Join Early Retirement Today

Just bought $50,000 worth of Wellesley
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just bought $50,000 worth of Wellesley

Yes. You read the thread title correctly. The post from Accidental Retiree under the "Say Goodbye to the 4% Rule - tips from the WSJ " did it for me .

This is the first time in my life I invest in something other than CDs, munis, or their European equivalent (apart from very small annuities).

If I lose money on this Wellesley Income Fund, I will send the bill to Midpack and ERD50

Take care everyone

Ob
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interesting that you bought on the day the fund hit an all-time high.

You will do fine as long as you don't get nervous in a downturn and sell.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
First thing I thought of!

But, yes, I think it is highly unlikely that a young fella like Obgyn65 would leave this earth with Wellesley below the price he paid today. It's moved past all time highs many times in the past.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Holy Cow! I never thought we'd see the day. Congratulations obgyn65 on getting your feet wet. Let's see, that would be a ~2% allocation to equities? Well, you gotta start somewhere!

And to Accidental Retiree, I bet you never thought you could have so much influence!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't know. That is such a new, risky and untried fund.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
If I lose money on this Wellesley Income Fund, I will send the bill to Midpack and ERD50
Jeeeeez, did the earth spin off it's axis?

Seriously, good for you. If you lose money on Wellesley, it'll be because you sold off when you shouldn't have most likely. Developing an AA & rebalancing is the easy part (despite all the discussions and books) - having the patience/discipline/intestinal fortitude to ride out the inevitable downturns when they hit is where most investors get themselves in trouble.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

I don't know what the AA would be exactly. Between 1 and 2%, I guess. Depending on GBP and Euro fluctuations vs USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Holy Cow! I never thought we'd see the day. Congratulations obgyn65 on getting your feet wet. Let's see, that would be a ~2% allocation to equities? Well, you gotta start somewhere!

And to Accidental Retiree, I bet you never thought you could have so much influence!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The idea is to buy high and sell at higher.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #9

Your purchase of Wellesley reminds me very strongly of my purchase of $50,000 of Vanguard Wellington in October, 2006. My intention was to create a "vacation fund" for DW, and that was one of the few funds I was willing to buy and hold indefinitely without fear of getting nervous and selling at the worst possible moment. The agreement with DW is that she can use any profit from Wellington over and above the initial investment for whatever purpose she wants, without consulting me or anybody else.

As I recall, those Wellington shares gained 15% the first year before getting clobbered like everything else in 2008. By being patient while stocks rebounded, she's made out extremely well. The most recent example is a tour of Japan she's going on in April.

Your underlying purpose in buying Wellesley is quite a bit different, but I predict if you're patient like DW, you will also see your initial investment grow in ways your other conservative investments won't be able to keep pace with.

Of course you are much wealthier that my family. If you want to go to Japan, you would just go, and not bother looking at how your investments are doing. Still, it's not a bad idea to adjust your spending a little based on investment performance.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
The idea is to buy high and sell at higher.
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm....seems like a sure sell signal to me.
ProGolferWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Jeeeeez, did the earth spin off it's axis?
I felt the tremors all the way to the east coast.

Just kidding.

Where is Uncle Mick with his famous "pssst...." comment ?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm a relative neophyte to this board and even I know that this is a big move for a very conservative investor. Well done! Hope it works out very well for you. Great idea to start with small portion of the portfolio so you can test the waters. They seem very warm at this point
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, a member with more than 28,000 posts probably didn't know that...
My comment was more to reassure obgyn65, a very conservative investor, on taking a step from a path he is used to, than to address REWahoo, but thank you for taking time from being a judge on the American Idol to post your many comments.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
My comment was more to reassure obgyn65, a very conservative investor, on taking a step from a path he is used to, than to address REWahoo, but thank you for taking time from being a judge on the American Idol to post your many comments.
Sorry if I touched a nerve...deleted if it makes you feel better.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
gone traveling

Congratulations. I'm a big fan of both Wellington and Wellesley. In fact, when I pull the trigger my plan is to essentially have my <15 year needs in Wellesley and my >15 year needs in Wellington with not much else.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #17

To be honest this is somewhat worrisome. When an extremely conservative investor (meant with all due respect - nothing wrong with Obgyn65 original approach to his retirement needs - he has the resources and LBYM approach to support it) decides to invest in a very conservative fund that has 35% allocated to stocks for the first time ever. .. This probably means that since 1/3 of my net worth is in Wellesley I need to start worrying about it...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry if I touched a nerve...deleted if it makes you feel better.
No, it was quite alright. No offense really taken. I appreciate the gesture though.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting decision. I decided today to put a bit more toward my annuities.
Sun456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #20

I have read about Wellesley for many years and bought some within the last year for DH and I. Now obgyn has bought some also. I am starting to get nervous too.

Seriously, congrats obgyn. I have been happy so far with Wellesley and need to buy some more before April 15.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote