Just Griping

Those smug Prius driving bustards don't deserve to have you as a friend. I think you should just hang out with people that drive manly vehicles.

Hi Easysurfer,

No Prius envy here. I could have one if I wanted one. I carefully assessed the lifestyle I wanted in retirement and the Subaru best fit my needs (I'm a short, 57 YO woman and I can load my 16' kayak on the rack myself).

Also no smugness in owning an iPhone. It was the cell phone that work required and they let me keep it when I retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hi Easysurfer,

No Prius envy here. I could have one if I wanted one. I carefully assessed the lifestyle I wanted in retirement and the Subaru best fit my needs (I'm a short, 57 YO woman and I can load my 16' kayak on the rack myself).

Also no smugness in owning an iPhone. It was the cell phone that work required and they let me keep it when I retired.

Hi Dog,

That's good to know about the no Prius envy. What is a perfect car for one person is not the right one for someone else.

I have a brother who reminds me again and a again the benefits of his smartphone (iPhone). I tell him, I'm happy with my flip phone. Works for me. I don't want a smartphone on all the time just a "page" away from being contacted.

p.s. I misunderstood your original post. :blush:

Last edited:
That's exactly why we don't own a Prius. I think of them as "commuter" cars - for folks who have a lot of work commuting plus in-city driving for errands. Once you are ready to head off into the mountains for hiking or whatever, or packing the gear for that wildlife phot shoot - not so practical.
Lol, I'm actually stuck between a Prius C and HR-V. Primary use is to commute daily to work and that's in-city driving. However, the HR-V is just more practical for "long" drives when visiting relatives and for doing groceries and errands during weekends. :tongue:

@Dog
Maybe you should start charging for mileage. :tongue:

Lol, I'm actually stuck between a Prius C and HR-V. Primary use is to commute daily to work and that's in-city driving. However, the HR-V is just more practical for "long" drives when visiting relatives and for doing groceries and errands during weekends. :tongue:

@Dog
Maybe you should start charging for mileage. :tongue:

I had a similar choice a couple of years ago between a Prius C or Honda Fit. Though I really liked the Prius C (Even to this day -- I guess the grass is always greener on the other side), I went with the Honda Fit as for me, the extra cargo capability is my #1 need vs the crazy good gas mileage. One of the first thing I did when getting the fit was to haul away a large exercise bike to drop off at Goodwill -- something I could not do with a Prius C.

My wife gets this a lot she drives a GMC Sierra crew cab 4WD with a bed cover. So when the girls want to go shopping in Tucson 4 girls 4 big coolers who do you think drives. Luckily this is a once a quarter trip, and the others drive to Mexico for lunch and shopping which she doesn't like to do.

Most of the time I don't mind driving and they typically contribute towards gas money. It just irks me that they are so smug about how they are saving the world by owning a Prius and look down on those who drive combustible engines, but don't hesitate to ask me to use my gas burning, polluting engine to get them where they want to be.
You guys are using your vehicle for what it does best. Seems only fair to use their vehicle for what it does best. Next time you need to run to the next town for a small errand, give one of your pals a call and see if they'll take you in their very efficient little car. When you've spent an hour of their time and wear-and-tear on their car, give them a buck for the gas they burned, and tell them how great you feel about saving the environment. The whole time you are in the car, go on and on about CO2, the value of carpooling like this, etc. Only do this a few times per month, same as your car is being used.

Last edited:
We have a Prius, the thing has needed multiple repairs this year to the tune of about $3k. DW drives it every where. We also have an old F350 crew cab 4x4 that can go nearly anywhere off road. Then there is my car the Highlander. So not too much smugness for us, just a little bit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Most of the time I don't mind driving and they typically contribute towards gas money. It just irks me that they are so smug about how they are saving the world by owning a Prius and look down on those who drive combustible engines, but don't hesitate to ask me to use my gas burning, polluting engine to get them where they want to be.

Okay...,I feel better getting that off my chest!

Think maybe I'd play up how expensive it is for fuel is that pollution rich vehicle. Ask for more of that golden fuel.:)

Glad you like your Outback, I was thinking about looking for one to fill in for my ageing 4x4 Silverado. Smaller, way more gas efficient.

I think you're lucky to have some friends to enjoy your hobbies with.

If they have animals (dogs, cats, horses), you can tell them that dogs have a larger carbon footprint than an SUV. I looked this up one time because I have a relative that is very vocal about her dislike of the SUV but she has a horse and two large dogs.

Gave the Outback to the oldest as a wedding present when he got married last summer, but liked that car. Plowed through 1 foot of snow to the Colorado cabin. It was a manual and got close to 30 mpg on the highway.
We have a new Forester and and older Legacy (the latter was the commute car). I actually like the Outback better than the Forester because the former's visibility was so much better but DW likes the Forester because it is automatic.
The AWD is great, on all of them.

