Join Early Retirement Today

Just finished my taxes - ACA
Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished my taxes - ACA

I finally got the 1099B and Form 8949 I was waiting for to finish my taxes. I am 57, working P/T for the last 7 years. I was able to obtain a Bronze plan through the ACA for 2014. I have income from work and investments.

My gross taxable income was $48.5K. I put the max amount into my HSA and IRA bringing my MAGI down to as low as possible. I will pay $0 in Federal Income Tax and will get a check back from the US Treasury for $1800 (refundable ACA tax credit). The $1800 is almost exactly equal to what I paid in Social Security Payroll Tax.

It doesn't pay to work anymore.

What a country, I am sure glad the boat my family was on stopped here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #2

It sounds like you do work (part time)... You've just optimized your taxes. You couldn't do an IRA if you didn't have earned income. You also wouldn't have paid into SS if you didn't work. So it does pay to work - since you're paying into a system (SS) that will benefit you later.

The tax code is a mess - but I'm all for individuals taking advantage of any tax advantages they can, as long as the rules are followed.

Congrats on your zero taxes.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I really don't get it. I am going to need to look more into ACA as we prepare to FIRE within the next few years. Seems as if I may not need to worry so much about cost of health insurance during ER. As a retiree, I will be eligible for company plan, but that probably will be much costlier than ACA.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #4

I stand corrected. It doesn't pay to work full time anymore.

I have been doing 20 hrs a week since May '07. As I turn 58 soon and my daughter is now out of college I think later this year I will pull the plug and venture into the waters of full FIRE.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rut row look again.

As Obamacare sign-ups extended, 800,000 incorrect tax statements - MarketWatch
Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
The numbers on my 1095A match the statements I have from Anthem and Healthcare.gov, both for subsidy and premium, the SLCSP price is the same as the information I printed from Healthcare.gov when I signed up. No issues with this for me.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had to call the NY Marketplace to find out why some of the numbers on my 1095-A form were not what I expected. The tax guy I eventually got transferred to had all the answers which was nice. (And I didn't have to be put on hold for very long.)

Because my MAGI was near the upper limit to qualify for a subsidy, it ended up being very low. I didn't ask for any advance premium subsidy because I don't pay any income taxes until the 4th quarter estimated taxes. I use the overpayment of my HI premium as a backhanded tax withholding.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote