Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
The peace of mind after paying off a mortgage is under- rated. You don't realize it until it happens.
+1
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

This discussion inspired me... I just made the transaction and paid off our mortgage! So when does the peace of mind start happening?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
This discussion inspired me... I just made the transaction and paid off our mortgage! So when does the peace of mind start happening?
When the next mortgage payment would have been due and you can just bank the money instead.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When the next mortgage payment would have been due and you can just bank the money instead.
Exactly the same for me. When it came time to pay the mortgage, but... but... I didn't have to pay anything, now what was I to do with all this money
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So when does the peace of mind start happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sooooo... now you can bank the money to replace the money that you already had banked and used to pre-pay the mortgage?

Do I sense a bit(!) of... circular rationalization?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sooooo... now you can bank the money to replace the money that you already had banked and used to pre-pay the mortgage?

Do I sense a bit(!) of... circular rationalization?

-ERD50
Well, you do avoid paying interest so instead of part of the payment going to principal and part going to interest, you get to bank the whole thing.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Well, you do avoid paying interest so instead of part of the payment going to principal and part going to interest, you get to bank the whole thing.
True, but also consider the earning potential of the money that isn't locked up in house equity.

And once again, I'm not saying there is a right/wrong to this (in most cases) - I just have an aversion to lop-sided viewpoints.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrugalPhan View Post
Exactly the same for me. When it came time to pay the mortgage, but... but... I didn't have to pay anything, now what was I to do with all this money
I can invest it very aggressively now that I do not have to worry about mortgage payment.

By the way for us early on mortgage interest was not 100% deductible on taxes so we payed it off 4-5 years after buying house. That was long long long time ago

Why would you buy something on the margin if you do not have to?
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I can invest it very aggressively now that I do not have to worry about mortgage payment.
Oh trust me, me too. It was 3 years ago, and since then I have been able to max out my 457 plan (I actually had been for a few years prior), and start a brokerage account. In three years I have gone from $0 to over $40k in the brokerage while yearly maxing out the Roth and the 457 account (w/catch-up). Not bad when you consider I don't even make 6 digits (yet).
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

We just consider our paid-off mortgage to be a move of some assets into a real estate allocation.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fuego, congrats on paying off the mortgage. I think you found a situation where it makes a lot of sense.

I'm a bit skeptical on the claim that you'll be saving a lot more by not having a mortgage. I ran the numbers in my case and I would be saving about 15% more per year if my mortgage was paid off. Not a small amount, but not very large either.

I think I'll keep my mortgage for now, unless, like the OP, I happen to have enough cash on hand, it's earning less than my mortgage rate, and paying off the mortgage doesn't affect my cash flow.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I've been trying to raise cash for 2017 living expenses and a limit order finally executed today. Then I realized I would have that cash sitting in my money market account earning 1% before tax while I am paying 1.99% interest on my mortgage.

I spent 5 minutes thinking about it and a 6th minute transferring the money to Penfed.

Done.

I figure I won't need the cash I raised till 2017 anyway. Might as well be "earning" me 1.99% tax free by paying off the mortgage.
Good show .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
I hope you feel as elated and free as I did once I paid mine off. Funny, my NW seemed to increase exponentially after I got rid of the mortgage

Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
The peace of mind after paying off a mortgage is under- rated. You don't realize it until it happens.
Paid off my mine at 38. Goes against conventional thinking, but early retirement with good net worth is also un-conventional.

I currently put idle cash in 5 yr cd's paying 2.25% with a 6 mo penalty for early withdrawal . I will gladly pay that penalty if and when a real good price in real estate or equities comes along.

" You get rich by having 10 million sitting in the bank until real good deal comes along " - Charles Munger
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Ok, pretty funny follow up. I tried to pay it off as close as possible but I left a $38.00 balance on the account that'll get paid by auto-payment July 5th. I just mentioned this fact to DW.

Her response is golden: "Oh, I must have missed something. You paid off the mortgage? I remember you mentioned something about it but I wasn't paying attention."

Classic. As I recall she got up in the middle of my few minutes of thinking about paying off the mortgage and began tidying up the room so I guess she was ignoring me and giving me the "uh huh honey of course" responses. Busted.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Ok, pretty funny follow up. I tried to pay it off as close as possible but I left a $38.00 balance on the account that'll get paid by auto-payment July 5th. I just mentioned this fact to DW.

