Join Early Retirement Today

Just finished phase 1
Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
gone traveling

Just finished phase 1

I just finished phase 1 of operation "create income", sold off 40k of silver yesterday and will be throwing it to 2 high yield etfs, phase 2 calls for another 40k sell off and 2 more issues and phase 3 will be another 20-40k to create around 17k a year through dividends.

I always hear "don't care base yield" but that's what I am, a yield chase
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I just finished phase 1 of operation "create income", sold off 40k of silver yesterday and will be throwing it to 2 high yield etfs, phase 2 calls for another 40k sell off and 2 more issues and phase 3 will be another 20-40k to create around 17k a year through dividends.

I always hear "don't care base yield" but that's what I am, a yield chase
Was it coins or bullion? Did you make money on the per ounce sale?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
gone traveling

Bullion, I started buying at $16 and under but bought into the $30's too, I had 16000 oz at one time, down to about half that now. I'll still be hanging on to my gold but felt I need to get some of it working for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Bullion, I started buying at $16 and under but bought into the $30's too, I had 16000 oz at one time, down to about half that now. I'll still be hanging on to my gold but felt I need to get some of it working for me.
You have $10M in gold bullion?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Silver
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post

I wish, if I had 10mil in gold bullion I wouldn't be looking for yield
Old 09-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of ETFs are you targeting to get a 17% yield?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

bdcl, reml, amjl, and morl, all paying over 17%

Can anyone shed some light on these issues, charts look pretty solid and dividends have never been cut
Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
bdcl, reml, amjl, and morl, all paying over 17%

Can anyone shed some light on these issues, charts look pretty solid and dividends have never been cut
No personal experience, but with most of the high yield ETFs, total return stinks.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No personal experience, but with most of the high yield ETFs, total return stinks.

Yep, but these charts look half decent, returns aren't great but they seem to be pretty steady, my intent is monthly income with preservation of the capital
Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #11

BigCharts shows BDCL shows data going back only as far as 2012. It is currently down 30% from that time but at one time was down 60%

MORL looks like it goes back to 2013 and is currently down 25% from then and was down 66% at one time. Doesn't look like capital preservation I don't care what the div payout is.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
BigCharts shows BDCL shows data going back only as far as 2012. It is currently down 30% from that time but at one time was down 60%

MORL looks like it goes back to 2013 and is currently down 25% from then and was down 66% at one time. Doesn't look like capital preservation I don't care what the div payout is.

That's why I'm looking for insight on these issues, I only saw the charts to 2012 and 2013, I figured that's when they started, didn't realize they go back further
Old 09-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
gone traveling

How about REML?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #14

Quote:
That's why I'm looking for insight on these issues, I only saw the charts to 2012 and 2013, I figured that's when they started, didn't realize they go back further
Too risky for me. I am going for the safety of the Roulette wheel.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #15

Quote:
How about REML?
BigCharts shows it's only been around since mid 2016. Currently up 28%. Woopee. Personally I wouldn't touch any of these with a 10 foot pole. Boom-crash-boom-crash-boom-crash. Maybe in a few years they will find their sea legs and steady out.

I once took a seminar in stock market investing (a jillion yrs ago) I remember they guy saying when a company pays an outsized dividend it's because nobody wants to buy their stock. Basically ya gotta bribe people to by it.

Now these are ETFs. Maybe there's something else going on behind the green door that makes it all make sense. Nevertheless, with these kinds of dividends ..... The things that make you go "hmmm...?"
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
BigCharts shows it's only been around since mid 2016. Currently up 28%. Woopee. Personally I wouldn't touch any of these with a 10 foot pole. Boom-crash-boom-crash-boom-crash. Maybe in a few years they will find their sea legs and steady out.

I once took a seminar in stock market investing (a jillion yrs ago) I remember they guy saying when a company pays an outsized dividend it's because nobody wants to buy their stock. Basically ya gotta bribe people to by it.

Now these are ETFs. Maybe there's something else going on behind the green door that makes it all make sense. Nevertheless, with these kinds of dividends ..... The things that make you go "hmmm...?"

Im not persuaded but will give more thought and research more, still seeking double digit yields. I was thinking of going with 5 issues at 20k a piece but now with your scare tactics I'm now thinking more like 6 or 7 at 10-15k a piece. I am a little more risk tolerant with this money, I view it as playing with house money, its money accumulated from rental income
Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

A friend of mine retired in 1999 as part of an early retirement package. The company gave them a few months pay and dropped some of the early retirement age penalties on the pension calculation. It was not a bad deal, if you were close to retiring anyway.

He shared with me the secret: "Anybody can make 15% in the market!"
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #18
gone traveling

Picked up my first 4 issues this morning, 18% average dividend yield