT

It has an app for recording donations during the year.

Donation Assistant® by TaxACT - Track & maximize your deduction for donations

Thanks for the info. I'll be using TT this year for my taxes. But it is good to know my options out there, just in case
Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

One reason I switched to online is that I count 1,249 exe files in my program files folder, some of which nag me to upgrade.

I have only done a bit of data entry, but so far, I liked the download version better. I probably feel that way simply because it's different.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

UPDATE: Next year I will use the downloadable version.

At one point I just wanted to print the return in its current state, and could find no way to do that except by pretending that I was going to print and mail the forms. I didn't want to do that, so I waiting until the print and review section of the efiling part.

At one point, I hit the back arrow on the browser, and Taxactonline got BOS (bent outta shape) and for a while I couldn't even log in.

At another point, it told me that I hadn't entered payer info for a 1099R, but I had no way to know which 1099R it was referring to.

Also, the online version seemed less snappy.

So, I'm leaving a note to myself for next year to use the downloaded version.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
UPDATE: Next year I will use the downloadable version.

At one point I just wanted to print the return in its current state, and could find no way to do that except by pretending that I was going to print and mail the forms. I didn't want to do that, so I waiting until the print and review section of the efiling part. ...
See posts #8 + #9.

-ERD50
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #20

I have been happy for over 10 years using TaxAct downloadable each year.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote