Join Early Retirement Today

Just did the math, good news
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just did the math, good news

Just did the math on the future value of my retirement savings.

Using the last months market performance as a benchmark, and assuming the same going forward, I will have just over $121 Billion dollars by the time I reach age 68....time to do some estate planning I guess.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post

Using the last months market performance as a benchmark, and assuming the same going forward, I will have just over $121 Billion dollars by the time I reach age 68....time to do some estate planning I guess.
Sounds like you're less than 3 months old (born yesterday?).
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
Sounds like you're less than 3 months old (born yesterday?).

I'm a lot older than 3 months, but 5% growth, compounded monthly for a few decades, really adds up quickly!
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Well done.

I hear that past performance guarantees future return.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My TSP is up more than 9% for the year. I'm with you, I think this is what I'll use for future planning...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Hey, why not? I heard Dave Ramsey mention 12% as a good number to assume for mutual fund growth. Dave's never wrong. Is he?
heh heh
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Too bad that by that time, a hot dog will cost $150 Billion dollars..... Just kidding. Congratulations on your good investment returns.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Too bad that by that time, a hot dog will cost $150 Billion dollars..... Just kidding. Congratulations on your good investment returns.
Like the joke about the guy who freezes himself for 100 years. First thing he does is is call VAnguard and is happy to hear that he has 500 million dollars. The operator then comes on the line and says "Please deposit 1 million dollars for the next three minutes."
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Like the joke about the guy who freezes himself for 100 years. First thing he does is is call VAnguard and is happy to hear that he has 500 million dollars. The operator then comes on the line and says "Please deposit 1 million dollars for the next three minutes."
Hey, even though I'm only 63 I still think that first class postage ought to cost $0.03, that a fast food burger should cost $0.25, and that a Coke from a vending machine ought to cost $0.05. Oh Brave New World!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:

Suggest you plan your next move conservatively, but its safe to spend 60 Billion this year.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #11

if you were a true farmer, you would have titled the thread, "too much taxes" and complained about the tax burden you $121 billion brought you. then launched into a diatribe about how you have too much moisture.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Actually after taxes it is probably only $60 billion, so sorry to inform you that you have to go back to work.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:

Is your name Zuckerberg by chance?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #14

Excellent, you have the math skill set necessary to sell whole of life insurance polices with a straight face....
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Excellent, you have the math skill set necessary to sell whole of life insurance polices with a straight face....
Actually, my whole life policy bought in 1977 has had an IRR of 5.09% annually (gross premiums compared to cash surrender value) and that is attributing absolutely no value to the insurance benefit.

While I think BTID is a better strategy, whole life isn't as bad as some people think as long as you stick with it and for those who don't have the discipline to save the forced savings element is beneficial.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I just heard on Bloomberg radio this AM that most of the underfunded public pension plans are all calculating the future based on 8% annual return. Wow!

If we could all calculate our future based on 8% growth or return, we'd all look pretty good. Now, lets see, if we use 12%...
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Piker. Based on the .8% my portfolio is up today and excluding weekends, I should be worth around 395 trillion by the time I'm 65. I think I'll buy Tahiti for my 60th birthday and the US for my 65th birthday.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The market had not closed at the time of your post, so how did you know?

Anyway, Dow up 1.23%, S&P up 1.46%, Nasdaq 1.61%

My stock portion is up 1.59%, MF portion (including a couple of bond funds) up 1.28%. Total portfolio up 1.12% due to being only 70% in equities.

I will outbid you on Tahiti, I must let you know.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

That is great news! I know that I am secure because I own real estate. And since we all know that "Real estate can only go up" I can be certain that I will make a bundle!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hey, even though I'm only 63 I still think that first class postage ought to cost $0.03, that a fast food burger should cost $0.25, and that a Coke from a vending machine ought to cost $0.05. Oh Brave New World!
Just spent a long weekend in Fla keys, $2 for a coke in the machine !!!
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote