Just like 2008

But it will be fun again. Santa is coming. Santa loves Wall St.

I count my money every day. Recently, it takes less time to count. :)

Me too! I am still kicking myself for not shorting, could've saved myself about 30-40k. DW says "stay the coarse" DCA it is. Low or high, I buy.

Buy a bull fund. Odds are good you'll see new all time highs by new years.

Me too! I am still kicking myself for not shorting, could've saved myself about 30-40k. DW says "stay the coarse" DCA it is. Low or high, I buy.

I rarely shorted anything. If I just sold some of my holdings to raise cash level to be able to buy back later at a lower price and lose less overall, I would be happy already.

In a bear market, if I can reduce my loss to be less than what happens if I do nothing, I consider it a success.

In other words, if I still lose money, but lose less than a buy-and-holder, I call it good.

NW, I tend to hold out hope that downturns are aberrations, so I hold on and don't have cash to buy back in. Wish my crystal ball was less hazy.

OK... it is a bit funny as the month was looking like it was going to be 50% worse loss than 10 years ago.. and that was in the 6 figure amount...

But, recovered the last few days and the results are.... (drum roll)... my monthly loss was $150 different than what it was 10 years ago!!!

That was the only 6 digit monthly loss I had.... and was looking at it move across the graph for 10 years and waiting when it would disappear... but now I have another 10 years to look at the new one :facepalm:...

And I am now making a bet... in 10 years I will get another 6 digit loss and will have to look at that one also...

Not wishing you ill as we are all in the same boat, but the chance of getting another drop like this in much less than 10 years is strong. :)

Before this drop, FireCalc had me at 100% Financially Independent by end of 2019 for a retirement to 95 years old. Now with this drop, I’m at 96% - 99% even after lowering my monthly expenses by $100-$150/month. Anyway, I was really hoping to be FI by next year 2019 but not retire, and targeting FIRE by 2020 to 2021. This drop gets some Fear into people. So Im mostly going to retire in 2021 or even 2022 for a buffer. However, my yearly budget includes one European trip each year .. I’m not on the Money Moustache budget yet. Lol

There is an old flight training rule regarding failed-engine landings at night:

As you get close to the ground, turn on your landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it off.

When the market is going up I tend to watch it and smile. When it's going down, I'm a long-term investor, landing light off.

My first night flight with an instructor said just that! And then he did it! hehe

We all know pilots aren't right in the squash.

It's from all that oxygen deprivation.

I have a friend who owned a Taylorcraft BC-12D (the one in my avatar) and would sometimes go to 10,000 feet and then spin down to ~1000 feet above ground just to see how many turns he could get in.

He freely admits to being "half a bubble off center".

Wall st on election watch. May you live in interesting times.

Back
Top Bottom