Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Just got a letter from the IRS
Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just got a letter from the IRS

That says I need to send in a hard copy of my 1095A form. This makes no sense (I know IRS = sense = oxymoron), because my 1095s came from the marketplace. They MUST already have this information electronically.

Anybody else get such a letter?

The main hassle is that I am getting a refund this year (last year was a mess tax wise - end of regular j*b, new child, moving to exchange health insurance plan.)
timmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Very strange. If you file electronically the IRS doesn't ask for the form to be mailed, and if there was a mistake on the 1095 the IRS doesn't ask you to pay the difference. Did you file electronically, and did you include the 1095 information it the return?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"They MUST already have this information electronically."

Full disclosure: I just retired from a large municipal gov't agency , small fraction of size complexity of the feds. Co-operation and co-ordination between gov. agency's ? Often not, even in this " Information Age" Often quicker for a worker bee to have a hard copy.

HIIPA privacy issues could come into the scene too.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I had a question about my 1095-A form, I asked a rep at my state's (New York) exchange if it would matter when completing my federal tax return and he told me it would not because that form would not be filed with my return.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Very strange. If you file electronically the IRS doesn't ask for the form to be mailed, and if there was a mistake on the 1095 the IRS doesn't ask you to pay the difference. Did you file electronically, and did you include the 1095 information it the return?
Yes, I filed electronically and it was accepted as complete.
Yes, I included the 1095 information.

A LONG call with the IRS shed no new light. They want a hard copy, but won't say why. Yes, they know the information is available to them from the marketplace, but they are requiring me to send it in. At this point, I am not being audited and I know the numbers are correct (I checked and rechecked).
Old 03-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if another person has tried to use your 1095 information and they are running down a fraudulent return.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

As the OP, I thought I would give an update.

After faxing in my 1095s as requested, I heard nothing until the refund was deposited in my account this week.

So, it looks like the IRS just needed to see hard copies since I had 3 different 1095s.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

With three 1095s you were likely a statistical outlier.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Had a nice note from the IRS last week suggesting that I send them about $2300 for unpaid taxes and interest. Said they would be letting my home state know I was a bit light in the payment department. After puzzling it out I found that they had received 1099 forms from an appliance/coin-op laundry company and from the local section 8 housing office. I did pay the taxes on those amounts, and our tax prep person drafted a nifty curt letter to them to that effect. Not good for the ol' ticker though - really don't enjoy that kind of surprise stress.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote