Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Yawn, no plans to do anything with it. Just showed up electronically in my checking account. I can see some folks getting excited about it but not me. Its just a loan to myself.
Anyone actually getting excited?
I'd be excited if I got one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I got $600 bucks Friday. Then picked up my mail Friday and the IRS says I owe $124 on my 2006 taxes. Fidelity's reported income does not match mine on my 1040. wtf?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I sent my $1500 off to Vanguard.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #24

Man ... you people are awfully trusting of Uncle Sam to give him direct access to your checking accounts. If he can put $$ IN, he can take $$ OUT.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Man ... you people are awfully trusting of Uncle Sam to give him direct access to your checking accounts. If he can put $$ IN, he can take $$ OUT.
You think Uncle Sam needs your permission to access your checking account?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #26

hmmm, good point ... hard to work out of a mattress.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You think Uncle Sam needs your permission to access your mattress?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You think Uncle Sam needs your permission to access your mattress?

WHAT?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by podey View Post
I got $600 bucks Friday. Then picked up my mail Friday and the IRS says I owe $124 on my 2006 taxes. Fidelity's reported income does not match mine on my 1040. wtf?
IRS messed mine up too. Got the $1200 direct deposit, but they must have "forgot" that I have 2 kids under 17 (and 2 more above 17 that don't count ) . Not sure how they could have missed it, as TurboTax has their birthdates and SSNs. Guess I gotta give the IRS a call - or shouldn't I open that can of worms...:confused:
Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #30

Wife & I wanted to put it to its best use. So we sent it on to Habitat For Humanity. We returned from working on a HFH project in Biloxi, MS a week ago. The money will be well used. Folks struggling with housing problems there that have nothing to do with the mortgage finance issues in the rest of the country.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
IRS messed mine up too. Got the $1200 direct deposit, but they must have "forgot" that I have 2 kids under 17 (and 2 more above 17 that don't count ) . Not sure how they could have missed it, as TurboTax has their birthdates and SSNs. Guess I gotta give the IRS a call - or shouldn't I open that can of worms...:confused:
Check into the fine print. There was something in there about reductions in the amounts paid for kids under certain circumstances. I think that if your use of the child tax credit was reduced, so is your kickback.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Check into the fine print. There was something in there about reductions in the amounts paid for kids under certain circumstances. I think that if your use of the child tax credit was reduced, so is your kickback.
Guess I will wait until I get their explanation in writing. I believe bullet item 2 may have applied, as I am still using up our adoption credit from 3 years ago as well as some Hope/Lifetime credits. Doesn't seem quite right, but maybe it all comes out in the wash and will get more back when I file taxes next year.
The snippet from irs.gov Economic Stimulus Payments: Most Frequently Asked Questions says:

Your payment may be less than the maximum for one or more of the following reasons:
  • You are single and your net income tax liability is less than $600. If you file Form 1040 net income tax liability is the amount shown on Line 57, plus the amount on Line 52.
  • You are married and your net income tax liability is less than $1,200.
  • You are single and your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than $75,000. On Form 1040, AGI is the amount on Line 37.
  • You are married filing a joint return and your AGI is more than $150,000.
  • You owe back taxes that reduced your payment.
  • You have non-tax federal debts such as unpaid student loans or child-support obligations that reduced your payment.
Around the time you receive your payment, you will also receive a notice from the IRS explaining how your payment was calculated. It is important to keep this notice as a record of your economic stimulus payment. In addition, you’ll get a separate notice if you owe back taxes or non-tax debts that were offset or deducted from your stimulus payment.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #33

Hang in there - the second letter from the IRS will come about a week after you get you payment along with the phone number to call if you still have questions.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Not eligible for stimulus check, but paid $5,500 in AMT.

Dave
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Anyone else wish they'd just kept the two "you're a winner!" letters, saved the $xx million in postage and processing, and gave us all an extra .50c?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone else wish they'd just kept the two "you're a winner!" letters, saved the $xx million in postage and processing, and gave us all an extra .50c?
I purchased a couple of items from Home Depot the other day. The actual receipt was required maybe 5-6" of paper; the "log on and respond to our survey" portion was another 10-12"... Wonder how much extra they spend for me to recycle their extra paper...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Lowes did that for me yesterday. I bought one fence board as a sample to show my neighbors ($3.37). I struggled for about 5 minutes with the self checkout that asked me about 15 times to put the item in the bagging area, then take the unknown item out of the bagging area. Then it glerked on my credit card about 6 times in a row. Finally it spit out 3' of register tape.

I'm absolutely sure that no actual profit was generated for anyone in that transaction.
Let the spending begin!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Let the spending begin!

NEW YORK -- If U.S. consumers are worried about conserving cash from the tax-rebate cheques they've started getting in the mail, Dean Rallo isn't seeing any evidence of it at the four furniture and appliance stores he oversees in Buffalo.

Still, even if consumers end up spending most of their cheques, some economists say the stimulus effort won't be enough to avert what would be the first decline in U.S. personal consumption since 1991.
"I still maintain the business cycle is bigger than the government," David Rosenberg, North American economist with Merrill Lynch, said at a client conference in Singapore yesterday.

full article here, U.S. shoppers are using rebate cheques
Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #39

I've been thinking about splurging on a new washer and dryer with my big $600 check. At least it would help put a dent in the cost of replacing my 12 year pair. Hopefully new machines would lower my utility costs too.

Now I need to revisit the thread on washers and dryers.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #40

Sweet! im going to Costco today to celebrate!