Hi Al18,

I met these ladies through some of the clubs I joined to meet people with similar interests. They are more acquaintances then friends at this point. I enjoy hiking, backpacking and snowshoeing with them, but we don't have much in common beyond the outdoor activities.
Again, I was just venting and am happy to have folks to play outside with 😉

RobLJ,
I am very happy with my Subaru so far. It safely gets me where I want to go and is very comfortable. I have also slept in it several times when weather was too crappy to pitch a tent. It is a great vehicle for me!

Last edited:
Dog, just maneuver those friends close to the edge of a cliff for a photo after you drive them to the mountaintop and accidentally push them off. You'll be helping the environment bdcause you'll get great mileage on the way down without their smug asses and equipment weighing down your car.

I have a distinct dislike for people who are self righteous....about anything.

Last edited:
Sigh

My BIL asked to borrow my truck because he needed to save money on the delivery of a bunch of wood and building materials from Home Depot. I said sure, can I borrow your sports car because I want to go fast around some corners? He, as usual, just stood there with his mouth open not comprehending. When he returned the truck he had put only about 5 gals of gas in it.

He also mistreated another tool I had lent him.

No more lending to him.

He was indignant when I wouldn't lend him my pressure washer.

Live and learn,
Mike D.

You guys are using your vehicle for what it does best. Seems only fair to use their vehicle for what it does best. Next time you need to run to the next town for a small errand, give one of your pals a call and see if they'll take you in their very efficient little car. When you've spent an hour of their time and wear-and-tear on their car, give them a buck for the gas they burned, and tell them how great you feel about saving the environment. The whole time you are in the car, go on and on about CO2, the value of carpooling like this, etc. Only do this a few times per month, same as your car is being used.

+1
This! 😈

It just irks me that they are so smug about how they are saving the world by owning a Prius and look down on those who drive combustible engines, but don't hesitate to ask me to use my gas burning, polluting engine to get them where they want to be.

Okay...,I feel better getting that off my chest!

Wow, we run in different crowds. The last time I was talking to some of my car buddies, we were comparing (bragging) about which of our current cars got the worse mileage. I didn't win that one. A friend of mine with a street legal modified 440 68 Road Runner won the honors with a 7 to 8 mpg gas hog...

Last edited:
Wow, we run in different crowds. The last time I was talking to some of my car buddies, we were comparing (bragging) about which of our current cars got the worse mileage. I didn't win that one. A friend of mine with a street legal modified 440 68 Road Runner won the honors with a 7 to 8 mpg gas hog...

Hell, I can beat that. I have a 1976 Grand LeMans with the California/high-altitude Pontiac 350-4bbl, and I can get that sucker down to 7-8 mpg! My reasoning for the LeMans beating out the Road Runner is that, at least a 440 Road Runner is fast, so you get some advantage to your gas guzzling. My LeMans is thirsty AND slow! :facepalm:

To be fair though, that's in local driving. When I've gone on longer trips to car shows, it might get 15-16 mpg on highway runs.

Hell, I can beat that. I have a 1976 Grand LeMans with the California/high-altitude Pontiac 350-4bbl, and I can get that sucker down to 7-8 mpg! My reasoning for the LeMans beating out the Road Runner is that, at least a 440 Road Runner is fast, so you get some advantage to your gas guzzling. My LeMans is thirsty AND slow! :facepalm:

To be fair though, that's in local driving. When I've gone on longer trips to car shows, it might get 15-16 mpg on highway runs.
7-8 is what he get's driving it normally. I have no idea what he'd get if he pushed it which admittedly, he doesn't do very often. Of course even with that bad mileage it doesn't cost him much since I seriously doubt that he put more than 500 miles on it in the past year. It's too nice of a collector car to abuse it. No doubt he could get better mileage if he bump up the third member to a taller gear but that's not what he wants for that car.

Last edited:
My BIL asked to borrow my truck because he needed to save money on the delivery of a bunch of wood and building materials from Home Depot. I said sure, can I borrow your sports car because I want to go fast around some corners? He, as usual, just stood there with his mouth open not comprehending. When he returned the truck he had put only about 5 gals of gas in it.

He also mistreated another tool I had lent him.

No more lending to him.

He was indignant when I wouldn't lend him my pressure washer.

Live and learn,
Mike D.

I guess almost everyone has a relative like that. A BIL of mine is, I learned a long time ago not to loan him anything. If it is possible to break it, he will. How can one manage to break the chuck on a 1/2" drill? He managed it.

I guess almost everyone has a relative like that. A BIL of mine is, I learned a long time ago not to loan him anything. If it is possible to break it, he will. How can one manage to break the chuck on a 1/2" drill? He managed it.

Well at least he bought you a new one that was just as good as the one he borrowed. Right?

Well at least he bought you a new one that was just as good as the one he borrowed. Right?

"And a question ain't really a question, if you know the answer, too."

John Prine "Far From Me"

Back
Top Bottom