Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Dog, just maneuver those friends close to the edge of a cliff for a photo after you drive them to the mountaintop and accidentally push them off. You'll be helping the environment bdcause you'll get great mileage on the way down without their smug asses and equipment weighing down your car.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a distinct dislike for people who are self righteous....about anything.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sigh

My BIL asked to borrow my truck because he needed to save money on the delivery of a bunch of wood and building materials from Home Depot. I said sure, can I borrow your sports car because I want to go fast around some corners? He, as usual, just stood there with his mouth open not comprehending. When he returned the truck he had put only about 5 gals of gas in it.

He also mistreated another tool I had lent him.

No more lending to him.

He was indignant when I wouldn't lend him my pressure washer.

Live and learn,
Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You guys are using your vehicle for what it does best. Seems only fair to use their vehicle for what it does best. Next time you need to run to the next town for a small errand, give one of your pals a call and see if they'll take you in their very efficient little car. When you've spent an hour of their time and wear-and-tear on their car, give them a buck for the gas they burned, and tell them how great you feel about saving the environment. The whole time you are in the car, go on and on about CO2, the value of carpooling like this, etc. Only do this a few times per month, same as your car is being used.
+1
This! 😈
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
It just irks me that they are so smug about how they are saving the world by owning a Prius and look down on those who drive combustible engines, but don't hesitate to ask me to use my gas burning, polluting engine to get them where they want to be.

Okay...,I feel better getting that off my chest!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Wow, we run in different crowds. The last time I was talking to some of my car buddies, we were comparing (bragging) about which of our current cars got the worse mileage. I didn't win that one. A friend of mine with a street legal modified 440 68 Road Runner won the honors with a 7 to 8 mpg gas hog...
Old 10-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Wow, we run in different crowds. The last time I was talking to some of my car buddies, we were comparing (bragging) about which of our current cars got the worse mileage. I didn't win that one. A friend of mine with a street legal modified 440 68 Road Runner won the honors with a 7 to 8 mpg gas hog...
Hell, I can beat that. I have a 1976 Grand LeMans with the California/high-altitude Pontiac 350-4bbl, and I can get that sucker down to 7-8 mpg! My reasoning for the LeMans beating out the Road Runner is that, at least a 440 Road Runner is fast, so you get some advantage to your gas guzzling. My LeMans is thirsty AND slow!

To be fair though, that's in local driving. When I've gone on longer trips to car shows, it might get 15-16 mpg on highway runs.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Hell, I can beat that. I have a 1976 Grand LeMans with the California/high-altitude Pontiac 350-4bbl, and I can get that sucker down to 7-8 mpg! My reasoning for the LeMans beating out the Road Runner is that, at least a 440 Road Runner is fast, so you get some advantage to your gas guzzling. My LeMans is thirsty AND slow!

To be fair though, that's in local driving. When I've gone on longer trips to car shows, it might get 15-16 mpg on highway runs.
7-8 is what he get's driving it normally. I have no idea what he'd get if he pushed it which admittedly, he doesn't do very often. Of course even with that bad mileage it doesn't cost him much since I seriously doubt that he put more than 500 miles on it in the past year. It's too nice of a collector car to abuse it. No doubt he could get better mileage if he bump up the third member to a taller gear but that's not what he wants for that car.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
My BIL asked to borrow my truck because he needed to save money on the delivery of a bunch of wood and building materials from Home Depot. I said sure, can I borrow your sports car because I want to go fast around some corners? He, as usual, just stood there with his mouth open not comprehending. When he returned the truck he had put only about 5 gals of gas in it.

He also mistreated another tool I had lent him.

No more lending to him.

He was indignant when I wouldn't lend him my pressure washer.

Live and learn,
Mike D.
I guess almost everyone has a relative like that. A BIL of mine is, I learned a long time ago not to loan him anything. If it is possible to break it, he will. How can one manage to break the chuck on a 1/2" drill? He managed it.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I guess almost everyone has a relative like that. A BIL of mine is, I learned a long time ago not to loan him anything. If it is possible to break it, he will. How can one manage to break the chuck on a 1/2" drill? He managed it.
Well at least he bought you a new one that was just as good as the one he borrowed. Right?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well at least he bought you a new one that was just as good as the one he borrowed. Right?

"And a question ain't really a question, if you know the answer, too."

John Prine "Far From Me"
Old 10-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Ha. I should be so lucky.

He and that SIL are poor as the proverbial church mouse so I didn't really expect him to.