Her response is golden: "Oh, I must have missed something. You paid off the mortgage? I remember you mentioned something about it but I wasn't paying attention."

Classic. As I recall she got up in the middle of my few minutes of thinking about paying off the mortgage and began tidying up the room so I guess she was ignoring me and giving me the "uh huh honey of course" responses. Busted.
Funny. I spent years working out ways to get rid of our mortgage. Extra principal payment, bi-weekly payments, refinance shorter term, etc. Finally, got it done. Made a big deal about it to DW. Six months later she asked me how much we're paying on our mortgage each month.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrugalPhan View Post
Oh trust me, me too. It was 3 years ago, and since then I have been able to max out my 457 plan (I actually had been for a few years prior), and start a brokerage account. In three years I have gone from $0 to over $40k in the brokerage while yearly maxing out the Roth and the 457 account (w/catch-up). Not bad when you consider I don't even make 6 digits (yet).
I had a buddy at work who put all his extra money toward paying off their house so that they could get rid of that mortgage payment and be able to put all that extra money into investments & retirement accounts.

When I retired at 58, he asked how I could do it so early. By putting my extra money into growing stocks instead of pouring it into the mortgage, duh!

I'm still retired, and he is still working, hoping that his accounts will grow enough before he gets caught in a layoff. His wife has peace of mind that the house is paid off. My wife, OTOH, is just wanting to stay home this summer instead of going on another world cruise.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I recall she got up in the middle of my few minutes of thinking about paying off the mortgage and began tidying up the room so I guess she was ignoring me and giving me the "uh huh honey of course" responses. Busted.
Maybe she also forgot that you told her about the boat you are buying with the mortgage payment money. Hey, it's worth a try.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
I had a buddy at work who put all his extra money toward paying off their house so that they could get rid of that mortgage payment and be able to put all that extra money into investments & retirement accounts.

When I retired at 58, he asked how I could do it so early. By putting my extra money into growing stocks instead of pouring it into the mortgage, duh!

I'm still retired, and he is still working, hoping that his accounts will grow enough before he gets caught in a layoff. His wife has peace of mind that the house is paid off. My wife, OTOH, is just wanting to stay home this summer instead of going on another world cruise.
All depends on the timing.

When I was making extra principal payments, all of my friends thought I was stupid. You should be putting that money in the stock market! My boss even took out a HELOC and invested it all. Suggested I do the same. Nobody could lose! The year was 2000. If the stock had ".com" somewhere in the name, it was a sure thing and would double at a moments notice. Until it didn't.

I had my house paid off in 2001. My friends lost most of their money day-trading and still had big mortgages. I was debt-free and used the "extra" money buying boring old mutual funds. Semi-retired at 50.

Like I said it all depends on the timing. Sometimes paying of a mortgage ends up (in hindsight) being a bad choice. Sometimes not. Maybe we both got lucky?
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post

Your buddy made mistake of buying too expensive house for his income. One should be able to pay off house in 3-4 years IMO after putting 20% down. (while maxing out 401k)

Then you have 20 plus years of putting money into equities without any worry about mortgage payment..... and retire shortly after 50.

BTW I live in my first house which appreciated greatly over the years. Yet we could pay off 80% value of the house in 3-4 years even today.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Maybe she also forgot that you told her about the boat you are buying with the mortgage payment money. Hey, it's worth a try.
Hey Honey I'm thinking about moving from the Vanguard Tax Advantaged Equestrian Holdings at 0.09% expense ratio to the Vanguard Partially Tax Advantaged Equestrian Holdings at 0.07% expense ratio. ImBuyingABoatAReallyReallyExpensiveBoat. I should be able to save oh let's see 0.02% on $100,000 is about $20 per year. All that sound good? Just wanted to run it by you.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Honey I'm thinking about moving from the Vanguard Tax Advantaged Equestrian Holdings at 0.09% expense ratio to the Vanguard Partially Tax Advantaged Equestrian Holdings at 0.07% expense ratio. ImBuyingABoatAReallyReallyExpensiveBoat. I should be able to save oh let's see 0.02% on $100,000 is about $20 per year. All that sound good? Just wanted to run it by you.
That's how it is done. Those who have mastered the art are the only ones looking forward to body cameras and the new 24/7 surveillance society. "But you agreed to this boat purchase weeks ago. Let's roll the tape."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote